Some New Servo Offerings from GWS

Having purchased the single turn GWS 1T S125 drum servo for a small multihull project I was looking for an additional one for a friend - only to find all US and Canadian dealers were out of stock.

I have a contact at GWS so emailed him to find out what status was for the 1 Turn drum (they also make a 1/2 turn drum) and he advised a shipment is currently on the way to the US Distributor. Previously we had exchanged emails regarding a possibility of a heaver duty drum and he was going to keep me updated.

Just received the following notice:
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]GWS has just released two new winch servos, they are all digital ones, S-125 3T D and S-125 6T D.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]
[/FONT]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][COLOR=Blue]Their speeds are all 2 seconds per 360 deg. at 4.8V, while 1.80 seconds per turn, 360 deg. at 6.0V Their torques are all 7 kg-cm or 97.35 oz-in. at 4.8V, while 8.4 kg-cm or 116.82 oz-in at 6.0V
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]The speed seems a bit slow - somewhere in the range of the drum winch on a Laser, but it is nice to know these are soon to be available for some of the monohull boats in the RG-65 through the 3/600 range (possible bigger) where the higher torque/cost of a Futaba or RMG drum winch isn’t warranted. Perhaps one of these might make a nice alternative drum winch for a jib control in those classes not restricted to only 2 channels.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]Unfortunately - for analog radio users, only the 1.2 and 1 turn modified S125 drums are available.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]My guess is that the drums on the new digital units will probably be 2 inches in diameter as well, the same as the analog servos. This means that (in theory) you can move the following mainsheet lengths if you really need the distance:[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]1 turn - 6.28 inches of line
[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]3 turns - 18.85 inches of line
[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]6 turns - 37.70 inches of line[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]line length = 3.1416 x [ 2 x No. Turns ] < [/COLOR][/FONT]C = π d > n = Pi
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1](all of the above based on assumption of a 2 inch diameter drum)
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

No involvement with the company - just passing on some new information for those who may be interested. I have no promise date for their retail release.

Dick