Salt water+Reciver=Dead?

My 6 channel reciver got a bit of a damping the other day, unfortuately in salt water. Now it seems totally dead, I can get a little twich on the servos but nothing more. Theres nothing obviously wrong with it. I cleaned the little white build up on the pins and apart from washing it in fresh water I cant think of anything else to do with it. I will get another tomrow anyway but any ideas on how to revive the old one are welcomed…
And yes I know, I should have sealed it better!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

I sail in salt water all the time and just one drop will shut things down. You should immediatly wash well with fresh water. Take it apart dry with one of the absorbants WD40 etc. Wait a few days. Might take a week for it to work again. I ordered a new one and then the old one worked again . Washing all the salt off is critical. I have not lost one yet as long as you wash quickly and well. Disconnect and wash all the wiring if possible . They get what is called black wire. Best of luck. I attach the receiver to the inside of the deck and away from openings. Watch for any new green to form.

By the way make sure what ever you use as an absorbant does not melt any plastic thats in there. I had one that did but don’t remember which one. WD40 and CorrosionX seem safe.

hmmm I heard that WD40 is kind of abrasive with plastic??? not sure…but check again…something I did is; put the receiver in a ziplock bag…and then taped it

Good luck

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

Matt

I sail also on a salt water with my boat and have had the same problem but I use a product called CRC contact cleaner which is used for cleaning electrical componenets and I can generally get it working again withing 10 minutes the pins are the hardest thing to clean and I then coat everyting in a product we get down here called Electec which actually repels water and protects the electrics I have also sprayed this inside all of my servos and had no problems. the biggest problem I have found is the corrosion on plugs on the end of the servo lead.

I hope this helps you out

Gappy

I read in the CR914 newsletter once that you can coat the internal workings of your receiver in petroleum jelly, and it’s supposed to help protect it from salt water or fresh water. Obviously if the boat was completely submerged or sunken it wouldn’t help, but for more ‘minor’ leaking problems it’s supposed to help. They had a tech article showing a receiver that had simply been disassembled and then the jelly applied. I thought about doing that for my Vic, since it seems to leak a little bit.

Andy

Air Capitol Model Sailing Club
www.acmsc.org

One trick I use is to fill the un-used channel sockets on the receiver with dielectric grease. It prevents water from attacking the electrical points in the open sockets without shorting them out.

Another point is to velcro the receiver to the underside of the deck - it does not get as wet as the bilge.

Precision Park West:
Higher Technology Racing Solutions
“Beyond Hyperbole”

if you want to fix it. wd 40 should work. i had a reciever get dunked. and lost the upper channels. i washed it in wd 40 . (FOR A VERY SHORT TIME) . and i got my channel back… you might try that. and the if it does come back. seal the reciever with goop? this WILL prevent water for getting to the reciever
cougar

I have had many receivers and servos get dunked. Both sail & powerboats/electrics. I have used CorrosionX successfully every time.

It is really a good idea to flush with fresh water ASAP. Most people think the water in a fresh water pond is “clean.” NO WAY! if you look under a magnifying glass, you’d see a ll the dir, organic stuff and “swimming things” in there that will messa up the circuits. Salt water even worse, of course. You might even carry a quart bottle with fresh/distilled water for dunking just in case. Then spray with CorrosionX… Some people will drill a hole in a servo, fill with CorrosionX & tape the hole. I just periodically spray the receivers. I think you could get CorrosionX at a good marine store. Tower Hobbies has something called “The Stuph” which is the same thing, but different color.

Cheers guys, you will be pleased to know that it pulled through after a good wash in fresh water and a dowsing in WD40!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

congrats
this should save you some money. now you can build a IACC20 boat:-)
cougar

Hmmm, nahh, Sorry Cougar, got to keep up my image!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.