RT65 Race Tri - successful maiden voyage

I got the plans for the rt65r a few weeks ago. I expect to finish it next weekend. The boat is done but i need to mount the radio and make sails. I used balsa/glass and the weight should be around 750g, I’m using a swing rig and the sail posted recently for this boat. Looks like fun and I can’t wait to set it the lake.

Glen

Dear Glen,
you’re the first to complete a build on my plans, your RT looks great - I wish you luck for the maiden.
Don’t forget to register your boat with the 65M database http://www.rcsails.com/65m/boats after the maiden voyage to get your sail number.

May the winds be with you

Phanchita

:zbeer:

Hi Glen -

well done !

With you being in California (home to the original Hobie beach catamarans) I hope you can do some traveling to local events and do some demo sailing to show the boys that a multihull is a viable ( and fast) option as an r/c boat.

There is a need to show it off to convince others to build and sail/race these. Thanks to Siri who has provided the plans. I hope your build will begin a local class of these out your way. Best wishes on your inaugural sail.

Dick

Gee, no pressure! I’m a rank beginning sailor who wasted his youth on RC planes. I’ve swung on the trapeeze of a Hobie cat off Santa Monica and flown a Hobie Hawk on the cliffs inshore, but that’s it for “sail” experience.
I haven’t even found a local body of water to serve for the first trial. I did get to the yardage store today and have just finished a nice blue nylon mainsail. The jib will occupy the rest of the 49er game on tv.

I suppose the first order of business after finding some water is learning to sail.
I made the centerboard permanent, the sponsons aluminum tubes slip onto stub rods from the hull for disassembly. The hatch will be sealed with blue vinyl tape strips. A short nylon tube will stick up at an angle from the transom to miss the spar and carry the antenna.
Glen