Sailmakers for ODOM

Hello,

BBJ sails seems to be out-of-business, as well as Mr. Stout, so I would like to know if there are any other sailmakers that can make a good suit of ODOM sails with flat panels of the white opaque material. The Trispi stuff is impossible to shape. :mad:

thx

Let’s clear up some terminology. First, there are “single panel” sails, these are made from a single, flat piece of “cloth” with curved edges that help urge shape into the sail under wind pressure. Second, there are “paneled” or “multi-paneled” sails, these are made from individual, flat pieces of cloth, but the pieces are joined to establish camber in the sail so a smooth airfoil shape appears under wind pressure.

I would agree that “single panel” sails made from TriSpi mylar would be less than efficient. Single panel sails do best if the material can deform (such as a woven material like Dacron), and mylars are not able to deform.

So now the question remains, given definitions above, what do you desire for your ODOM?

I’d say that virtually all the ODOM sails we’ve made or seen are in the multi-panel configuration, and thereby are able to provide easily adjustable, stable, and powerful shape when made of the TriSpi or PX 75 mylars.

Rod Carr

I had already chosen the multi-panel (I call them flat panels) sails, not made of Trispi. The main will be attached with loops, and the jib will have a luff wire. I think I’m leaning towards the PX-75, just as long as I don’t get the frustration of the easily-stretched-out Trispi. The problem is we get winds from almost 0MPH (occasionally) to 20+ (rarely.) You end up having to adjust the shape every day, which takes an hour, and you never get it right, so I just leave it as-is and just sail for fun.

I also like the 505 material because it’s opaque, holds its shape well, and easy to see so you won’t lose the boat near a mark.

It would be nice to see a page showing the materials, with some detailed photos and descriptions. Things like sail materials have changed enough that new documentation is needed.

Some interesting observations on TriSpi sails that are worthy of a little more exchange of information.

I would be interested to know how you are observing that the TriSpi (40?) sails you have been using are stretching out when only faced with occasional 20 mph wind speeds. What happens to the sail that you call “stretching out”. The TriSpi 40 material is well able to handle those wind speeds. The TriSpi 25 would not fare quite so well. Is it possible that you are seeing creep of the broad seams in the sails? I find that no more than 4 oz of tension on the mainsail luff will allow the sails to assume their designed shape. Additional tension just causes distortion. Adjustment for differing wind speeds take at most 30 sec, and that is adjusting the downhaul for luff tension, the vang for twist, and the sheet for close hauled position. What is requiring that you spend an hour re setting the sail? Of course, removing all tensions from the rig when in storage is standard operating procedure. Leaving the luff on a mainsail tight in a hot car, or next to the furnace guarantees degradation of the constructed shape.

I have sails that are made from TriSpi 40, that are coming up on 15 years old, have powered my EC-12 for that long and still show the design camber within plus or minus 1% when measured. There is absolutely no reason that properly constructed and carefully handled ODOM sails should not last at least long.

I am the second owner of the boat.

The sails are not exactly new, so they have (I think 5 or more) years of wear and stretching. I mark the lines with a black Sharpie so I can put it back where it was. I think it is the lighter 25 material and to make them flat or smooth, you have to use a lot of tension on all the lines and the vang, or it looks like a parachute. It takes a lot of time to get all the wrinkles out and to get the right shape for the conditions. these sails have a narrow range of shape or adjustment so the boat will go on all points, or it will be a complete slug or uncontrollable.

Even local sailors tell me they are done.

I’d agree that you’re likely ready for new sails.