Rule Clarification - Serious!

Is a boom or similar allowed to project aft of the measurement box?

If this is the intention, I must say it does seem to me to be a bad example of a ‘type-forming’ rule that forces design into a particular direction by accident. A cat boat, for example, becomes almost impossible.

A.

And - incidentally - if it is illegal, so is Bobabout at the other end!

A.

Well, Rule B2 says:
[LEFT]The following may project above the top of the measurement box: sail(s), mast, spars, rigging, aerial, associated fittings. That should mean that it is not associated to the box and not restricted by the box. Besides, bowsprits and bumpkins are allowed outside the box.
It sure would make my Kitty illegal if it isn’t[/LEFT]

I know Bob. I think your Kitty is illegal - which seems silly.

Unfortunately the rule does say ABOVE about the RIG. For Bowsprits, bumpkins etc, it specifies that they may project forward or aft. If they had just said ‘beyond’ all would have been well.

On the other hand, if your interpretation is that of the powers that be, that is more than fine by me!

A.

Yes booms can project aft or fwd of the mearsurment box
unless of course for some reason you want or need to sink your hull deep into the box or on an angle etc and the booms cannot clear the box.
In short the hull and keel and what ever else you want must fit in the box.
Your rig/sails and spars may be outside the box.
Bibs Kitty and my Bobabout are legal.

Please read, the Footy rules summary.
http://footy.rcsailing.net/images/rules-summary.pdf
This PDF explains the main points of the rules in clear and easy to understand non technical language.

‘For defined detail see Footy Class rules’. :confused:

Seriously, I have every sympathy and was not trying to be awkward. I have quite enough experience of drafting yachting ‘rules’ - sailing insttructions, safety regulations and so on - to appreciate just how difficult to get right, and just how ruthless (or stupid) some smartarses can be.

The classic one was no less a body than the Royal Cork Yacht Club, who ran a race from Kinsale round the Fastnet and back to Cork - or that was what they thought. No less a man than Harold Cudmore came out of Kinsale harbour and turned left, thereby LEAVING the Fastnet to starboard (as specified by the sailing directions) and went straight home to the pub in Cork (say 15 miles0. All us dumb clucks turned right and ROUNDED the Fastnet to starboard, then went to Cork - about 105 miles.

Anyway, I take it that you are the supreme arbiter of the rule and that tihis is an authoritative interpretation. Thanks.

A.

PS Watch it about ‘sinking things into the box’. You are trying to tell me that a shallow draft boat cannot take advantage of the V in the box for a transom hung rudder, cannot have a projecting boom, but can have a taller No. 2 rig.

Hi Angus,
Don’t worry I think I am very well aware of almost all possible ways to fit a boat in the box and the relationship of all the parts to each other.
This rule didn’t get cobbled together one night at the pub.

You will see that the Footy rule makes use of the “Equipment rules of sailing” to help with definitions,This seems to get overlooked by many who read the rules.
http://www.amya.org/ersnote.html
Is a note by larry robinson on the ERS in regard to models.
And most importantly
http://www.sailing.org/default.asp?MenuID=t/90GX28zoMoD~`RtK/DVoWDFIQDUDhxMSK?nTEq,EXcZlNxKspY3PQRy

is where you will find the ERS…enjoy!!!

I’ve already got the ruke - and read the definitions.

Didn’t know about the note though. Thanks.

A.

I could be interpreting what you said there wrong Angus but it sounds like that is suggesting that the bulb needs to be at the bottom of the box… which it doesn’t. A shallow draft boat can be held just below the top edge of the box so that the transom rudder and arm fit in the ‘V’. Bobkin and bowsprit fitting through the slots fore and aft.

If you were to put a shallow draft boat at the bottom of the box then yes you could not have a transom mounted rudder (unless the hull were appropriately shorter) nor could you use the slots or ‘V’ (sensibly) but you could have a taller ‘B’ rig… which would seem pointless IMHO.

Graham

Aplogies. Misread Brett’s reply.

A.