Shiv....

Well, a few weeks ago I destroyed my carbon simatara… so I started a new build

I made a new carbon simatara, but have highly modified it.

I’m calling it the Shiv.

it a carbon hull, I used blue dye in the epoxy, not quite the effect i was looking for. hull is done and now I am working on the deck. the first 25% will be peaked and wave piercing, while the aft 75% of the deck will be flat. I though about making the entire deck (rounded) except for the cut out for the vang gooseneck, but I don’t think it would look very good…

I will probably do the deck out of glass, since it will be easier to get the curves to contour better…

the light blue is foam that is still being shaped to fit before I lay it up.

Looks great Marc, what is the maximum beam?

4 3/4"

by virtue of pulling the bow together, even with using foam to keep stuff apart, the rest of the hull skinnied up as well. so its a bit narrower than the simatara…

hope to do a float test tomorrow afternoon in a pool
RTS 1150gm
batty is 50gm lipo
keel is 685gm

so 20 grams lighter than my old simatara…

i know pic #2 it looks very very skinny. wide angle lense, but from the mast aft, its pretty much the same beam as a simatara and the hull profile near the water line forward of the mast is also pretty much identical to the simatara. Just the reserve buoyancy above the WL is the main difference…

Interesting to see the efforts by many to copy the “wave piercing” design developed in the multihull world. (“A” Class). Unfortunately, along with the reversed bow, comes a need for the bow to ride higher in the water (shorter waterline) and the underwater body sections to go from thin (piercing) at the bow, to some flatter sections midships to stern. Of course, all of this is predicated on a very lightweight hull that, under speed, will have a tendency to “climb” up on the top of the water/waves. I am not sure how well this will translate to monohulls without the ability to plane, and with a somewhat heavier overall weight than a multi with it’s human ballast (in the big boat world).

Will be fun to watch. - good luck, and post some videos. I’m still not sure how well this hull design will work upwind (pointing) unless there is a way to drop the bow upwind and lift the bow downwind - foils not in consideration.

Cheers, Dick

Dick, aft of the mast, the simatara hull does flatten out. and has a bit of width 4.5" at the transom, and 5" wide 8" forward of the transom. based on my previous simatara, the water line should be a touch below the vertical part of the bow, and just at the transom… so tomorrow we’ll see. if we have wind, I might try the lake…but I have a series sailing dateon sunday, so it will get a trial by fire, mroe or less.

the biggest issue with these smaller boats is the tendency to submarine, bury t he bow, and raise the stern and end up with the rudder out of the water as it plows into the back of a wave or during a puff. the peaked foredecks help shed water and maintain some stability, but the boats still want to hobby horse. my hope is to reduce some of the hobby horsing…

unfortunately no way to create a bow up and bow down with out movable ballast… so basically set the battery and use it to trim the boat… or alter the displacement with different keels until you find the happy medium…

once the boat heals over, hopefully the bow won’t become a liability… we’ll see… if the wind is up tomorrow, I might try a pond visit after work…

well no wind…

with the heavy keel the transom drags in the water a bit… but the bow is clear

well had some wind at the pond…
here are some photos and a youtube vid… I did not bring the light keel but it seems to do quite well. watching the bow slice through the water, it really looks different than a plumb bow or a normal “pointy” bow…

hard to film and take pics while sailing…sorry for the jittery vids

Vid is good, and the boat looks great sir!