Sprinta RC

This is for all that are interested in the Ramoser Sprinta RC!
I met Alan yesterday who linked me to this forum of which I am thrilled to have heard of! Thanks for that
Please dont hesitate to ask any questions that may arise…

For once, the winch we use is the RMG 380 EH, but it not the one available on the market. Ours was enhanced with a exponential function on both sides (endpoints). That enables the skipper to trim very precisely when beating…
Hence, the dimensions and specifications (the mass) stays as the usual RMG winch (175 grams). The drum on the otherhand is made by us…

The reason for this winch couldnt be easier, it is the only winch that can manage the high powers acting from the big genoa together with the needed 9.6 resolutions!
We are nonetheless always looking and testing for better and cheaper solutions, but at the moment this is the best solution

And we do offer the RC package alone including this winch and the plate on which it is fixed inside the Sprinta RC hull

Cheers, H Ramoser

Hi Hannas,

Thanks for the info about the customised winch used in the Sprinta, prehaps you missed ClaudioD question posted in introduction forum

Hannas,

Could you provide a drawing/description of how the sheet control works?

Hi ClaudioD,
Sorry, I must have missed those questions!
This system can theoretically be used on most boats…the winch has 9.6 resolutions which, using our drum, has a maximum travel of about 120 cm in 1.8 seconds. If that suits your model then it can be used for that.

The answer to the 8 kilograms of mass is simple. Personally I race in the starboat class and there the higher weight makes a big difference compared to dingys i’ve sailed before (especially influencing the starting tactic), it kind of makes it more of a challenge.
And when looking at the RC models around I find it hard to see the big challenge (which in my case comes in hand with ambition) , all boats are more or less the same and all are fast and quickly surf and that is fantastic but with the Sprinta RC we wanted to create something else, bring it back to real sailing. And so we stayed strictly to the scale of 1/6 (1800kg / (666)=8,3 kg). We are thrilled of how similar the model is to the original in performance!

cheers, h

And heres a drawing of the sheet system…

Tank you for the reply Hannas
Cheers
ClaudioD

Hannas - perhaps you overlooked the “multihull” - since a 1.2 or 2 meter sails pretty darn close to a real one, and obviously a lot faster without the lead. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, the multihulls are an exception! :slight_smile:
My uncle and I compete in real Sprinta races so took the possibility to accurately measure the original at home and plot it into the computer to develop the model…instead of finding a multihull to go from…

Following the discovery of this new Class one year ago, I have the pleasure of posting my first Sprinta regatta report.

Day One:

This annual event is organised by the designer & manufacturer of the Sprinta Christian Ramoser, GER 007 & was held this year at Aidenried on Ammersee, Germany amongst the beautiful rolling landscape in Bayern just south of Munich where the men love their beer, and the cows are allowed to eat grass outside & Kangaroos have bouncing balls, still not sure what this means (always thought they bounced anyway…)

The event was held over two days with Saturday designated as training and tuning day that is always appreciated by us green horns with Sprinta to learn the latest tips & tricks from the veterans in the class. To my knowledge (?) this is the only RC sailing class in the world that uses a Genoa headsail, using single winch drum to control both Main and Genoa, a complicated concept that was simplified by Christian Ramoser when he scaled his original Sprinta Supersport to the Sprinta RC using the super fast RMG that helps makes this very successful RC sailing class with over 90 boats now been built.

For those interested you can read my Sprinta RC (Steinlager NZL-069) assembly thread here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1479438

When I picked up my boat last year Christian gave me the run down on basic set-up that included having forward rake on the mast, being a fixed mast step I’d often thought was little different and had been playing with mast tilt and changing ballast but was never completely satisfied that I’d ever got it right, so this first day I wanted to learn from the Sprinta Masters.

I should have known there is as many different opinion as there are boats (remember this it is one boat design class with all boats coming from the same mould) … hmmm ok thought I would firstly start out with standard recommended setup and take it from there, I’d met up with Torsten Hill (Tiny Tor) a super cool & jolly guy who had most radical setup on his Monster (GER 019) and we trained together, swapping boats and notes.

The wind on Saturdayy afternoon was 11-15 knots with small waves (no caps) and logic said mast should be tilted forward with 800 grams ballast in the stern, but Tiny Tor had his mast racked back a few cms from norm, with no ballast, his boat felt like it sailed more in the groove upwind compared to mine and he quickly jerry rigged my forestay so it was roughly two cms longer & bingo I was on the pace with the top skippers.

With the Sprinta being having wide beam and shallow rocker I could only conclude that the stronger wind speed pushed the bow down more upwind (without the stern ballast) that brought the CE back into a balanced helm position in 11-15 knot wind range.

Down wind was completely different story, the big Genoa sail area is very difficult get the windows open (wing-on-wing) unless you use a batten in the foot of the Genoa that helps keep the Genoa open. The Sprinta comes with 3 x 0.5 mm carbon batten that you can slide into a pocket.

I personally find the standard batten to be too short and stiff to have controlled chamber and looking at other boats the best tip found was to use a full length tapered batten (progressive chamber) that had lot of flex (very thin) that Ludwig Ressle was using on his GER 055, I didn’t have anything on hand so had to settle for my stiffer short batten that later in day two snapped in half.

This is what happens running when you don’t have batten in the foot of the Genoa

With constant wind on the afternoon of the first day, we all had fun banging the cans and with myself getting used to using a Genoa control on the transmitter, this take some getting used too compared to traditional Jib set-up, but with well controlled tack the boat goes about very smoothly, just like a big boat, get it wrong and can get into all sorts of trouble (which I did often) just like big boats.

Trick from Tiny Torstens Monster was to change winch control on the transmitter from up-down (starboard-port) to left-right on the sail stick, for me it felt much more natural having port on left & starboard on right stick position.

The numb skull skipper of Steinlager, NZL 069 (namely me) had a Kiwi blond moment when my receiver died on me & on changing over to new one I put the winch cable into the wrong channel slot and spend next two hours trouble-shooting including dissembling the transmitter and the RMG looking for loose connection or something only to have Tiny Tor walk up and have quick look and tell me that the RMG winch cable was in the power channel and not where it should be in channel 3 …remember the RMG controls power from battery through winch channel & you don’t have cable coming directly from the battery …sheesh Kiwi, shet happens uh !

Then late in the afternoon Michael Hirsch Sprinta, Conch Republic (GER 080) got tangled with another boat on the Lee buoy that ended in beaching of both boats, no visible hull damage was evident and both were quickly back on the water, but few minutes later Michaels boat was not handling normally and he brought it dockside to find the two blocks at the stern for the Genoa circuit had disappeared (exploded) only the bolts were left in the deck and the circuit line had cut itself into hull, can only guess there was a jam in the Genoa circuit when boat was beached and the brutal power from the RMG caused the damage.

Saturday ended with lot of happy faces after great training day on the water and we all meet up for dinner together and exchanging ideas. Michael worked through the evening and managed to have GER 080 ready for race day.

Day Two:

Arrived at the course around 9 am Sunday morning to find the lake was blanketed in thick fog that did not lift until after lunch, with very light wind coming from the South 1-3 knots in the morning that moved around to the north in the afternoon with 4-6 knots.

Fourteen boats & skippers registered and race briefing conducted by Christian where days racing rules were the fun type, just round the cans in triangular course in right direction and pay for a beer to other skipper at lunch, if you incurred a penalty….I could see I was going to be buying lot of beers. :stuck_out_tongue:

In the morning races the top skippers jumped to the front pretty quickly with Calle Scholz GER 058 dominating the morning racing with 4,1,1 followed closely by Ludwig Ressle (GER 055) with 1,3,4 and Christian Ramoser (GER 007) 13,4,2.

The morning challenge was light air in heavy fog where majority of the field having trouble with circulating air coming into the windward mark, a lot beers were lost with numerous attempts to get around the mark, your truly was waving the kiwi flag with 5,5 then 14th Yip … I had another kiwi blond moment in the morning when I forgot to press that start button on my charging in the morning my transmitter batteries and got caught with my pants in my gumboots in race three when the dreaded beep, beep, beep sound started … I was toasted !!!

Around 12:30 the wind just died and race director called for lunch break, now you may think you have big Steaks in the U.S.A but Tiny Tor ordered a Weiner Schnitzel that made my bed blanket look like a nose tissue ….wow !!! :crazy:

After lunch the fog had lifted and Bayern keep up its reputation of having great autumn weather one minute and perfect the next with warm afternoon sunshine and the course was moved to accommodate the change to a northerly wind with constant 4-6 knots and racing began.

Now I thought my strategy of incurring penalties in the morning with the front runners was going to pay off with all those beer penalties :wink: as Calle Scholz with Musto (GER 058) posted a 9,12 & Ludwig Ressle (GER 055) posted 6,3 and Christian Ramoser (GER 007) came in with a 3,6 …the beer was working !!! however a sleeper popped up :weeping: with Armin Selinka with Candida (GER 011) bugger he didn’t have beer over lunch and he scored 1,4 and the Kiwi posted 2,7 but man-o-man what a great day racing !! :bouncy:

Who was the winner ? … everyone with a Sprinter that was there !! this is one fantastic boat that can handle wide range of conditions and it is pure fun fun fun all day, every day.

The official placings of the day:

1. Ludwig Ressle – Hallori – GER 055
  2. Armin Selinka – Candida-GER 011
  3. Calle Scholz – Musto-GER 058
  4. Alan Wymer-Steinlager-NZL 069
  5. Christioph Rehekampff-GER 001
  6. Torsten Hill-Monster-GER 019
  7. Christian Ramoser-GER 007
  8. Meile Scholz—BlueStyle-GER 018
  9. Jule Scholz- Mei Liaba II- GER 005
  10. Michael Hirsch – Conch Republic-GER 080
  11. Michael Salmeri-Santa Vela – GER 159
  12. Phillip Ramoser-LOL—GER 088
  13. Manuel Salmeri-Aro – GER 087
  14. Peter Zeis-Halbtrocken-GER 013

On behalf of all Sprinta skippers I would wish to warm heartily thank Christian Ramoser for fantastic weekend and for the help of Katrin Scholz, Christiane Ramoser with the event organisation and scoring.

Cheers Alan :zbeer:

P.S Next year I’m going to try the only cheat in sailing a Sprinta I know …. practice, practice and more practice !

Just Great !
ClaudioD

Some on board vids from last regatta, thanks to Michael GER 080.

You can see how Michael has got tacking down pat with the Genoa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsnS1OelzUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYLHayP2w5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQiIYKgKVq0

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,
very nice from board and good images too.
I have seen that the scissors split setting during running is not very evident, and the genua is hidden by the main at 100%.
There was a little trial but …!
There is a limitation also with the genua sheeting, would be nice with an independent servo, to introduce the maneuver and let the genua getting more wind when reaching as on real ! The manual adjusted position is not efficient imho to cover the sailing range !
Was nice anyhow and considering that all have similar adjustment limitation, at the end is not a problem !
May be Ramoser could add another servo with close loop string to adjust the rail ring position. This will give more fun to the sailors !

Cheers
Claudio

Hi Claudio,

Getting the Genoa to open wing-on-wing is a skill one needs to work-on especially in light wind and having a batten in the foot of the Genoa is the trick where you need to have right flexibility so it will travel around the mast without breaking and stiff enough to put chamber in the Genoa.

The wide beam of the boat helps open the Genoa down-wind and much easier if your not running square. I think the wide beam is one of the factors one needs to consider with Genoa as it is part of the problem I’ve had trying to migrate it onto a AC 120.

The Genoa traveller has 65 mm “manual adjustment” maybe adding a servo to adjust twist under sail would be interesting but then would need to have servo for Genoa sheet adjustment for chamber control would be needed as well, one without the other may not make sense?

The one additional arm servo (apart from rudder) that is standard with the boat is used to adjust main sheeting (separate from Genoa sheeting) on the left stick, I only use the micro adjustment to adjust main boom angle to control the gap between Main/Genoa and find it a great trimming aid under sail.

Some others are using the extra servo as a brake on the main sheeting line so that the boom does not open all the way when tacking, but I find if you time it right, the speed of the RMG catches the boom before it swings out in light air, maybe it’s different story in heavy conditions, which I have yet to experience.

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,
there is already the genoa sheet control, there is no need to add anything else.
What I was intending is that instead of adjusting manually the travel on ground once for all, would be simple to added a close circuit sheeting to move the ring along the rail and probably more then 65mm to get benefit from. This will let the genoa sheet follow the natural shape of the genoa when reaching or broad reaching instead of forcing the sheet down to the deck.
In that way the genoa could “bread” more air ! Up to the sailor to adjust the correct setting during sailing.
I suppose that only one genoa size is used , otherwise similar adjustment should be added further after and eventually on the same close loop string.
A simple drawing to explain.

Cheers
ClaudioD

Hi Claudio,

Your right about the Genoa sheeting control, I have over-done it having bowsie adjustment, I’ll take it off.

The aft extended traveller adjustment your suggesting is interesting, manual would be no problem but servo driven is bit of a challenge.

Currently there is is only one Genoa size for the class but Ramoser is testing a smaller option, when I know something I will post update.

Cheers Alan

Alan, i have had a smaller sail made for my sprinta which required the fitting of new fairlead rails, the wind over here is generally higher than in Germany so the smaller sail makes the boat much easier to handle. I have also fitted the main sheet brake by Stephan which stops the main losing power during the tack. Will post photos soon.

Dick.

Hi Dick,

Very interested what you are doing, can you share any details about what you have done ? & looking forward to photo’s also.

Currently I’m looking and “trying” to more learn about sail plans on AC 120 and now trialing changing Jib area ratio to main for stronger wind conditions rather than changing the whole rig, as mentioned earlier C. Ramoser is on the same track with Genoa for the Sprinta, will be interesting what he comes up with something, hopefully by end December.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers Alan

I will try to get on water photos soon but this gives an idea how it looks.

Autumn regatta coming up on Ammersee (Germany) on 19th October, 2013.

Some action from last year …

//youtu.be/IzMaU-qX20g

//youtu.be/e1PX_Zf7ou0

Here’s Steinlager (me) exchanging paint with Tiny Tim’s Monster

//youtu.be/0dexeJNm4Po