Rigging Coupler (should be in scale sail area )

Greetings

Was doing a web search earlier today for brass rigging couplers and found at tower hobbies some nice ones made by HOBBICO. These are the Bristol Bay ones I believe they come 12 in a package.

Also there was a Proctor 3c and Proctor 2 turnbuckles.

Has anyone seen these or have them? Just wondering if they would work for the Latham. Second part of the question would be Has any one ever built brass turnbuckles, if yes how did you do it?

Jeff
Alberta

I have used the proctor a lot and then buy nuts to fit to lock them in place. No quick release. I am now trying the Sullivan 2-56 Gold-N-Clevis 12/$7and use 2-56 threaded couplers with 7 strand S.S. for shrouds soldered in the coupler. I tried the plastic clevis with the threaded coupler with the hole predrilled and spectra shrouds but I sail in salt water and the steel couplers rusted quickly. Most of my rigs are free standing. Lemke has had pictures here of the ones he makes.

Hoj
THanks for the response. I did a search at Tower hobbies and found the Sullivan gold-n-clevis nice looking. I was thinking of staying away from this type of clevis. I have the solder type clevis on my Victoria and noticed it is rusting already less then three months of use. No salt water here. I figured brass may last longer and would look better when the schooner is on static display.

I seen one set of couplers a fellow made that had two pieces of brass shaped into a ā€œJā€ . These inter locked and a brass tube slipped over to hold the parts together. Eye hooks were soldered/screwed intothe ends. I believe this allowed the unit to be adjustable. A washer at the bottom piece stopped the tube from falling off and the coupler disconneting.

I did a rough drawing of what it looks like.

Do you think it would work for a larger boat say 4 foot long and a schooner?

Download Attachment: coupler.JPG
9.4KB

Jeff
Alberta

Just looked at the Sullivan clevis and they are rusting after two uses.

Hoj

Ok living in the middle of Canada on the bald ass praire I never have to deal with salt water. I just wonder if Brass couplers or stainless steel couplers would rust up also? Stainless steel I am guessing would be fairly expensive to buy so it may not be a good choice. ALso SS is a lot harder to work with then brass at least I found it to be. I know when I visited the east coast a lot of the fishing boats and others had brass fittings would this have been do to the corrosion problem from salt water? Or to give the crew something to clean when things were slow? hahahahah

Jeff
Alberta