Tamiya Yamaha or Kyosho Seawind?

Hi!
A group of people living in China are interested in buying some RC boats for doing races between them.
Living here we have to look at the possibilities of buying a boat that can be imported easily and also being easy to buy spare parts.
What we want is an easy to build or assembly boat as we are more interested in sailing than in modelling so our choice will be for the most fun sailing, reliable, fast and, of course, better quality/price.
We can choose between Tamiya Yamaha 60 or Kyosho Seawind…
Any advice will be very much appreciated.

as i’ve heard the kyosho is a good boat. i think better than the tamiya… but when in doubt go for the victoria by thunder tiger[:D] i have one and i love it easy to sail and a great boat. be sure to get hi torque servos for the sails though otherwise you’ll be doing like i do and triming your sails when you tack or go head to wind (my hi torque servo died so i have to use my spare rudder servo stupid lo torque servos)[:-bigeyes] but yeah seawind or victoria. “subliminal message” viiiiccctoorriaaaaa

i love tinkering with these boats it takes up time i’m sure my girfreind is going to hate it soon

without any doubt…Seawind…
as for the Tamiya parts are getting hard to come by lately…keep this in mind!

for further infos about the Seawind check www.seawindrc.com check the waterproof hatch! this is very critical…you can also check my webpage about the hatch.

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

I don’t know anything about the Tamiya, however I do have a Seawind. This boat sail quite nice right out of the box. Other than the hatch issue that Wis spoke about this boat is winner. For the price it is a great entry level boat.

Tom
Seawind #80

hello sailors,
on smooth water and moderate winds, the seawind slices and is faster than the whitbread 60. but once the water starts getting choppy, the seawind plows into the waves and slows down while the whitbread 60 simply rides over the chop. i still have a photo of the two boats match racing in open sea, just email me and i’ll can send a copy
ed

I don’t know if they carry them, but I’ve had excellent servie from www.rotor.com.sg - easy to deal with and cheap cheap cheap. I, too, would go with, of the 2 choices, the Seawind.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme, Wind in the Willows.

Check out the Laser. Ready to sail. I have kept in the middle of the US-1M fleet with mine but no one else had one so I gave it and bought another for my grandchildren. The parents hog them. They are almost indistructable and guaranteed. If you have less than 10 mph winds I would buy the “A” rig. Go together in minutes. Some one in New York rents them with no problems. I believe they are made in China maybe you can make arrangements. I believe the best beginner boat.

The Laser is manufactured by Out There Technologies in Brooklyn NY.
I can’t say anything negative about it other than I wish there were more around here so I could race mine.

Bill

The AMYA featured the Laser in their Summer 2002 # 128. The Laser is manufactured by a toy company in China for John Elmaleh. I believe Steve Lang handles most stuff from Colorado. Model Sailing Center.com or SailRCLaser.com

I will spare everyone too much of the Seawind ‘commercial’ that you’ve seen me post before, but I will say a couple of things…

A sailing buddy of mine has BOTH a Seawind AND a Laser, and he likes both a lot. The Laser is great in heavy air because you can buy the optional C rig for it (there is also an A rig for light air) and the boat is extremely tough and durable, and requires very little building.

I just have a ‘thing’ for sloops (like the Seawind)… I like the ‘classic’ look of a sloop-rigged boat. The Laser doesn’t do anything for me asthetically at all, but I realize that is only a small part of why a person buys a boat. The Seawind is a little less expensive (especially if you opt for the optional sails and the carry bag for the Laser) and is also very easy to build, though it will take a beginner at least a weekend to assemble one.

Andy
Seawind #149
Victoria #556

Air Capitol Model Sailing Club
www.acmsc.org

just for info…
he can get a SW or a TAMIYA…!!! cant really understand why the Laser came into here!

Wis

Sorry that was me. Reading what his concerns and interests were I thought the Laser was a better choice. He did not come in and say it was not available to them. I think the S/W is a very wet boat because of the 1 1/2 " nose. I don’t like the hatch either this makes it unreliable but you did make mention of a new option. The Laser should be available to them because it is made in China.

The SW is a wet boat in medium to strong winds…hatch and nose diving! yup thats so right!..the hatch problem was cleared by many owners, Andy made an article posted on www.seawindrc.com , I did another way on my webpage…both are working great!
As for the nose diving, I tried a few things…guess what??? after more than 3 months of non rc sailing activity…I am back…today will be the first sailing day of this year…worked a lot on the SW and other boats…time to test…so unpatient…guys, forgive me…but today its sailing time…I wont be hanging on the net!!

Good wind to all of you_!!!

Wis

Wis is right… the hatch problem is fairly easy to remedy, and that clears up any concerns about it being a ‘wet’ boat.

Yes, it can have a tendancy to nosedive, but I only find that happens in winds in excess of 14 or 15mph, and even then it’s easy to recover and sail on… it’s a minor annoyance. My Vic has been known to do the same exact thing.

Andy
Seawind #149
Victoria #556

Air Capitol Model Sailing Club
www.acmsc.org

Wonder what Richina ended up getting? He never responded to any of the posts. I have 2 Seawinds and 2 Tamiya Yamaha RTW. I think he’d be a winner with either one!
If you are out there Richina let us know what you ended up with.