"TALL SAILING SHIPS"

What do you think about “TALL SAILING SHIPS” as a name for a forum…with a little add on description that says …schooners, brigs, brigatines, barks, barkentines and fully rigged tall ships.

These ships are in a class all their own and seem to get lost in the mix.

Just a idea! [:-batman]

Always choose the lesser of the two weevils!

A ‘Scale Sail’ forum would be good it has to be said…

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

Wasn’t this asked before Jaydee? But it seems Chad has not had the time to flip it into it’s own section. Sure is a pain in the butt to locate.

HogHappy
I agree scale sail / tall ships does seem to get lost in the mix. I do not believe a seperate forum from this one will work. Seperate section YES.
Promotion of scale sail/ Tall ships has not been a really importante thing in either of the national bodies(( AMYA and the CRYA)I could be wrong with this comment)) Granted there are a few clubs that promote the schooners but it is unfortante they do not 1) keep thier web sites upto date 2)respond to emails sent to them. (HINT HINT HINT)

Jeff
Alberta

Gentlemen…thanks for the quick response…and…it may have been me that asked about the forum once before…I can’t remember as I am exploring all the active RC sailing websites I can locate that might be interested in the “Tall Sailing Ship” forum idea and making my pitch.

I have read the entire thread on “Scale Sail” and feel IMHO that this thread has more to do with sail powered boats/yachts than sail powered multi-masted ships. I also think it is too concerned (for my newbie tastes)about every little scale detail(keel/ballast and sail dimensions come to mind)…perhaps that is why it’s called “scale sail”?

I am not sure that my so called “1/24 scale” schooner will qualify for this forum as it has a removable 22lb ballast hanging from the keel and I am sure that some of the other things such as rigging diameter and sail thickness are not in perfect true scale either.

I didn’t mean to get off on this tangent but I did and if I am out of line just make me walk the plank…[:-pirate]

I really would like to see a stand alone forum at this site for “Tall Sailing Ships”.

I want to learn and contribute to this hobby and help to promote it so to attract other newbies…arrrrhhhhh…fresh meat![B)]

Thanks

Having re-read the entire scale thread, I now see that it does deal with schooners a lot more than I first realized.

Just goes to show that the “tall ship” idea might get enough traffic to stand alone.

I sure would like to see how the Prince performs next to the Blue! [:-viking]

HogHappy

My friend there are lots of different sailers here. Some are really concerned with having boats to scale. Others are not, they fall into the group that just want to sail. If I read it correctly you are in this group.

Not a lot of people are sailing boats like yours Hoghappy. I sure wish I was. It is beautiful. MAybe one day I will. But for now I have to build boats and ask lots of questions. (I think Cougar is going crazy with the number of Questions I ask [:-banghead])

At times people get to picky on the scale thing but hey that is what turns thier crank . Others ask questions in regards to scale to enable the designing of a boat( ie US1M to a schooner) or to make a boat sailable(keel/ballast wieghts) Yes I even asked about cabin and deck items and thier construction Why? I was interested in how they are built. Jaydee supplied a great answer and even pointed out to watch for wieght of these items. (Thanks JayDee)

Adding deck items and cabins is a way to personalise your boat. Could not fathom every boat been the same in a class. Kind of Boring. Look at the Mary J Ward schooner lots of photos of the same boat but each is different and the owner has added or changeds something to his/her liking.

HogHappy ask your questions or put your comments in the scale sail section for now it is the best we have going. and maybe one day we will have a seperate forum for Tall Ships.

Will we make you walk the plank? hmmmmmm not likely. Buy us all a drink maybe.

Jeff
Alberta

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by JayDee

Hoghappy,
<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>I sure would like to see how the Prince performs next to the Blue! <hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>
<font color=“red”><font size=“3”>ANYTIME</font id=“size3”></font id=“red”> you are ready!, round the Buoys?, any time!!
John.
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Oh…I forgot to mention that I get to use my cannon as needed to even out the odds…what’s a few more holes here and there anyway! [:-eyebrows]

Robert

Hello Hoghappy! -
Would you consider this as “Tall Sailing Ship”???

Download Attachment: [ Bonduelle 78 inch - 1.jpg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/Idealist/2004813822_Bonduelle 78 inch - 1.jpg)
70.32KB

Download Attachment: [ Bonduelle 78 inch - 2.jpg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/Idealist/20048138226_Bonduelle 78 inch - 2.jpg)
71.79KB

Professional shipwright - boatbuilder/-designer with 25 years of experience and a special interest in multhulls

Nah, when you can get on a ladder and STILL not reach the mast head then you are getting some height [:-bigeyes]

Download Attachment: [ SHAMRIG1.JPG](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/larry Ludwig/2004813141713_SHAMRIG1.JPG)
60.84KB

Both ships of you are GREAT! - Not just tall! -
Really incredible! -
Ernst

Professional shipwright - boatbuilder/-designer with 25 years of experience and a special interest in multhulls