Region 2 Footy Championship - April 2012

The 2012 AMYA Footy Region 2 Championship
will be held in Orangeburg, NY on April 21, 2012. The NOR and application appear below. The
host club is #296, North East Model Sailers, which sails Footys. Victorias, Land
Sailers (in the Giants [Metlife] Stadium Parking Lot) and is trying to establish
an RC Laser fleet.

Orangeburg, NY is on the border of Regions 1 and 2, just a few miles from the
Tappan Zee Bridge and the New York Metropolitan area. Our lake was featured on
page 8 of the Spring 2011 Issue of Model Yachting.

We hope to see all of the Footy champions in April to gauge how high the bar has
been raised this year.

Note, if you are using a 75MHz Transmitter, please try to pre-register so we can
ensure the frequencies are cleared.

A reminder that the Region 2 Footy Regatta is coming up soon. A copy of the NOR is available from the link in the previous post. Or you can go to our club website at http://sites.google.com/site/nems296/. If you need any further information, contact me at walth934@optonline.net

This is another reminder that the Region 2 Footy Regatta is coming up very soon. An All-Star contingent of Scott Spacie, Herb Dreyer and Jim Linville is expected. A link to the notice of Race (NOR) can be found in the first post of this thread. If you need any help please contact me at walth934@optonline.net

Thanks to Hank, Walt and all the Orangeburg gang for hosting the R2 Championship. What had been forecast to be a rainy day turned out to be beautiful. We had sun, wind, an excellent field of boats, and a really enjoyable day of racing. I look forward to sailing there again.

Congratulations to Ron Lange, recent Footy enthusiast and the first R2 champion.

Bill

We have far too few Footy events in Regions 1 and 2. The Orangeburg club’s site straddles both and is a beautiful pond in a very nice setting. The guys and gals there put on a professional regatta and are to be congratulated!

Other than a radio breakdown that ended my day prematurely I had a great time! And so many Footies in one place, that was encouraging. It has seemed so long that Footy enthusiasts have been few and far between, lone wolves so to speak. It was great to see old friends and meet some new ones in person that I know by e-mail out on the race course.

Many thanks to the Orangeburg club, I do hope that we can do this again soon!

Walt sent me this report:

Footy Region 2 Championship Regatta - April 21, 2012

The North East Model Sailers had their first major regatta, which was also the first Region 2 Footy Regatta. What had been forecast to be a rainy day turned out to be beautiful. We had sun, wind, an excellent field of boats, and a really enjoyable day of racing. The skippers generally started with their “A” sails, then reduced sail as the wind increased during the day. All 5 trophy-winning boats used McRigs, and were Hagerup designs, except Scott Spacie’s heavily modified Pool Shark with its cat rig. All 5 were hard chine designs built from 1/64 plywood, except for Scott’s plastic Pool Shark and Bill’s heavily modified plastic Half Pint Too. All 5 were also single-diagonal hulls, except for the 2-D Pool Shark. Congratulations to Ron Lange, recent Footy enthusiast and the first Region 2 champion.

Summary of Footy Region 2 Championship Regatta - April 21, 2012

Class: Footy

Date: April 21, 2012

Host Club: North East Model Sailers (Club #296)

Number of Entries: 12

Winds: South to Southeast at 2-6 knots

Races Completed: 18

Scoring: low point

Race committee: Jeep Califano, Race Director and Dot Jennings, Melanie Buchanan, Al Monaco, Carl Hansen, assistants.

Trophies were awarded for the first 5 places, as follows. Some major boat design parameters are also listed.

Place Skipper Hull Bulb Total

oz         oz

1 Ron Lange, NY Cobra 3 8 15.6

2 Herb Dreher, MA Razor 3 8 15.6

3 Scott Spacie, NY Pool Shark 11 19.4

4 Bill Hagerup, NH Half Pint Too 7 13.0

5 Ira Cohen, NY Razor 3 8 15.6

The complete race report of the Region 2 Regatta, with pictures, is now available on the Racing page at http://Footy.RCsailing.net.