Some students do things other than just drink!

Wanted to build somthing in my student room, 50cm max length, fixed keel and simple. Just for the hell build somthing in good old balsa, few hours on maxsurf, make templates out of the print outs, bit of cutting and sticking and here we are. Should hit the water in a week depending on a little 23’ project I also have to work on. Nothing to do with my degree of course!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

oh and I thought that students also had fun with the art section [;)]

Lets be serious…the second boat, you are THE man!

-Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm

Hey hey!

Yeah, I had a month off for winter break and put together a 2ft slab-sided balsa boat. It looks pretty quick, although until I cast my lead (which is pretty difficult to do outside when its 15 degrees (F)) I won’t really know. I wanted something that would fit in my room easily but and would have (hopefully) good performance. School starts tuesday so we’ll just have to see how long it takes for me to get it finished. Anyhoo, nice to hear there are those out there who also enjoy cobbling something together that may not fit into any particular class!

Graham

There is always the footy…it is 12" long and looks like fun. I am almost done with mine, I just need to get the bulb done, but with months til the ice goes away I have time.

Look in the “New Classes” forum to see the footy and build instructions.

vince

That’s where I’m at on my footy. Casting the bulb. I dread that particular task.

Travis

Don’t forget to have fun!!!

Time for update. the boat is fully planked, keelbox in, sealed, servo’s fitted and now I’m starting on the rig. The mast is a basa model aircraft flap section with an obechi strip down the front to give latudinal stability. As its a wing rig it’s stepped on a brass pin in a tube down to the keel, stayed to swept back deck spreaders (the stays in the pics are just to see what it looks like).
I have made the bulb but without any way of melting lead at the moment its a bit huge as I had to use lots of filler to fair it out.

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

Howdy!

Funny thing, I’ve got a standard rig on mine, but I’ve been using the outrigger booms on just about every boat I’ve built recently. Really increases the leverage…

With regard to the lead…got a grill and soup can around? I know it sounds awful, but a normal gas grill can heat up enough to melt lead…I always stay away as much as possible while it’s melting, but it does work.

Graham

People get funny when you do things like that in university halls. The smell of P38 filler was scaring people the other day!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Matthew Lingley

The mast is a basa model aircraft flap section with an obechi strip down the front to give latudinal stability. As its a wing rig it’s stepped on a brass pin in a tube down to the keel, stayed to swept back deck spreaders <hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Looks very nice, Matthew. The wingmast reminds me of the concept developed by Robert Weber for his model land yachts http://www.modellandyachts.com/ .
He uses 2 pieces of balsa aileron stock glued side by side with a half round piece of pine molding glued on the leading edge for shape & strength. The glue does not completely cover the aft portion of the 2 balsa pieces, which leaves a nice luff groove for the sail.
Regards,
Bill

Graham

how have you found the moutning of your deck spreaders as i am looking to do this with my latest boat and would like some thoughts on it what angle do you have them go up at to get enough angle for your support stays.

I look forward to your thoughts

Cheers gappy

Can someone explain what the point of the deck speaders is. I assume it’s to do with the rotating rig, but?
Don

Don Case
 Vancouver Island

I put them on as I dont want a backstay and if the shrouds were on the deck with that much sweep aft you wouldn’t be able to sheet out much. On the fullsize boats with wingmasts they have them so they can have cap shrouds without spreaders on the mast, the shoud base has to be very wide to make up for the lack of spreaders (they do normally have spreaders on the mast too, but for dimonds).

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Matthew Lingley

I put them on as I dont want a backstay and if the shrouds were on the deck with that much sweep aft you wouldn’t be able to sheet out much.
Luff 'em & leave 'em.
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

I’m having trouble visualizing this. Since you have to tie the spreader forward, this, in effect, means that the shroud has two attachment points. Wouldn’t the apparent(as for as loads go) attachment point be in line with the top portion of the shroud. I can see where the spreaders could increase the effective beam but I can’t see them making the mast think it’s anchored further aft. What am I missing?
Don

Don Case
 Vancouver Island

The spreaders are swept aft by about 10cm on my boat to stay the mast far enough back, they only add a couple of cm or so of beam. The stays going from the spreaders forward is more to help stop the spreaders being pulled inwards and upwards, although I probally could get away without them if I was using somthing stiffer than dowl, as the aft ones do most of the work. heres a pic which should show what I mean;

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

Boat had its maiden voyage last week in a gusty dock basin, wind probally bouncing between 3-10 knots. The rudder as I expected proved too small and I had to cut 2.5 cm off the main roach to help it bear away. Its pretty quick upwind but I havent got anyting to benchmark it against (the only other yacht on the water was 23’ long and I was standing on it!). The second sail was in slightly stronger winds, gusting up to 20 knots, the new bigger rudder was good but the wind was a just a bit to stong for it at times. Not got any pics on the water yet, but will get some soon, possibly out in the open Solent!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

picture matt. need pictures. this sounds like a good boat. and a cat too. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm could we be onto something here? so far it looks great. you deserve a beer. no wait. finish the boat first , then the beer lol
cougar

long live the cup and cris dickson

Just curious, Matthew, did you use the wingmast? If so, what did you think? Also, what keeps your deck level spreaders from lifting up?
Regards,
Bill

Bill; I used the wingmast, seems to give good camber in the sail despite the fact the sail is non-paneled. I’ll post some pics of it soon (I only have a webcam, hence the poor quality pics so far), the booms on both the main and jib are Hoylt (sp?) style that efectively let off the outhaul as you sheet out. Gives a really deep camber on a reach, although its no good for going really deep downwind. Would work best on a multi that you never barn door.
The deck spreaders are each held in compression by the shroud, an aft guy and a forward guy. Took a bit of playing with tensions to get them to work perfectly, but the rig hasn’t fallen out yet so it
must be good!

Cougar; Too late, I have a beer in my hand right now! Cat might be delayed for a bit, 1m cats take up too much space in a 8’ by 6’ sudent room that already has 3 windsurf boards and a big rig bag in it!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.