rogue wave

whoa nellie! check out this slide show

http://www.sfsurvey.com/photos/sailH/imagepages/image1.htm

ed

‘Oh S**t!’

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

holy geeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz

just wondering…did it happen in San Francisco? when?

-Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm

Thats alcatraz on the background, I would assume by the acts of the surfers that all the crew from the boat got safe? Freaky ****

• HJ

“Expertice is gained trough mistakes. However repeating
same mistake is not learning but stupidity.”

maybe the skipper was an ex surfer that’s why he found the crest too inviting to resist

That would really suck. I’d hate to be in their position. Hopefully their insurance was paid up.

Travis

Don’t forget to have fun!!!

I’m not sure that “rogue wave” is the correct description. I spoke with a friend of mine who has personally sailed in that area of SF Bay. He says the bottom shoals up rather quickly, hence the nearby location of the bridge tower.The shallow bottom caused the wave to break in this manner.Judging by the skimpy antifouling paint on the bottom, I would say this boat was not kept in the water. One must ask why he was even sailing into this area in the first place. My guess is that he is a novice, having launched from a trailer & lacking local knowledge.

a couple of clarifications:

1. it is not a rogue wave. it is incredibly rare for rogue waves to happen anywhere but outside the gate, and even at that they are very rare (last reported one that i can remember was in the early eighties down in santa cruz that took out a one off 40 footer with traps…sort of an early libera class type boat. i’m sure there have been more since, but not that i can remember being reported).
  2. the santana22 shown is actually a racing boat that has been chartered this year. while i do not know the charterers i can tell you they won their division in the ggyc midwinters, so the assumption that they are novice is incorrect.
  3. all oyra and yra s.i.'s have it explicitly stated that the area between the south tower and fort point is strictly verbotten.
  4. i was racing out in the ocean the day this occured. we had 10+ foot seas, 20-30 kts of breeze, and at the time of this incident, a pretty good ebb tide flowing. the channel is 300 foot deep and the edges of it by the south tower are less than 40’. there is a very real possibility that these fellas got pulled over to this area and had no time or choice but to ‘shoot the gap’.
  5. ft. point is known for some very good surf

hopefully this near tragedy will be a large lesson learned to many boaters, not just those in the bay. pay attention, know your currents, channels, and conditions. always be prepared to get the hell out of where you are.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by skifffy

…hopefully this near tragedy will be a large lesson learned to many boaters, not just those in the bay. pay attention, know your currents, channels, and conditions. always be prepared to get the hell out of where you are.
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

…and make sure your insurance is paid up! With Coast Guard, Sheriff, ParaMedics and a Salvage boat all arriving … oh my !

Maybe a conversation went like this?

<font color=“red”><font size=“3”>conversation</font id=“size3”></font id=“red”>

sailor: Hello - insurance company?

insurance company: Yes - how may we help you?

sailor: Just checking to see if I paid my insurance premium?
sailor: I think I may be processing a substantial claim in the next few days!
sailor: Can you tell me if I have “All Perils” coverage?

insurance company: Ummm Sir - we will have to get back to you on that - you wouldn’t believe what is on TV - Boy, is somebody in a lot of trouble!

[:-angel]

and make sure that all your charts are updated!
ed