Regatta in Raleigh

Brett,
:zbeer:You can certainly take pride in your unique design. Of course, everyone is tweaking it to their own preferences. Scott has eliminated the luff pocket to get better control over the luff curve.

Interesting point, Walt. I took advantage of the simplicity of a flat sail/luff pocket to get ready for Raleigh under some time pressure…made 4 sails faster than I ever could have before. They worked well, but I typically make panelled sails. Has anyone made paneled sails with a luff pocket? I have that on my list to try, but someone elses’ experience might save me some time and grief experimenting.

Bill H

With regard to the luff pocket, it is difficult enough just to get it straight. I suppose you could wrap it around a curved stick to get a luff curve. There is another phenomena that is interesting. If you tape the top to the mast, and don’t attach the bottom (Brett’s original configuration), the tape will gradually slip and compress the luff against the boom, which puts a little bag into the sail. I have also tried putting little spacers inside the luff pocket at the top and bottom, in front of the mast, to create an artificial luff curve, and it works, but is cumbersome. Hank Buchanan has also suggested stretching a piece of tape along the luff, from top to bottom, and when it relaxes it will compress the luff as if you had put darts into it.

Charles had added a photo the missing skipper. I was tough to keep still during the regatta.

We also corrected some errors in the scoring. It never affected placement.

In other news, discussions have begun on when to plan the next Rally. Early spring is a possibility.

Congratulations to Tallastro and all the competitors for such a successful event!!
The venue looks beautiful. If I lived closer, I certainly would have attended.

I also found it interesting that the mac rigs placed as they did, since I’ve been a big fan of the concept from the early days. I certainly don’t make a claim that the rig is superior to a sloop rig, but only that it is capable of top end competitive performance. It will be interesting to see how it fares under a wider range of conditions.

The reason I am making these comments is that I have been asked to write an article about the rig for the upcoming winter edition of AMYA’s Model Yachting publication. I would invite comments from others who have experienced the rig to contact me with any input for the article.
If you are interested, either send me a PM, or email at: wwkorsgard “at” charter.net
Thanks,
Bill K

Congratulations to Tallastro and all the competitors for such a successful event!!
The venue looks beautiful. If I lived closer, I certainly would have attended.

I also found it interesting that the mac rigs placed as they did, since I’ve been a big fan of the concept from the early days. I certainly don’t make a claim that the rig is superior to a sloop rig, but only that it is capable of top end competitive performance. It will be interesting to see how it fares under a wider range of conditions.

The reason I am making these comments is that I have been asked to write an article about the rig for the upcoming winter edition of AMYA’s Model Yachting publication. I would invite comments from others who have experienced the rig to contact me with any input for the article.
If you are interested, either send me a PM, or email at: wwkorsgard “at” charter.net
Thanks,
Bill K

Long delayed weight data

I brought a scale to the regatta and tried my best to get a measurement. I didn’t have a cradle so the boats that slid off the scale had to be held gently in place. Anyway, here are the results. This is ready to race, batteries and all.

Place     Hull#    Weight (g)  
4    104     600 (did not sail, used borrowed boat) 
10     112     550
2     420     540
1     25     500
6     141    520
9     47     590
7     44     530
5     65     478
8     75     505
3     98     520