Socializing

Well, the full sized boat I used to drive just crossed the finish line in the 80th running of the Port Hurn to Mackinac Island race. I always wax nostalgic when I have to watch the finish postings coming over the internet from my desk at work.

Of course the first thing that would happen after getting the boat tied up at the dock is that the whole crew would head on over to the Pink Pony - a local pub where the sailors would get toasted after 2 greuling days of racing. Inevitably there was some bet on board as to what time we would finish and the winner (looser?) would get his drinks bought by the other members of the crew. Or if it was 5AM when we crossed the line, then a trip to the island house for the best damned Bloody Marys in the state of Michigan was in order.

In all the different full size classes I have raced in over the years, the social activities were always nearly as important as the racing. Invariably there were parties (usually with an adequate level of alcohol consumption) at every major regatta. even the local sailing scene involved much hanging out at the YC after a day of sailing telling war stories with a beverage in hand.

So far, in my 3 years of RC sailing, there has been very little by way of social activities. About the only real socail activity so far has been a meal at a local resturaunt/pub at the bigger regattas, but rarely anything associated with the local scene.

So. my question to you guys is how much social life is there associated with your RC sailing? Does the group you belong to have any social activities throughout the year? Do the guys hang out at a local bar after sailing?

Just wondering if it is me or if things are dry all over…

• Will

Will Gorgen

It?s the cost. Much more money goes into full sized yacht racing. Usually sponsors are involved in full sized boats, but are almost impossible to get involved in RC class regattas.
Another problem is location. Most RC regattas are not happening in venues that are able to host such social events. That’s why we end up at some restaurant.

Now, I have been to several regattas that are very social. The Mystic regatta usually had two or three evening events to go to, but that seems to be changing. The EC12 guys really know how to socialize, and they do a great job with after racing events.

I do agree that social events would be great to see more of. I know that when I was involved with the Mystic regatta that I pushed for a social every night, but it was amazing to see that others in the organization were not in the thinking that it was worth the trouble. To me, when someone travels halfway around the world to attend an event, you need to make sure it?s worth every penny of doing so. Nothing worse then traveling to a far away event and eating dinner alone, then finding out that a large group of skippers that happened to get the same hotel were out all night partying!

This is EXACTLY why we need to have an infusion of ex-Hobie sailors for our multihull classes - or heck, any class for that matter. Now THOSE guys know how to party ! [:-drunk] [:-drunk] [:-drunk]

But then, what would one expect from a bunch too old to surf? [}:)]

i dont know about you guys
but i go to a reggata ever year. it is competitive. but on a freindly scale. the reggata is in barrie ontario. and is open to all sailors. and all classes. almost everybody get a prise. but only 3 people win awards. my wifes first ever reggata was there. and she realy enjoyed the people . and the FOOD. the members of the barrie club were so friendly and helpfull. it was a pleasure to be there. now if you ask me if i would rather go to a reggata held my my old club. or thiers. with out a question. the barrie model yacht clubs reggata . is the one i would go to. but dont take my word for it. ask peter richards. he won the event last year.
he can give you all the details
cougar
long live the cup and cris dickson’

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>but dont take my word for it. ask peter richards. he won the event last year.
he can give you all the details
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>
Cougar is correct, the Barrie Model Yacht Club annual regatta is certainly one of the premier model sailing/social events in the North east part of North America.
Good friends, good food, good fun.

The date for this years regatta is August 18. starting at 9AM

see this link for details.
http://www.orilliapronet.com/bmyc/index.htm

In fairness, I did not win the event.
I actually pulled myself out of the running for the prizes last year.
I had 4 first place wins out of the 5 races, but asked the contest director to remove me from the standings and let the other racers have the glory.
I guess that is the difference between the fun racing guys and the hardcore groups.
Everyone knows I won, but not having to win makes the event so much more relaxing.

Peter R.

Visit www.climatemodels.com

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Dick Lemke

This is EXACTLY why we need to have an infusion of ex-Hobie sailors for our multihull classes - or heck, any class for that matter. Now THOSE guys know how to party ! [:-drunk] [:-drunk] [:-drunk]
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>
I always thought it was the International 14 foot skiff sailors that threw the best parties & got the drunkest. Thats why they got banned from one of the lakes for like 10 years.

I see said the blind man to the crippled nudist who put his hands & promtly walked away.

Don’t forget to visit some cool photo’s at http://au.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yachtie2k4/my_photos

Ask anyone who was there the ACDC was truly amazing!!!

Cowes week has the longest bar in the UK with over 200 pumps. Also this year there will be a model boat pond, so does that count!?

Luff 'em & leave 'em.