Ten Rates hulls

Hello there

I am new to the forum and hoping I can tap the collective brain power here for some ideas on finding 10 rater candidates with with flatish rocker line and light displacement that would be suitable for a canting keel conversion. The side view of the Tomahawk looks ok, but the website gives no indication of how wide it is. I have recently finished modifying a YAMAHA from Tamiya and a now looking for a new challenge. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525614&page=4
I would be grateful for any tips or other possible candidates.

Regards

Daniel

Might try the 10 Rater AMYA Class Secretary Mark Gee - seems logical and my guess if there are any registered, he would know. Did you try him via AMYA website?

I always thought that the Viper Marblehead by Bob STerne would be a good canting keel design, although recently I have been thinking a slightly wider design would be better.

I have tracked down the manufacturer of this hull in Australia, which looks like it could be good. What I am not sure about is how much usable height I have inside to get a decent lever on the keel for the canting system. I looked at the Viper on the homepage, but there really is not very much detail to see there.

Regards

Daniel

You could always cut a hole in the deck and put a little doghouse cabin on top to keep everything waterproof. It may not be ideal, but given the apparent skill you have working with the materials at hand, I would guess you could keep a sleek look and easily increase your usable height for the keel.

Graham

Thank you for the speedy replies. I like almost everything about the AUS hull except for the bow. My model will not be rule conform and therefore does need the overhang. My ideal would be something along the lines of Alfa Romeo, long, narrow, flat, light and seriously quick. I am waiting to get some more info from the Viper, Tomahawk and AUS (Placebo) manufacturers.

Regards

Daniel

why don’t you try something with a more powerful hull shape such as the VOR70 or Maximus, when they heel, they have a small waterplane. and it is better for downwind work. in the syd hobart last year, both ABN and Maximus were infront of Wild Oats (basically a copy of AR). also, where WO was having to ease of on the gas the other boats would have been pushing harder.

I somewhat agree, but does a wider flatter boat NOT sail upwind as nice? Also, with a canting keel even when running in a broad reach, these big boats don’t heel that much even with the ridiculous amount of sail area they carry. I can understand your point, but I think a boat similar to AR would offer a better all around platform, where Maximus and the VOR 70 seem to me to be more downwind oriented, which (let’s face it) isn’t the ideal condition for an RC yacht, unless moveable ballast forward and aft was introduced along with the canting keel.

I spent a day at the Swiss Nautic Expo last week looking after our A Cat stand. To my surprise and delight I discovered a Hitech boat builder from Germany with a carbon model of exaclty what I have been looking for. The model is of a 48ft Racer that is to be built some time soon and he is prepared to make a hull and deck for me :zbeer: He currently builds a radical 10.5 m racer http://www.sa-yachtdesign.de/d/bildergalerie.html with canting keel, it is the boat on the poster behind the model. The model is 1.45m (about 58 in.) and very narrow at the waterline. I am looking forward to an interesting building project.

regards

Daniel

Is he offering/selling plans? Or are you going to do it by eye? Very nice looking boat.

I didn’t ask him about plans. He built the model purely for Expo and marketing purposes. He is very busy with his ysa-10 at the moment and seemed surprised that someone might be interested in the model hull. I hope to have a few more details from him at the beginning of next week. I think I could make something quite fast out of that. I found a chap on Ebay that modifies servos quite reasonably and bought a servo that has 16 kg of Torque with 6v and does approx. 60-70 turns :spin: and weights 56g (about the size of a standard servo) that might work well on the canting system.

Regards

Daniel

Any word??

Unfortunately not, I have also been too busy to think about it, but I will get round to it soon , I hope.

Regards

Daniel