Splicing Spectra

In the last AMYA magazine they gave directions for splicing spectra with a Da Ho reverse latch splicing needle. I bought some 130# spectra and the needle and gave it a go. The 130# spectra proved to be very easy to splice and the splice is plenty strong. I ordered some 60# spectra and found it much more of a challenge to splice. I wasn’t able to feed the .037" diameter needle into the line. Instead I had to feed the line onto the needle. Due to the difference in size, it was nearly impossible to guage the length of the splice until the needle was retracted. It works, but it isn’t easy. I guess I could put a mark on the spectra at the area where I would like the splice to end. I do have pictures if anyone is interested.

Here is a pic of the results. On the left is the 130# spectra, and on the right is the 60#.

Good to know. I hate the knots on the rigging.

I have had good luck with some thin wire. Fold it in half and slip through the center of the spectra. lay the loose end into the vee of the fold and pull back through. The best part is not having to “thread the needle”!

I use the thin wire they use to wind little electric motors or wrap around a nail to make a magnet in science class. I use bigger wire to splice spectra halyards on my 14’ dinghy.

You can also use a needlepoint needle.They have a rounded tip so they don’t catch on the inside of the braid. Being a “belt and suspenders” kind of guy, I put a drop of CA where the end of the line exits the braid. Probably overkill.
Don

Don - thank you on behalf of all of us for that “visual” - Good one !

Don, it never dawned on me to use a needlepoint needle. (pun not intended) Do they have larger eyes than a regular needle?

I’m not sure. I just snuck one out of my wife’s sewing bag. It was easy to thread, even with old(ish) eyes and shakey hands.
Don

Fortunately for me, needlepoint is one of my wife’s hobbies. Needlepoint needles come in a variety of thicknesses and lengths and eye size. I like to use a shorter one that is close in length to the buried tail. Using a long one requires a longer tail, but then just cut it off to length and work the outer cover over it until it disappears.

John