The AMYA

The issue is not competence or lack of it, the issue is time. I do all the “steady state” administration for the USVMYG, which involves maintaining the membership list, doing fulfillment of orders for plans, books, and back issues, and produce the newsletter. I don’t think I handle any of these tasks in an “amateurish” manner :slight_smile: but sometimes there is a burst of activity or other distraction that prevents me from responding as quickly as I would like. And yes, on occoasion I’ve been known to be curt :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Earl

Dick - I think you miss my point. ‘We’re amateurs so we can’t be expected to be good’ is an admission of defeat. I know that the AMYA runs on a vastly greater scale than the Footy Class Assciation. By the same token, it has POTENTIALLY vastly greater human resources. Harnessing these is onviously a problem, but it can be done. If you can’t get people to work for you, say so - loudly. Don’t lapse into some sort of goop mentality that makes a virtue out of mediocrity.

To my mind, if you take up a responsible position in the administration of model yachting, running your organisation shuld be every bit as important to you as your boat getting round the windward mark first - if not more so.

I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have got involved in this - it’s a American matter - but I see so much of the same thinf here with the MYA that it doesn’t take much to trigger a rant.

A sticky issue, this volunteer thing.

I’ve stayed out of this discussion to this point, but since I consider both Pete and Angus as friends…well, here goes.

I think Pete has done a really good job bringing the AMYA to a new level of professionalism and activity. I also have a great deal of empathy for the issues around being a volunteer while still working for a living. My job, for example, requires travel. That means I’m not always available when people might like. I also admit there are times when I’ve just had enough…and I’m only AMYA Footy Class Secretary…and I let things go for a while for personal sanity reasons. I’m not bragging about my successes or making excuses for my failures…it’s just what I need to do.

The concept of volunteer is often misunderstood I think. I “volunteered” to take on the job of Class Secretary because of my enthusiasm for Footys, what I felt was their potential for the sport, and the leadership position or credibility I’d attained as an early proponent of the boats. So when asked to serve I agreed…and noone else was picking up the ball. Sometimes one ends up in a leadership position because others simply stand back. The growth of the class has been gratifying, and justifies the effort. That said, I’d be the first to say I’m not the best at administrative activities. If someone more skilled were willing to take over, I’d be happy to pass on the responsibility.

Angus, on the other hand, has extraordinary organizational skills and an untiring bull-dog attitude that gets things moving. I admire that a great deal. We all have strengths and weaknesses, though, and diplomacy is probably not his strong suit. Angus tends to judge others by the standard he sets for his dedication to class administration. That’s understandable, but perhaps not entirely fair. Many of us “volunteers” care a great deal and work hard, but feel a need for balance in our lives beyond model yachting…and each of us has our own unique needs in that regard.

Bottom line of my rant, I think both Pete and Angus do a tremendous job…each in his own way. Both have great successes to their credit, as well as occasional lapses of judgement. They are, like me…like us all, very human beings. And isn’t it wonderful that we are not all alike, and that we have places like this to bring us together to talk about our passions.

Angus and Pete, thanks from me for your part in keeping this sport that I love alive and well. Given what you contribute, I’m more than willing to forgive the occasional oops on both sides of the pond. I hope others will, too.

Bill H

I hate to keep stirring this pot, but Bill, while what you say is true and covers many volunteers, it is truly unfortunate the efforts can only be seen from “inside” - since those who do not volunteer are just plain uneducated about the facts and the work that is being done.

If one were to try to tell non-volunteers about what is being done, the eyeballs usually roll around and little interest is given since everyone thinks of us as being on a " rant" - seldom are comments viewed as being educational, since a non-volunteer doesn’t know and seldom cares, unless it’s a personal thing and then it does matter.

All the folks that volunteer are giving up personal time. Some give more than others - because they can or because they want to. I’m suggesting before one opens up issues to the public without knowing/caring - it might be advisable to ask direct questions of persons invovled - since a family death as example - can create a big lag in what members expect from those giving their time.

And for those reading, a simple question is logical - “Have you volunteered for a race committee position?” Right there is a thankless task, and most will respond they don’t know how - even though hints, tips are provided (by AMYA on their site) and it’s the best way to learn - by assisting.

Again - not a rant, but an opportunity for education.

Pete and Bill - and all volunteers - thanks for making our hobby so enjoyable.

Dick

But Dick, surely you - of all people - are making my point. It isn’t a thankless task at all. I thoroughly enjoy being Mr. Footy UK for its own sake. It’s fun. It gives me an opportunity to use my imagination, grasp opportunities and run with them. And I proud - very proud - of the team we’re putting together to make it happen. Our aim (note the Our) is that Footys should be the best run, fastest growing, most fun class in Britain with the highest rate of new recruitment into model sailing. That’s quite a challege: but if it wasn’t difficult it wouldn’t be worth taking on.

Do I qualify as an insider too? :slight_smile:

angus
this post is not to get you angry or upset. but just to point out one simple fact. i have my own issiuses. with the amya.
i am glad you have taken up the post of “mr footy U.K.” but can you tell me what you have done? did you make flyers?. did you run a reggata? the people that make the magazine. also run division. and i think there is the rub. i know poeple are going to jump on me for this. BUT i think the structor( that is not spell right) is wrong now. when a small magazine is started . it makes sense. but as dick pionted out. too few people are doing too many things do we have a marblehead captain,YES. but can he also cover all the marblehead stuff across the country? no. can he also come up with ideas to promote the class across the country. maybe. but he also has to write an article.
you want my opionion. i think we need to look at each divison. as its own little seperate section.
we have an editor. who should be just that. sit back and wait for each article to come in and asamble the magazine.
he needs to get an article from each captain. who gets in contact with each zone ( captain for lack of a better word) to see what is going on.
that would put the onus on each zone to report something
the editor could get someone to report how they are building a project. LIKE ( sorry larry) larry ludwig,.how to vacume bag. or how to lay up a hull in a mold.
now with this setup. with some tweaking. we could get the mag. out faster. and easier. just a few emails. and we got a magazine. with less hassle.
each class captian. is responsible for promoting his class. much like dick does here. every time he gets he is plugging multis. and i give him credit. he is doing a good job.:zbeer:

American Model Yachting Assoc. started out 37 years ago as the “American” MYA. It wasn’t to be the “USA” MYA because a number of the original founders and members were Canadian. For the first few years of AMYA about 15% of the membership were in Canada. Currently 76 Canadians are AMYA members. Many, if not most, are also member of the CMYA. AMYA members can also be found in Switzerland, Norway, England, Bermuda, Germany, Australia, Japan, Spain and Italy.

From the beginning it was obvious that communication via a Quarterly Newsletter would be needed in order to justify sending in membership dues. That mimeographed mailing was the glue that kept the association together, going and growing. The Quarterly Newsletter developed into today’s Model Yachting magazine. For the past ten years the magazine averages 64 pages. The typical issue involves the input of some three to four dozen volunteers who do the writing, editing, proofreading, photo taking, illustrations, ads and formatting. For the past ten years Model Yachting magazine hasn’t run short of material. Articles sometimes need get postponed to future issues when page space comes available.

The current issue of Model Yachting (#150, Winter 2007) is a good example of what AMYA and the magazine are all about. The IOM class was featured. Folks influential and knowledgeable of the class provided the entire AMYA membership with a real understanding of the IOM. Graham Bantock’s article was really impressive. With words, hull form drawings and charts he provided a description and comparison of twenty-one popular IOM designs. Every reader is bound to be amazed at the research Graham did when preparing the article. Another article by John Davis describes Jon Elmaleh’s plan to mass-produce and be able to sell at a reasonable price his race winning IOM, Twang. Brig North wrote four articles: Lester Gilbert’s Website, When to Change IOM Rigs, Purchasing Goods from Overseas and IOM Tuning – Diagnosing Speed Problems and Remedies. Other articles in Model Yachting’s Technical Editor Dick Lemke’s section included a description of how to assemble the sail rig of large boats like the Santa Barbara O-D. And, there is another great article by John Fisher and Mark Gee:Thoughts on Scratch-Building a Vintage 10-Rater. It contains hull-shadow line drawings and fifteen very good photos. When you consider all the technical articles, all the class news columns, all the regatta reports, all the AMYA business news, and all the other stuff that goes into the typical issue it becomes obvious that a whole lot of determined volunteers can produce a very professional magazine.

Knowing that there are many non-members who will be interested in getting a copy of Model Yachting #150 a quantity of extras have been printed. Actually, most every back issue of the magazine is available by ordering from the AMYA Ship’s Store. For a copy of your own go to http://www.shipsstoremodelyacht.com/index.htm.

Rich Matt