The Incredible Flying Moth/Historic Update

The International Fourteen Class passed a rule against allowing full flying foilers after the incredibe performance of David Luggs 14(see: www.monofoiler.com) And now after the performance by Rohan Veal in the MOTH Worlds in France just recently(and just now winning the Australian Nationals-see UPDATE below) some (hopefully a backwards minority) want to BAN full flying Moths but that’s better left to “Development Class Lunacy"under General Discussion.
This is about the incredible technology sweeping the Moth class that will after time find it’s way across the sailing spectrum to KEELBOATS flying on foils(canting keels ,of course). And I wouldn’t be surprised to see some big company introduce a foiler for the masses.
What is so incredible about the Moth is that it is flying on just TWO foils! It is trully an historic development in sailing since previous versions of hydrofoils flew on three or four foils. One foil 31”(800mm) span by
4.72"(120mm) chord on the daggerboard and one foil on the rudder and you can fly.Rohans boat uses a “wand” type altitude control system that senses the waters surface and “feedsback” to a flap on the main foil.
Rohan Veal, who has more experience by now than just about anybody else, posted this on the foiler topic under sailboats on boatdesign.net: In 8-12k wind on a triangular course he beat the other MOTHS by one full lap of the course and beat two I14’s by one full leg of the course sailing in Melbourne just the other day.
What is so cool about this system is that it doesn’t have to be blowing a gale to foil and the boat foils UPWIND as well as off the wind. In fact in many cases Rohan has shown that it is possible to tack and gybe while on foils. Just three years ago that would have been unheard of in the world of monohull foilers and extremely rare in multihull foilers.
The Moth Class is once again leading the world in the application of foil technology to sailing --after the I14’s wimped out(banning full flying foilers). Japan has just voted to keep foils on Moths and I sure hope the upcoming Australian vote is won by the foilers so we can all get to see what happens as this technology matures. One thing for sure: applying hydrofoils to monohulls is one of the most exciting of the new technologies and will surely filter down to the rc world-sooner or later.
UPDATE: Jan. 2,2004- Rohan has won the Aussie Moth Nationals(see General Discussion this date)an historic first in the history of sailing.
Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com
High Technology Sailing/Racing

BTW. Doug, hows the 16’ aeroskiff coming along?

If its not blowing it sucks!

Haven’t had any time for it since the first three weeks of tests BUT I will after the first of the year. I need a good skiff sailor as a test pilot about March-you wanna come over and sail it?!

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com

Are you serious? Yes please! Have to find some money for the flight and if It can be worked into a college holiday that would be great!

If its not blowing it sucks!

You bet I’m serious-sent you an e-mail …

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com