Station shadows?

Okay, I need someone to explain a phrase I’ve seen in several RG65 posts. Just what is meant or implied by “station shadows”? There were several references to these in the “nArrow 5” build thread. I’ve pulled off the various files that Claudio posted about the nArrow 3 and nArrow5. After comparing all the stations drawings, I cannot reverse engineer just what might be meant by the “station shadow” phrase.

I freely acknowledge apparent ignorance about this aspect of boat building vocabulary, but would like to get smarter. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Dick, and Claudio, I have really enjoyed your posts about sailboat design and model building. I can only hope to begin to understand.

Thanks,
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL

Hi Jim,
welcome !
Your question is rather simple to answer with a couples of images.
“Stations” is identifying the position of a “Frame” along a mounting support
“Frames” & “Shadows” are so named depending the World region and are the solid elements used to support the covering hull material, most of the time are wood stripes or wood sheets. It can be metal sheets for real boats.
That’s all
ClaudioD

PS: I do suggest readings :
www.theamya.org/boats/us1m/pdf/us1mconst.pdf

http://pages.swcp.com/usvmyg/construction/construc.htm

Good morning Claudio,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I should go take a look at the references you provided. My question about “Shadow stations” came out of some prior work with ship models from Corel, Mantua, and Model Shipways. I’ve built plank-on-bulkhead, plank-on-frame, and moulded hulls where the hull is built upside down on a set of frames that may or may not remain in the hull. It is just that I have never encountered the term “shadow stations”. It made me wonder if there was something like an offset frame “close to” a normal station position.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim -

Just possible the term was coined by someone to explain the cross-section shape of a hull when the word “bulkhead” confused folks into thinking “a wall”. Plank-on-bulkhead can be used to define strips on stations. Perhaps the word “shadow” came about to indicate that station will/would eventually be removed after completion of gluing up the strips (or planks). If familiar with “your” terms, and for those still scratching their head, picture a loaf of bread which is the general shape of the hull. Cutting slices along the length would be “stations”, and if spread out along the cutting board, and adding strips lengthwise, one would see the shape of the bread loaf as more strips were added.

Now I’m hungry - think I’ll go make a sandwich . :wink: