"scale models" of bigger classes.

Scale Footys…or models of models! Are they Viable footy class raceboats under the rules as they stand now??

A 1/3.5 model of a Marblehead is approx 120g displ
A 1/3 model of an IOM is approx 148g
A 1/2 model of an RG65 is approx 125g
These “scale” models would all fit into the box and can even have increased draft to have better stability,I have seen some pics of a german balsa Footy kit that looks tiny beside a “standard” footy,its displacement looks to be about 200g or less.
Many are turned off footys because they don’t look like “real” boats,perhaps this solves that?
Also the trend within the class has been to lighter displacement…perhaps this evolution can continue,think about it,a ½ size RG65 should sail at least alright if built accurately …surely.

It is possible to build to these weights buying off the shelf r/c gear and still have ballast ratios of 60% or better,
I know there are possible drawbacks in stronger winds,but I have explored this path a little with favourable results,the time is close that this concept can work.

Comments?

I think it could work. What I found with the RG’s is they are not quite half a M. They are half the length, but the current M designs are too light for where the RG’s are today. My M is 8 lbs with 5.5 lbs in the bulb. Doesnt give me enough for a RG (1 lb by my calculations) unless I can really take the weight out of it. Radio gear becomes a big % of the weight. Could you build a 500g RG with 300g in the keel? I get more like 60g for that design as a footy. I dont think you could get it that light.

Doesnt mean that it isnt worth trying lighter/narrow designs. Personally the thing I dont like about footys is they dont sail like my M or RG. They are more cork like. Doesnt mean they dont sail well, but not like a well balanced M.

John

John -

my JIF65’s that I have been building are all using 500 gr (1 lb.) bulbs and standard size servos. I know I can build lighter, but these were for family so I didn’t press the limits. I too am curious whether a “scale up” from a FOOTY or a “scale down” from IOM/M have any benefits - or if both are the same. Actually, I considered using the JIF65 flat panel hull as a potential for a full M size boat. I just don’t know if spending time building an M that isn’t state-of-the-art is worth the effort, since I can put similar effort into multihulls and at least it would be a completely different design from anything currently recognized or racing.

Claudio has provided me with lines for an IACC style RG-65 and I will probably experiment with it to see how competitive it is. Could also become a one-design class on it’s own as alternative.

Looking at my 2 recent RG builds, I ended up at 1100g for both with 600g in the bulbs. Standard servo’s for the winch and mini for the rudder with 700 mah lipo’s for the battery. Rigs were 70g. Hulls were 90g, winch 40g
I am going to have to get a lot lighter than I built these two boats to get to a 500g boat. Not saying it cant be done, but it is going to be hard work. With a 200g weight budget (500-300g bulb), if I take 20g out of the rig, I have 50g for sails, a 60g hull/deck (30g less than the first two), that leaves 90g or 3 oz for radio, batteries, and fin. Might be achivable, but why not do a 800g bulb with a 1kg all up weight. That would be really fast especially if the wind is up. It will also probably kill the class as most people cant build that light. Would need to be vac bagged prepreg carbon to get the hull/deck that light.
I actually wish there was a minimum hull weight to keep things in check.

John

I second that…RG’s are light enough already! My biggest and only complaint about these little speed demons is that they have NO inertia…so they don’t coast well…Once the wind stops they stop.

I think if we even had a minimum at 1200grams, that wold be ideal…you could carry 800grams in the bulb and still have a light weight boat.

Just my two cents.
B

Like Brett, I’m interested in exploring the lighter side these days. My recent Footys have been 300g, but I’m building one now that’s targeted at 250g.

I am concerned about the light boat’s ability to tack into strong winds and waves, but I’m not sure displacement is the real problem. Any thoughts on overcoming that are more than welcome!

My RG65 Ranger is a scaled-up Footy. It weighs 700g ready to sail with a 450g bulb. I didn’t do anything special to achieve the weight…just used good Footy-building techniques :wink: The boat performed well in light air in Albuquerque.

Bill

p.s. Dick, if you want to build a chine M, I can give you a design that I’m sure would be more competitive than a scaled-up JIF…no guarantees against a Scalpel, though.

Thanks Bill - for the offer. At present, the LAST thing I need is for wife to see yet another boat plan set laying around. Plus I’m running out of room to hide everything. [GRIN]

As for RG vs. FOOTY, I think I will wait and watch for a bit… since locally (U.S.) racing has been mostly in light winds. Seems Europe and South America have seen some heavy stuff - so will wait for an “upscale FOOTY” to particpate in races where winds were at least medium (8-10) or heavy >10. One of the above posts about inertia may also be part of having/using wide skiff type hulls instead of the narrow JIF or even narrower alternate plans/designs. I do see an interest in the 65cm Multihulls and the buy/build of a few of them taking place. Again - it’s an area of design few RC builders have fooled in.

To me - it’s still too early in the game for US boats to see any outstanding design. I think Eric’s “escapades” with his Nationals RG boat might have a bit to do with his “stick time” that others may not yet have put in.

Just an opinion of course.