The previous post was removed by the author since it doesn’t reflect an official position of the Formula 48 Class Owners Association.

We are sorry for any inconvenience or confusion.

Please contact the Formula 48 Class Owners Association for more information at:

Formula48@Esmartweb.com

Looks good Dick! I cant see that pitchpoling in a hurry!

If its not blowing it sucks!

<<If it must go, I would prefer it to be toward the side, since a rudder/mainsheet recovery is a <<bit easier than a forward pitchpole.

Maybe, but not nearly as cool to watch.

Kristopher

Looks good but trading off available beam doesn’t seem too good to me; you could use a t-foil on the rudder that in combination with max beam would be much more likely to prevent pitchpole or capsize…Beautifull design!

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com
High Technology Sailing/Racing

I hope you won’t race with the pencil!(ha)
The extra beam adds to speed; speed adds to the effectiveness of the rudder t-foil which ,incidently is the SAME rudder T-foil that prevents pitchpole of a hydrofoil. The advantage of the hydrofoils is that they get the hulls away from the water thereby increasing speed more making the t-foil even more effective.
If you don’t want to use hydrofoils still use the max beam plus a t-foil then add carefully placed “anti-diving planes” to the bow of each ama so that in combination with the t-foil pitchpole is prevented. They aren’t pretty but work pretty(!) well…Giving up beam on a multihull is like selling your soul-shouldn’t be done–and doesn’t have to be.

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com

T foils on the rudders are unlikely to stop a pitchpole caused by the boat hitting a wave and stopinng, and having a wide boat holding loads of power will just mean the thing goes end’o quicker. As for pitchpoles caused by being overpowered I think the best way is to have a boat with loads of bow volume so it happens slower, giving you a chance to dump some power.

If its not blowing it sucks!

Where can I find A picture of the ( anti-diving planes )

AD foils should be designed for each specific boat as far as setting the bow up angle of the foil; you want it about 5 degrees higher than the pitchpole angle of your boat. On a F48 about 2 X 3" total area on the inboard side of each ama (or on both sides but you could damage other boats).
They should be designed to plane on the bottom surface with a squared off trailing edge.
They are a backup that works and are not a substitute for hydrofoils. Altitude controlled fully submerged hydrofoils give the best speed and best control on small multihulls–in most conditions.
You can see a full size foil designed for Hobie 16’s in the Murrays catalog(murrays.com)(?url). It is not a good design for model…

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com

http://www.murrays.com/archive/45-46.pdf

Kristopher