Sail Boxes and Spreaders

If I decide to use spreaders how do I stow the rig in my sail box? With the spreaders at 90 degrees to the mast crane the whole thing would not lay flat. What do I make pivot, the crane or the speaders?

Thanks
Don
Vancouver Island

Don,

You don’t want to rotate the spreaders, but you could probably remove them. If you buy the SailsEtc spreader kit from Great Basin, the spreaders simply slide onto a pin that passes through the mast. This is quite easy to remove. You can leave the sidestays attached to the spreaders and simply remove them from the mast.

If you use a standard backstay crane from Great Basin, this simply inserts into the mast and is free to rotate, so that would not be a problem to either spin off to the side or even to remove. With your carbon fitting (other thread) you may want to fix that a bit more solidly…

So I would vote for removing the spreaders.

• Will

Will Gorgen

As long as it won’t cause a problem to go with rotating crane I think I’ll go with that. It gives me the willies to think about drilling a hole in the CF Mast(probably unfounded willies but—)

Thanks
Don
Vancouver Island

Hey Don -

The crane for my MultiONE is simply a brass wire bent as required to support the fat-head main. It is a slip-fit into a piece of dowel that was WEST coated and then inserted into the top of the tapered carbon mast. The wire is able to swing to allow sail twist, and I can remove/exchange for what ever size sail (headboard) is being used. I do NOT run a back-stay on the multi however. If too much twist, I have also cross-drilled and inserted a cross wire to handle and (manually)limit rotation of the crane/top of sail.