Regatta in Raleigh

Hi Paul,

I took my Fit to Massachusetts (1600 miles, round trip) earlier this month, 2 adults, 2 kids, and luggage. I even had room for a Footy but left it home. I’d just get myself in trouble if I brought it. :wink:

Looking forward to sailing the regatta and meeting a couple new faces.

We’re up to 4 actual entries and 5 verbal commitments. The bragging contest may be in the forums but the real contest will be on the water. Don’t miss out.

I’m going to Raleigh! Flight and hotel are booked. Hope that doesn’t mean I’ll be bringing 20mph wind, because I still don’t have a small rig! It will be great to meet John, Charles, Paul and the rest. Whatever else happens, I know we’ll have a good time.

Bill H

Congratulations Bill. Have a fun time and feed well on beans beforehand!

:devil3::devil3::zbeer:

Angus, in spite of what Scott or Jim might have said, I was NOT the one who created the big winds at our Region 1 Championship! :wink:

Great news all around. Including Bill, I now have 9 skippers registered and a couple more possible. Still plenty of room if anyone would like to surprise us.:zbeer:

Note to self. Build a ‘B’ rig for Raleigh. Tried my heavy ‘A’ rig in 25 knots two days ago. Not so good. See you all there. Paul.

Does your route take you past Savanah Paul :devil3: … ?

Graham

Graham, Savannah would be just a short detour off 95. we can discuss logistics on sunday, the thought had occurred to me. I’ll e-mail Daytona pond directions seperately. Paul

Well, today was tuning day at the lake. 5 Footy skippers showed up with boats. Everyone was eying my tall rig in the light winds. All the boats performed well. I hope this is a good sign of things to come.

The entries for the Rally in Rally are:
Paul Taylor, FL
Dick Proseus, NC
Scott Spacie, NY
Chris Argenta, NC
Jock Gault, NC
Chris Kakavas, NC
Chase Thomas, NC
Bill Hagerup, NH
John Amoroso, NC

Graham is hinting at attending but hasn’t pulled the trigger yet. I’ll give him another day to decide. One more week before another meeting of the Footys.

John, I’ll be working on Graham tomorrow, so maybe give him a 24 hour grace period. Tall rig eh, have to dust mine off, but not tomorrow, we have wind in the forecast. See you next week, Paul

Just received a call from Graham McAllister, he plans to come up to Raleigh to race Siren on Sunday. John I have sent you an e-mail with information of his request for consideration of a late entry. Meanwhile I’ll be fine tuning my tall rig in anticipation of a light air event. Paul

All the best to all of you!

A.

But at 05:40 EDT, actual windspeed 0 knots, gusting 0 knots.

Keep your fingers crossed !

I’m pooped, sunburnt, and very pleased with the outcome. :smiley:

We all had a great time. Good boats, good skippers and pretty good, if variable, conditions. And many examples on true Corinthian behavior.

Scott Spacie ruled the day, Bill Hagerup 2nd and Dick Proseus 3rd. I’ll have a more complete writeup soon. Thanks to all that sailed and fellow TMYC members that helped make the regatta possible. We had fun and more events are planned.

John

Congratulations! Sorry I couldn’t be there.

Raleigh was a great regatta!

John did a super job. It was great to see John, Charles, Graham, and Paul in person. Internet friends become better friends when you get to meet face-to-face. A good showing of very nice people from the local club, too.

Special thanks to Chris for loaning me a radio when my transmitter battery died.

My Switchblade (the balsa hull I posted recently) stayed together for the entire day. Considering it’s a new hull, new sliding rig mechanism, first time with a McRig…I was pleased to finish second.

Scott was invincible…Though I was often close, I think I only beat him in two of seventeen races. He really shows us what Footys can do…beautifully prepared boats and a very skillful skipper. Can’t wait for the next time we get to sail together.

Meanwhile, I’ll get more practice with the rig…I liked it, but tended to stall a bit rounding the marks. It seems the way I position the sail when rounding (based on my conventional-rig experience) isn’t quite right for the una rig. I was pleasently surprised how well it pointed. Need a bit more thumb time to get it all right.

Many thanks to John and his crew for a great day.

Bill H

My limited experience with the McCormack rig suggests that sheeting it in hard immediately tends to kill the thing stone dead. Harden in progressively as the speeed builds.

i second angus’ opinion… all my efforts show that as a fighter pilot says “speed is life” foot (no pun intended…:p:rolleyes:) off to pick up speed, and then slowly sheet in as you slowly bear up…

sounds like a great regatta… i’m sorry i missed it!!!

A great event very well run John, being there was well worth the mileage. Thank you Paul for the ride of course, without a little badgering and prodding from you and Jan I may not have made it. But I am so very glad that I did! I would encourage everyone who can, to travel to other Footy regattas in different areas, why? Well the Raleigh event taught me one thing before I even put my boat on the water, I need more and bigger rigs. In Sheboygan we always seem to have a nice breeze blowing and on the strength of that I believed that SiREN had quite a large sail area for a footy, wrong!

From a personal point of view I was happy with how SiREN performed, when we did get a couple of races with what I would call a light steady breeze she came alive and showed good comparative boat speed. I am looking forward to the ‘race by race’ results to see what actually happened throughout the field. I was very surprised to end in 5th place after sitting at the back of the fleet all morning.

Bill’s new hull looked nice and as we both appear to be fully payed up members on the ‘hard chine club’ it was great to see him do so well. His sliding mast is fascinating and is worth watching for we tinkerers. The Victor V-12 which I think came 3rd looked good on the water too. He was carrying lots of sail so looked a little low in the water when the breeze sprung up but forged on well all the same. Now that I have seen a V-12 racing I am impressed and would say that it is well worth a look for anyone wanting a vac formed hull easily available here in the USA. Well done Victor Models.

Well done to Scott of course, unbeatable on the day with his American Footy hulls and self built rigs. Does anyone have any photos they can share here?

Graham