Submarining Cured: Hull DEsign Free Uo

Very simple. Use a una rig wih a rotating nast (or something that does the same job). When pressed down wind, you simply let the sheet out to the point that the sail turns into a flag. Job done and dusted!

A.

something like this seems to get the job done.

OK Kiwi Smarty Pants. But mine’s simpler and nicer than yours!

A.

You think I would show you the latest version???

No more than I would!

A.

Angus,
It seems to me that the same effect could be achieved with a conventional rig simply by sheeting in somewhat, thereby presenting less sail area directly to the wind. Sort of like sheeting in the main on a big boat when doing a controled gybe.
Bill
ps; some shots of my unarig below, (inspired by Brett)

Yes, sure. The only problem is that just before that ‘controlled’ gybe, the boom may be under control but the boat usually isn’t - or only marginally so. Even on quite big boats I just flick the boom across just before it wants to go of its own accord.

Nice pics. Interesting!

A.

Angus,
You must have been sailing too many IORs (with the pinched transom)…:wink:

The point you make is that the main is largely depowered, thereby reducing pitching moment. I agree. That was my point too…:slight_smile:

Thanks

Bill

Bill ! As my brother said of one exciting night with a Golden Shamrock ( Mk.1 Holland Half Ton) ‘There we were screaming along with the main there, the spinnaker there and the blooper there. Thenn we had the main there, the spinnaker there and the blooper there. And that was before she gybed.’ Horrid boats!