RG65 rules questions??

I’m looking over the rules, and I have some questions.

3.2 HULL
At each section of the hull there shall not be any point under 0.3 cm from another point of the same section nearer the keel/midbody line.

does this mean now hollows?

5.2 General
No part of the rig shall extend forward of the prow or behind its stern. Neither shall it extend more than 110 cm above the deck sheer.

where is the 110cm measured from?

5.3 SPars
All spars must have a section of less than a 1.2 cm diameter circle.

does this apply to the mast as well?

[b]HI:

I am not a expert in class rules, but I do have a RG 65.[/b]

3.2 HULL
At each section of the hull there shall not be any point under 0.3 cm from another point of the same section nearer the keel/midbody line.

does this mean now hollows?

YES, I GUESS IT IS THE SAME AS IN IOM OR ANY CLASS. THE HULL LINE SHOULD BE ALWAYS CONVEX OR AT LEAST STRAIGHT FROM SIDE TO SIDE ( HARD SHINE HULL) N,AND NEVER CONVEX OR WITH DEPRESSIONS.

5.2 General
No part of the rig shall extend forward of the prow or behind its stern. Neither shall it extend more than 110 cm above the deck sheer.

where is the 110cm measured from?

THE 110 CMS ARE MEASURED FROM THE DECK

5.3 SPars
All spars must have a section of less than a 1.2 cm diameter circle.

does this apply to the mast as well?

[b]YES, THE BOOMS AND MAST CAN BE ANY SIZE IN DIAMETER AS WELL AS THEY BE LESS THAN 12MM IN DIAMETER. BRAZILEAN TEAM USE TO HAVE 10MM CARBON MAST SPARS AND 8MM BOOMS, OR SO.

I THINK THAT IS TOO MUCH, I USE 6 MM OR 1/4" CARBON MAST SPARS AND 4MM (5/32") BOOMS.

hOPE THIS CAN HELP

TATO LAZO[/b]

Rule 3.2 was incompletely translated from the Spanish in the translation appearing on the RG65 site. Sorry … It should have read:
3.2 HULL
At each section of the hull there shall not be any point under 0.3 cm from another point of the same section nearer the keel/midbody line below the water line.

It means no tunnel hulls.

Deck sheer to top of mast at the mast position, excluding wind indicator.

Yes.

Cheers,

Earl

OK I should be more clear, lets assume a flat top deck no cockpit. If I have 8 cm of freeboard at the bow, and only 4 at transom do I measure mast hight from the bow or transom?

The illustrations http://www.rg65.com/portal/images/anexo1.jpg form an integral part of the rules and should be used in conjunction with the text. Anyway its far easier than trying to explain in words.

Dan - unless you are contemplating a super high aspect ratio main sail and small jib, the mast distance probably ( to be safe) should be measured from the position of the mast’s location (fore/aft) on the deck/hull.

On one of my hulls, I experimented with a curved, raised deck of about 1/4 - 3/8 inch height. I found I had plenty of mast length to shorten it by that much just in case “someone” decided it should be measured from the “deckshear” (or gunwales if you wish) and still have a reasonably tall mainsail.

I think if you use the allowable sail area, you should still have plenty of mast. Just as a guide - on the raised deck boat, my mainsail luff is roughly 38 inches and the foot of the main is 10 inches. This gives me 190 sq. inches for my main, excluding a small bit of roach. That leaves me with something around 150 sq, inches for my jib. This easily fits on a mast with a starting length of about 42-1/2 inches which, with sail headboard to mast-crane, leaves me nearly 4 -1/2 inches to work with from mast base to foot of mainsail. Even an inch loss due to raised deck wouldn’t create issues.

Ok, I have another question.

I see that the bow bumper needs to be 0.5 cm thick, but what’s the deal with it being 0.3cm wide? Is this the the width at the deck?

The bumper has to be 5 mm thick along the height of the stem and at least 3 mm thick as per the rules. I take that to mean that it must be at least 3 mm thick along the whole joint between it and the stempost and that it may taper forward of that i.e., it has a constant (triangular approx.) section from the deck down.

Dan - I would agree with Martin on this one.

Design hull with full pointed bow - then move back from bow until you reach a point that is 3 mm wide. Lop off flat at this point and replace with a piece of foam for bumper.

Boat for my son-in-law (now named “Dirty Deeds” - hey, he’s an AC/DC fan) was built without a bow bumper, since he will sail locally with just the family and probably never in any regional or national regatta. I bought a piece of thin foam from JoAnn fabric and will simply wrap around the bow and tape in place for our local “racing” and he can remove it for a display model without the “funky” looking bumper. If you look at the JIF65 plans, you will see the most forward bulkhead is very close to the above bumber measurements - meaning the front of hull will have a flat on it until bumper is added.

Attached photo of JIF 65 with bumper (top) and JIG65 without (bottom)

Ok thanks guys, I got it now.

Hi all !!!
I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Length.

the length specified in rule 1 does not mentions any overhangs, apendages, ect. only LOA
1.1.1 It is intention of these Rules to give ample freedom to design and build R/C sailing racing models whose length will be of 65 +/- 0,5 cm, with an rig height of up to 110 cm and a maximum sail area of 2250 cm2.

which I would read that I could make a 60 cm hull with 5cm overhang

but then I read rule 4.2

4.2 Rudder.
The rudder will be located in the center line of the hull, and will move only on one axis installed in the center line of the hull, and it shall not extend outside the overall length of the hull.

So Even if I made a shorter hull I could not make up the difference in LOA with the rudder since the rules do not specify a hull length only a LOA…for does 4.2 close this loophole for me…

Oh drat, your new boat has a transom mounted rudder. I think transom mounted rudders are outlawed by 4.2.

John

I can make it any way I want…I just though a transom mount woudl be cool with the look of the boat and all…