The" TERE" Project

[:-disguise] <font color=“blue”><font size=“2”><font face=“Impact”>“TERE”</font id=“Impact”></font id=“size2”></font id=“blue”> is the Maori word for speed. I thought it would be a suitable name for my R/C World Speed Sailing Record craft. I started work today after spending some time gathering bits & pieces and doing a lot of thinking and research. I am one of those guys who has lots of great ideas most of which come to nothing, with many projects started but never finishrd.[:-crazy]
I am my own worst enemy but quite frankly I
dont care as I am happy to muddle along in my own little world,[:-party][img]../forum1/images/speech/icon_speech_yeah.gif[/img] Anyway I have a lot of fun dreaming up cunning designs to set a World Speed Record, for a remote controlled sailing craft. I will keep you all informed of progress,(It wont happen overnight but it will happen)[:-pirate][:-propeller][;)][:-tong2]

Do it NOW before it`s too late.

Ian
I know it isn’t r/c speed, but I read the other day about a boat the Aussie’s are working with that has unofficailly clocked 50 knots. Apparently they don’t want to go for the record until they are doing this speed consistantly.

Boat is called the MacQuarie Inovator.
Peter

[:-scared] Peter, You may know that the world speed record was held by the Australian team of <font color=“orange”><font size=“2”>YELLOW PAGES</font id=“size2”></font id=“orange”> until it was taken recently by an English board sailor at the Trench, in France.
Around 47 Knots at present. Everyone is after that magical 50 Knots. <font size=“2”><font color=“red”>Macquarie </font id=“red”><font color=“red”>Inovator</font id=“red”></font id=“size2”> could possibly be the one to do it.
[:-jump2] <font color=“green”><font size=“3”>Go the AUSSIES!</font id=“size3”></font id=“green”>

<font color=“yellow”>aussie</font id=“yellow”> <font color=“green”>aussie</font id=“green”> <font color=“yellow”>aussie </font id=“yellow”><font color=“green”>oi</font id=“green”> <font color=“yellow”>oi</font id=“yellow”> <font color=“green”>oi</font id=“green”> come on be the first to go 50 knots!!!

When the Apprentice knows more than the Mentor its time to quit!

We shall see what sailrocket does soon…

So come on Ian, tell us what kinda boat your thinking of!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

Yeah, Ian what “type” boat are you thinking of? Anybody see the extremely low aspect wing sail on"Innovator"?

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

Easter Batman[:-batman]
Sorry Guys, I was away over in Australia for the week.[:-cowboy]
I have just created a Photo album site to allow me to share pictures with the world (as if the world cares)[:-blindfold]
At least some of my radio yachting friends may be interested to see that my ravings are not compleatly just hot air.
http://nz.msnusers.com/SharedPicturesIanHB
The first photo is of the basic components of the <font color=“blue”><font size=“3”>TERE</font id=“size3”></font id=“blue”> project, showing the layout. The view is from the <font color=“green”>STARBOARD</font id=“green”> side with the craft to move to the right.
The sail shown is not that which will be used, nor is it even flown the right way round in the photo, just to confuse things further.
I have since done some work on the craft so my next picture in a few days will make things more clear.[:-chef]

nice one…
IF you want to take some movies…I made an ftp server; if you want to upload movies…no problem…drop an email and your movie(s) will become available to the world [:p]

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm
http://public.fotki.com/wismerhell/

Good looking,Ian!

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

[}:)]
Some more progress today. Slowly but surely, bit by bit.
I learned some time ago that once I have applied the glue and checked alignment it is best to walk away and do something compleatly different. How many of you have, like me thought, " I might just make that join a little better" to then have the whole thing come apart in your hand, adheasive all over your hands and clothes, drop the components on the floor and make a compleat botch of the whole job? [:-dunce]
I am using model helicoptor blades for the foils and T section rudder. They are superbly made in carbonfibre and free, from those flyers who crash their choppers.[:-hypnotized]
More photos soon.[:-magnify]

Nice one Ian! I’ll have to get out and set some target times for you to beat… [;)]

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

[:-bunny]Easter Bunny.
I have posted some more photos of recent progress on my shared photos site.
These show a little better the layout and basic idea. As mentioned some time ago, the design is based on the principals illustrated on the <font color=“red”>SAILROCKET</font id=“red”> website. If I was a true designer I would have done all the calculations of buoyancy and drag and lift coeffiecents etc. This to me is a hobby and I do not have the background or education to manage the really techo stuff so for me it is trial and error.
<font size=“2”>BUT GREAT FUN. </font id=“size2”>[:-graduate]

http://nz.msnusers.com/SharedPicturesIanHB/pictures

[:-mean]
In the last couple of hours I have come up with another plan so cunning, I may meet myself coming back. Because there are only three contact points with the water, if each flotation point was to be made modualar, then different types and styles could be tried as and when each is proved to work or not.
<font color=“red”><font size=“2”>GET IT!</font id=“size2”></font id=“red”> [:-jump2]
<font color=“blue”>Edit: Monday 12 April, As I suspected there is not enough bouyency in the floats as fitted currently so it is back to the drawing board.</font id=“blue”>[:-turtle]

Download Attachment: [ TERE Project 005_edited.jpg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/IanHB/20044144141_TERE Project 005_edited.jpg)
59.38?KB
This photo shows the floatation test mentioned.
[:-bigmouth]

from the immages the floats look a bit small. how were you planing on putting all the radio gear may have been coverd befor bt not too sure

When the Apprentice knows more than the Mentor its time to quit!

[:-skull] New larger floats have been made and second test will be attempted tommorow.
Results posted after that.[:-scared]

[:-bigeyes2] A little later than planned but here is flotation test <font color=“orange”><font size=“2”>TWO.</font id=“size2”></font id=“orange”> [:-moptop]
Still not ideal so may do a rethink.
Have not been able to access the SAILROCKET site for some time. Is it them or me?
[:-nonono][:-pirate] Dont panic, dont panic, sailrocket is alive and well, I have just visited.[:-slaphappy][:-spin][:-star]
Download Attachment: [ TERE Project 002_edited.jpg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/IanHB/200451305632_TERE Project 002_edited.jpg)
57.42?KB