Rules, lawyers and legalisms.

As usual there are very proper noises going round the forum that if the Footy class get bogged down in rule dispuyes, it will fail.

This is true with bells on. However, the answer is not to be nice about it and hope that the problem will go away.

The Footy rule is extremely open. This is one of its attractions to many of you: we have cats, dogs, scows, Dingos, blue-sky proas and who knows what else. All of these are giving people fun.

However (pace Neil) there has to be something apart from a footprint on the sail that makes a Footy a Footy. This is the function of the rules. We have the rules we have: they are not unsatisfactory. However, they are skighly rough round the edges: all new rules are.

The reason is obvioius. The rule was designed by three experienced people - one of them of world stature. Against their knowledge and experience, there are pitted the massed forces of world Footydom - the ingenious, twisted (EXPETEIVES DELETED} gits that we are. Against this horde it is scarcely surprising that they did not think of every wrinkle.

I think that it is important that people prod and probe the rule now - in good part. The Technical Committee will attempt to interptret queries within the spirit of the rule. If poople do this, we will, for example KNOW (rather than argue about) the exact implications of the (I think) rather vaguely rules on rudders. If the class does not likethe result, the rules (and the technical conmmittee) can be changed.

I see this as a completely different process from the legalistic wranglings that tend to surround boats such as IOMs. An IOM gives relatively little scope for imagination, which in itself encourages scrabbling for tiny advantages. With the Footy, there is huge scope for innovation and nobody remotely kows the ansers. What we are trying to do (or should be) is to sand the rough edges off the existing rules so that they fit - like a favourite comfortable jacket - before the stakes get high.

Does anyone agree with me or am I completely off the frame?

makes sense to me. i agree!

Angus

Not sure if this is caused because I raised the rudder length issue. Didn’t want to start a war of words, just get some ideas before I built the “Little Sausage” Might even call my fuzzy design “Swordfish”

I’ve done a diagram based on the Box rule to explain what I am looking at and I’ll submit it for a rule interpretation in the next few days. Send me your email & I’ll send you a copy, it’s too big to download on forum.

Have to agree with an over focus on the Rules but as you know If you want to Race Yachts and to gain affiliation you have to have class rules. Otherwise it’s a free for all and only those with the big bucks can win…

Wouldn’t want to drive Hundreds of Miles to find your boat doesn’t comply because of some local rule that is ambiguous and open to selective interpretation.

Rules are in place for the “enjoyment” of everybody.

Know about the IOM’s been there done that. 1.5 grams over on the Keel and disqualified from sailing. Scales weren’t verified and shown to be out the following week. was 2 grams under.

$5000 wasted trip. No Refund… Hmmm… Not Happy Jan…

Lovely trip to the UK though.

Thanks John. You were just the trigger.

What you’re doing is not daft (ot may be in terms of producing a fast boat - that’s an entirely different matter:devil3: ).

There are quite a lot of people around here (for whom I have a lot of sympathy in principle) who run for shelter when you say ‘rule’. I think they’re wrong. At this stage in the game it’s inevitable that there are uncertainties and is better we sort the bugs out now as gentlemen before the stakes get bigger (and they are already - I’ve bought the tickets to go racing Footys in the US this summer).

Do by all means ask for a rule interpretation. Send it to Brett McCormack in NZ as in the ‘Technical’ tab on the Official Web Site. If it really is big, it might help if you copied it to Bill Hagerup and me.

Cheers!

Angus

Good news is I’ve sent off a rather detailed Interpretation Request with regards to the Rudder Length issue. sorry your email was private so could send you a copy.

Hopefully a detailed explanation will be more enlightening. I’m happy to elaborate on anything that isn’t clear by way of a simple drawing.

Not a legal Minded Person but do understand that rules must be addressed to avoid anarchy and an eventual demise. Address these in developing mode and the future is always brighter. That’s what developing is supposed to be. R&D also includes the rules.

In some way I have perhaps found an unintended Loophole and one which was not considered. But then again the US did that with their big Cat against NZ.

Hope you guys can make sense of my ramblings as it clearly needs some rule feedback, regarless of whether it is considered a benefit to a Go Fast Boat or not. If it’s of no benefit to the boat then why would anybody worry about whether it was put on a boat or not?

Don’t have any misgivings about the rules as all I want to make sure of is that I have the right interpretation before I commence doing some more R&D as they say. Can’t say much but know of a large tank with lots of Gizmos attached somewhere close.

I’ll double post under the Rudder Length Thread in the hope of stopping some of the backdoor angst.

John :zbeer:

John, I think your rudder discussion has been well-considered and intelligent. No problem at all. We’ll collaborate and publish an opinion.

Angus, I think you expressed the spirit of Footy rulesdom rather nicely.

Bill H

Just an outsiders view …

1. if you are talking “FOOTY” - I fail to see where “Big Bucks” ($$$$) will achieve much in the span of 12 inches of length. Certainly, like the ODOM, one can scrape of excess weight - but in the forms of grams and half-grams… certainly not kilos. How many out there are so egotistical they would invest $1,000 in order to win a class “pickle dish”? Few would be my guess.

2. What exactly is the class trying to be? - if pure development, you have too many rules. If one-design, you don’t have enough - or those you have are inadequate. If you are trying to have something for eveyone, then perhaps better to step back and dump the idea for you will not please all.

3. You cannot promote development by having a lot of restrictive rules. Once you get restrictive as with a one-design, then you only encouarge the “tinkerer’s” to begin playing and pushing the envelope, only to find the class is a mini-development class, and you spend more time trying to build a better mousetrap, then learning to tune and sail what you have.

4. The more you try to control what people build and how they think, the further you get from actual racing. Personally, if an idea merits itself by producing a faster boat, I can consider and/or reject it - just please don’t try to legislate what I am thinking or trying to develop.

5. Make rules only that pertain to performance. If you aren’t sure - try it before you ban it. If it’s not performance related, it isn’t worth the time to put it on paper and try to defend it.

6. Provide a window of opportunity to allow the developers to demonstrate thier ideas on the water - and let the idea and performance dictate the rule changes. If you really waant to “race” - then why restrict anything to allow one to sail faster? Maybe go the other way and award points to the slowest boat - as that is really what you are encouraging when you add yet another rule.

:mad:

1. if you are talking “FOOTY” - I fail to see where “Big Bucks” ($$$$) will achieve much in the span of 12 inches of length. Certainly, like the ODOM, one can scrape of excess weight - but in the forms of grams and half-grams… certainly not kilos.

Yes, but we were only talking grams anyway - and as we all know very small gains can be very expensive.

How many out there are so egotistical they would invest $1,000 in order to win a class “pickle dish”? Few would be my guess.

There’s nowt so queer as folk - and where there is one idiot, there are probably two. Did I hear anyone say SUV?

) What exactly is the class trying to be? - if pure development, you have too many rules. If one-design, you don’t have enough - or those you have are inadequate. If you are trying to have something for eveyone, then perhaps better to step back and dump the idea for you will not please all.

This is the vital question. From my personal point of view, multihulls - which is where the real room for radical configurations lies - leave me totally and utterly cold. This is probably the result of hardening cerebral arteries, a life of dealing with offshore racing mohulls and an intense dislike of the sponsored ‘big event’ sailing that has largely destroyed the Corinthian sport with which I grew up and so on. This is my personal hang-up but (apart from a considerable sense of technical curiosity) I would not wish, say, the Blue Skys project to succeed.

My vision for what it is worth is that the Footy should be a class in which tinkering developers who are moderately set in their ways can enjoy themselves. The restrictions in the rule leave very wide options available in rig, hull form, etc. within an envelope in which I feel compfortable and at home. Whether this is compatible with youth involvement, for example, I do not know.

1. You cannot promote development by having a lot of restrictive rules. Once you get restrictive as with a one-design, then you only encouarge the “tinkerer’s” to begin playing and pushing the envelope, only to find the class is a mini-development class, and you spend more time trying to build a better mousetrap, then learning to tune and sail what you have.

If what you want is a no-holds development class, that is obvious - but such a class is not the only valid approach. In terms of ‘marketability’ might I jusdt point out that the number of more or less open multihulls around is very small. They are an acquired taste, although abely supported by knowledgeable and decicated enthusiasts such as Dick. :zbeer:

1. The more you try to control what people build and how they think, the further you get from actual racing. Personally, if an idea merits itself by producing a faster boat, I can consider and/or reject it - just please don’t try to legislate what I am thinking or trying to develop.

Within the box (metaphorically speaking) it is necessary to have some similarities of competing boats. All rules type produce - some more narrowly than others - and this is necessary if people are to get away from the drawing board and enjoy the actual sailing.

Remember the NZ K boat and Dennis’s Mighty Cat? The biggest disaster the America’sCup ver experience, including Lord Dunraven.

1. Make rules only that pertain to performance. If you aren’t sure - try it before you ban it. If it’s not performance related, it isn’t worth the time to put it on paper and try to defend it.

Sure. But see below.

1. Provide a window of opportunity to allow the developers to demonstrate thier ideas on the water - and let the idea and performance dictate the rule changes. If you really waant to “race” - then why restrict anything to allow one to sail faster? Maybe go the other way and award points to the slowest boat - as that is really what you are encouraging when you add yet another rule.

This is a very thorny one and close to my heart. Let us look at a number of positions.

a) John builds a boat that is radically faster than any other. This is demonstrated on the race course. In one single stroke, it renders the whole fleet obsolete. What do we do? Ban it? If so, we are being very unfair to John, who produced a good idea in good faith? Ban the idea and grandfather the boat? John’s boat is now bound to win any race it enters. No other Footy can ever come better than second.
b) Worse John has made a set of moulds and set up a production line. He has sold 20 boats. Is this a good time to buy stock in John Inc.?
c) John asks in advance for a rule interpretation. His idea seems innocuous
enough (even of no performance benefit)and the Technical Committee rules that it is legal. They fail to notice that, either in the form presented or in some form that they have inadvertantly let out of Pandora’s Box, it has tremendous performance implications. Now go back to (a) - except that John is now saying ‘You told me it was OK.’

Having seen the IOR destroyed by rule managers who saw it as their duty to maintain the value of the exiting fleet, I am very much against putting too much of a brake on innovation. Later IOR boats were seriously nasty, and the entire fleet and its value ae now a thing of the increasdingly distant past. However, the pressure on the rule makers came from owners - the people who go sailing. So far Footy owners are having fun innovationg within moderate limits. What happens next week is anybody’s guess - but unless the class listens to the owners as a group, it will fail totally, utterly and inevitably.

Yes, I know that there are about three different logical viewpoints in there. If I knew how to econcile them, I would be a genius. As it is I am simply a greying yachting appartchik!

In terms of ‘marketability’ might I just point out that the number of more or less open multihulls around is very small.
And most would rather spend their $$$ on a monohull. Seems odd that when trying to go as fast as possible, one would intentionally limit their top speeds?

an intense dislike of the sponsored ‘big event’ sailing that has largely destroyed the Corinthian sport with which I grew up
This fact is pretty well documented that as costs go up to “shave off those few grams” - only the wealthy can participate - so in order to increase participation and probably viability to increase spectator interest, the “sponsorship” idea came to be. I was fortunate to carry a double sponsorship when racing my big cat. Without them it is doubtful I would have attended any large North American Championship regattas spread out around the U.S. Their funding meant less $$$ from the family’s budget to allow me to go sailing. Was it a good or bad thing? Will let each of you decide.

Remember the NZ K boat and Dennis’s Mighty Cat? The biggest disaster the America’s Cup ver experience
I and quite a few other multihull enthusiasts would disagree, for suddenly the world experienced what “true speed” is about, when technology and no lead keels provided an ungoverned speed vehicle for water. The theory of hull speed being a function of waterline length was also put to rest by that sailing comparison since 125 feet didn’t seem to equal the speed of the 60 foot long cat. Interesting to note that this one very public display of cat speed versus monohull speed probably sealed the fate of the cat (or tri) faster than any other argument, and encourages regattas to outright ban multihulls, since the outcome is a foregone conclusion. It is only a matter of “which” multihull will be first.

Your last triple comparison left me with one thought - and that relates to your first alternative which is “Ban the guy going faster” !

Whether Olympic runner, swimmer, skater or skier … if they are identifiably faster - then they should be banned from competition - after all they will always win the race - right? As NASCAR did as well as other forms of auto racing, the use of restrictor plates, engine management tools, and the physical design of a modern race car are all subject to legislation. Why - perhaps because I and a few others have come to the agreement to NOT participate in technology warfare. That being the case, then perhaps all forms of development need to be ended - as there will always be rules to limit what can/can’t be done, and not all of us would agree.

I have asked the question before - why do you want to race if you are artifically limited in the speed you can go? The word “RACE” conjurs up going as fast as possible. I’m suggesting that everytime we try to legislate something there are others who want to go just one step further.

I fail to see why the FOOTY rule isn’t simply length, beam and depth of keel. It originated as a design effort within a 12 inch long hull but more and more rules were added to limit what folks could do. To start messing with limiting batteries was the beginning of the end (to me) since the person who wanted to use an auto battery couldn’t. Not because it might not be practical or senseless - but because “someone” thoughtit was in the best interests to simply “say so”. Why worry about how many rudders are on the boat - will 7 rudders really increase the speed of the boat? Why not mandate amount of hull rocker - or freeboard height? Why not specify sail area limits as so many classes do? How about overall sailing weight - as minimum and maximum … since it too, is a common rule? As I said - in my opinion that idea of a fun class that would be developmental in nature to see who could design a fast boat within the parameters of 12 inches of hull length seems to have gone by the wayside.

Seems a shame to me, just looking in - with all due respect of course.

Angus

Have to agree with everything you said. Even when you may have contradicted yourself.?? Many ways of looking at it and always open to different views.

Hope by using “John” as a metaphor you didn’t mean me. If Only…:slight_smile: Having problems getting the Ideas into a finished model. Too Many other projects (14 Scale Boats in part construction) and love to tinker away. Prefer improving on current designs rather than start from scratch. Always pass credit and any ideas back to the original designer for more R&D.

The heads always full of funny, innocuous and sometimes fuzzy little ideas that I’ve picked up from other hobbies. Find this very stimulating. Working on a small Bilge pump that can drain away water during a race & activated by the water itself. Mini train water pump. Good when testing a boat for the first time. Even my Sinking Titanic when its finish should be a sight.

I digress

My philosophy in model boats has and always will be sharing the info and help if you can. I never seek copyright or ownership on anything I do.

It’s quite flattering when you see that your ideas are being used and improved by others. Boy does the head swell for a few minutes then back to the drawing board to improve it yet again. Whisky is good for fuzzy logic…

No advantages gained if all of the Fleet has access to the Info and can openly use the ideas. Its how they are applied that counts.

Any newer development outside the box (no pun intended) should first meet the approval of the Technical Committee and then be broadcast to the Fleet for their evaluation and use. No secret Squirrel Club here. All out to help develop the class and each other.

No need for $1000’s to buy in… Why does an IOM cost upwards of $3000 RTR when the raw materials are a few hundred dollars. Simple R& D and Intellectual Property returning profits to the Designer…

From a commercial point of view a good thing :zbeer:

From a hobby point of view a little defeatist :scared:

“Over Developing” in my opinion is not good in the infancy of a developing class when the rules are simply written to encourage involvement. Not to look for loopholes and ways around getting an advantage…

I must apologise as another one or two of my fuzzy Ideas got loose when the Medication hadn’t kicked in. :lol:

Cheers

John

Have to agree with some of what Dick is saying as well.

To stop any limits on how many rudders a Boat can carry, I propose that we should include within the rule Rudder or Rudders.

I think it would be great to see 7 rudders out the back… What a Rooster Tail that would produce, even to windward.

Watching those Tornados off Fremantle recently was some sight. Soooo Fasssst…

Dick - to you the Great God is sheer speed. Given that your position is logical. I am not sure how to define my Great God, but it derives somewhere from the objects of the Royal Ocean Racing Club(1925), one of which is to ‘encourage the development of yachts in which speed and seaworthiness are harmoniously combined’. Taken literally this makes little sense in the context of a model yacht -but somewhere there is the notion of a ‘proper boat’.

I would be very hard put to define just what that boat was, an I certainly would not maintain that it is one just like the one I saw yesterday (any yesterday). Howeever, the notion is lurking there and I think it is one that many people share. Why, after all, do we not jet propel skaters?

Angus - the skater example was quite far-fetched, my friend. :sly:

We tend to include a similar example when we disqualify sailboats during a race for running their motors - with the NEW exception of course, to allow stored energy to move a canting keel. HUH? :confused:

I think we can all find examples truly “off-the-wall” - but in retrospect, without a need to go faster, why bother with inventions? Without bothering with inventions, we won’t go faster ---- thus a self-limiting rule.

Why develop a canting keel - when a fixed keel is fast enough? Why go to carbon fiber for weight savings, when we already know a wood or plastic boat can sail around the course? Panel type sails, foils shapes of keels-bulbs-rudders, new hull shapes (skinnier or fatter), micro weight servos and LiPo batteries, all to save weight. Film for deck coverings. Lightweight carbon fittings. Multiple radio channels to help make different and minute adjustments to increase speed. Transoms that are in the water or out of the water. micro-ball bearing connectors for jib swivels, vang/gooseneck attachments. Micro blocks to allow sheets to move more easily. Friction reduction, drag reduction, better air flow attachment to sials. Better water flow reduction to keel and rudders. Lightweight SPECTRA/DYNEEMA line replacing heavier dacron lines or stainless shrouds. Multifunction radios, and electronic instruments to judge wind speed. Carbon rigs instead of wood (booms too). Why spend lots of money to buy a different design or hull - or pay naval architects to design a better “mouse-trap”?

Why do we all use these (or many of these) ideas - certainly they cost money, so saving money can’t be the reason. Say - do you suppose so we can sail our Formula Whatever boat a bit faster if we use them? Naw - that can’t be the reason! Why would a class allow one development idea for performance improvement to take place - but then make two other ideas illegal?

I’m sure you have kept up on the “diet issue” for the ODOM on WindPower site where owners are trying to meet the minimum weight by reducing a few grams/ounces of weight. That effort costs money - so if the argument is to save money (or prevent an “arms race”) that will cause others in the class to have to spend more to stay competitive to “WIN” a race - simply change the rules and add an additional pound of lead to all-up sailing weight - so the few ounces/grams aren’t a worriesome issue!

Indirectly, all classes are developmental for some part - I’m suggesting removing the artificial barriers (ideas) that restrain speed and only use the bare minimum to identify boat size. Eventually, the designs and wild ideas will either work - or they will be cast aside.

An esteemed UK designer of r/c yachts once emailed me when we were developing our multihull class rules. His correspondence included a suggestion that he could easily take two Marblehad hulls, join them together and compete in the class. My response was simply - You Bet ! But remove two inches in overall length first and come out and play. If others see your two hulls beating up on my three - the class will quickly recognize that - and probably move that way. Why would I take time to write rules to disallow that idea? (Nothing ever came from his email, however. I am disappointed)

Anyway - I just am trying to show that there will always be those who wnat to try something to go faster - so am suggesting we realize that fact and remove the barries that restrin them from even trying. As some have said for the FOOTY class - the cost isn’t prohibitive - so what other reason is there for the rules to be prohibitive?

On skates, take a leaf out of Blazing Saddles’ biik: feed the brute on beans. Conversion of dietary energy to propulsive force.

On the more serious bits, I think that it is the urge to beat my enemy or my pretend enemy who is really my friend. So long as it is pretend enemy, we can set rules that keep us both happy - but we will then try to push them just that tiny bit further - no matter what those rules are.

To me a downwind sleighride is exciting - and not just in a boat that is objectively fast: some steam rollers can be subjectively quicker because of the amount of fuss they make. However, the thing that really gives me the ultimate buzz is a fluky force 2-3 against the tide on a rocky coast in a reasonably large fleet. This has nothing to do with absolute speed and everything to do with tiny increments of relative speed.with seeing and reading the shifts and the tidal swirls, making sure that you cannot be forced out of the inshore eddy, realising that there will be a thermal if you get close enough in to that cliff. It is a hunter’s game, not a game of mere speed - but you have to keep the boat going at its best all the time.

By the same token, I enjoy sharpening my arrows to perfection, making them fire that little bit further. Because it is my pretend enemy I am out to beat, I limit my development to what is acceptable to him. If I turn up with a nuclear weapon, he will go and play with someone else - or ask me to do so. This is perfectly right and proper.

I hope the allegory has not gone too far.

Here we refer to it as [i]“Taking a gun to a knife fight!” :wink:

[/i]Regards

edit:
Related thought: Perhaps what NZ tried to do with the “monster” boat, perhaps?