[COLOR=Black]This was received from the creators of the Virtual Volvo Race today.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black]Read and digest… you now know as much as me.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black]If this interests you at all then watch this space for more as it comes to hand.
Dear Virtual Skipper,
As previously announced, we are putting the final touch on our Routing Challenge –- which is scheduled to start on Thursday, May 28th.
This competition will take the participants along the course of the mythical New York City to San Francisco record race, and around Cape Horn!
What is the Routing Challenge?
We have taken the concept of virtual navigation to yet another level: in this race, your boat will automatically follow a course determined by waypoints that you have plotted in advance, all the way from the start to the finish lines.
The challenge will be for you to define the best possible route – the fastest route –- for your sailboat, based on its theoretical performance package and the expected wind conditions.
This is a great opportunity for you to brush up on your strategy and practice weather options in preparation for future races.
What kind of tools will be at your disposal?
First of all, no options. All skippers will be on equal footing!
• Waypoints: beacons that can be placed anywhere along the course of the chosen route. Every skipper will only have a limited number of waypoints – the same number for all participants.
• Weather: the wind factors will be predetermined, fully visible and will remain unchanged for the duration of the race, on its entire course.
• Automatic Pro Sails: the whole assortment of Pro Sails will be available to all skippers. In addition, the game engine will automatically manage sail changes, based on the wind direction and strength. Hence, the boat will always use the best available sail based on the particular conditions at that time.
Given the nature of this game, options are irrelevant and therefore not available. The game is free for all to enjoy.
The Routing Challenge Schedule
• Phase 1 – Waypoint setting period: from Thursday, May 28 at 10:00am (GMT+ 1) until Monday, June 1 at midnight (GMT+ 1). You will have 4 full days to evaluate the weather and plot your course with your waypoints. They can be changed and moved at any time, as many times as necessary, before midnight on June 1.
• Phase 2 – Computing of all routes. The game will be neutralized on Tuesday, June 2 at 00:01am (GMT+ 1). At that time, the game engine will start and race all the boats from start to finish according to their preset, defined routes, and will compute the rankings.
• Phase 3 – The results will be published starting on Tuesday, June 2 at 3:00pm (GMT+ 1). You will be able to see your course on the map, and the ranking of all other participants.
Registration time will be announced very shortly.
In the meantime, let’s discuss this exciting race on the Forums!!!
The Virtual Regatta Team