Sail seams? 45 to leach or Luff

Are the sail seams at right angles to leach or Luff? or does it really matter. I am using 3mill double frosted mylar?

Andrew

Depends on the sail design, but generally they are made purpendicular to the leach.

They “look” better perpendicular to leech, but if using Mylar, there is no weft/warp and thus the material won’t stretch like normal cloth. Seam them (in Mylar) to meet your personal appeal.

Dick I always thougt that you would want the seams to be in the same direction as the air flow so it would not disturb it to much?

Andrew

Hi guys,

This is one example where you may both be right. The answer is “it depends”.

It depends upon the type of sailcloth.

If you are using a woven fabric, such as ripstop, that has a warp and weft, then the warp (the length of the cloth roll) should be aligned with the leach of the sail and the cloth should be cut square across the weft. So the seams will be at right angles to the leach. This places the strongest threads in alignment with the greatest loads on the sail.

However, if you are making the sail out of a laminate, such as drafting mylar, then there is no thread to align. So you can set up the panels with the seams at right angles to the luff and the seams will align with the flow.

Thanks John,

Just got back from 4 day holiday close where you are now, Phoenix. Very nice and warm, I can see why people winter there. I tried getting to a 36:600 race in Mesa but I was on the Metro and there was this big football game going on so all the boaters left early. So I watched the groups of people running the Marathon and 1/2 marathon, then went pool side to drink beer.

Can I fold over the leading edge and use double sided tape to create the luff pocket? Instead of using sticky sail cloth.

Thanks for the help with the sail questions.

Andrew

Can I fold over the leading edge of the foresail and use double sided tape to create the luff pocket? Instead of using sticky sail cloth.
I am using .004" mylar for the sail cloth.

Andrew

Yes. Just check the class rules in case there is a max width limit on the seam. (I don’t remember)