Sail Numbers

I wanted to get ideas on the use of moncote cut numbers. I know allot use markers to make numbers; so far I have not been happy with the results, and have gone back to moncote cut numbers. Do you think there would be a performance loss on US One Meters with moncote or the laser cut sails numbers from Climate models?

Thanks

Monocote shrinks when it hets heated, right? That means if you left your sails in the sun, the numbers would shrink and wrinkle the sails.

How you make your number depends on the sail material; mylar/plastic is better with vinyl numbers, and marker on dacron or fabric types, unless you sew them on.

HTH

Numbers can also be cut from spinnaker repair tape. At least, that’s what I think the rip-stop fabric tape with the sticky backing is. At 2 inches wide, it isn’t quite wide enough for all the numbers, but so close I think no one will object. It won’t shrink with heat, I think, but it can still be difficult to place without wrinkling. Sheets of the stuff are also available, for anyone picky about the width.

Mike Biggs

By all means purchase numbers, but only one set, and use them as a pattern for tracing through the mylar sail material. Set up the numbers on a sheet of card at the proper pitch, place numbered card below the sail in the proper position, remembering which side has the higher number, trace through to the sail with a fine permanent marker, then fill in carefully with a normal 1/8"-1/4" one, The numbers come out very sharp if done carefully, and there is no risk of distortion. To make it easier, I managed to get a personal number, 41, which can be traced through using a straight edge. No curves. No problem. Very sharp!
Tomo, I have found that due to the different expansion rates between vinyl and mylar, then distortion is likely if these mixed materials are used in hot sunlight. Marker tends to smudge on Dacron and is impossible to remove, where as marker can be removed from Mylar with a bit of elbow grease and methylated spirit.

cheers

Ralph

Thanks for your input.