Rc Mutlihulls

Wis, not in a multihull stability related context. It is important that I answer questions such as those presented by Mr. Lemke with the facts and the stability characteristics of foils(and to some smaller extent movable ballast) are important facts relating to small multihulls and their ability to or not to be able to carry a given sail area in a given wind.

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

oh sorry, I think, I read that you didnt have time for this project!
I guess, I miss-read!!!

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

Wis:I hate to see a grown man confused: the quote you refered to was under Matt’s topic:“an F48 for the masses”. As you might know I was referring to the on-line development of yet another boat as suggested by Matt.
I always have time to dispel myths about small multihull stability and control.

Doug Lord

oh, right!
You are “right” on this one!
Confused the post and thread!
mea maxima culpa

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

<s>Gale</s> (errr) ALIEN [:-alien] …

Please don’t confuse the issue with “facts” or “examples”! We rely on word-of-mouth on this forum… if someone “says so” it has to be true and accepted without question.

<center>[:D] [:-fight] [:-eyebrows]</center>

Gale, I have posted in numerous places that a reefable rig is an ideal rig on a one design such as most all my boats. I have also said that for DEVELOPMENT CLASS racing, if you can afford it,it is not an alien concept to have multiple rigs each specifically designed for a narrow wind range .
My rigs reef thruout the wind range and are always balanced… You ,maybe, are aware that the CE shifts aft in stronger winds thus when the main on the S50 is reefed the boat remains in balance . On the F3/X3 rigs the main can be reefed then jib removed or the opposite. When the jib is removed the mast is moved forward.
I have no issue with the IOM rig being used other than probable higher weight than necessary and a poor planform compared to a Wing Tip Rig or proper square top. The newer, rectangular planform rigs are ideal for multihulls because of better gust response and a lower CE for a given sail area than a triangular rig. In addition Wing Tip Rigs allow adjustment of an upper outhaul…
All multihulls, including foilers, require sail area adjustment as the apparent wind goes up but I’m not sold on teaching beginners on boats that use downsized rigs in conditions that don’t require them. Screws up boat handling, speed and performance in general.My multi’s come with a manual that specifically recommends when to reef which probably should be supplied with every multi. It is more critical with foilers though since they don’t capsize but something could fail if the boat is sailed in too high a wind without proper sail management. On most boats you can see overpowering; on foilers maybe not until something breaks so it is important to have a windmeter and use it and the manual. You can generally tell ,after some experience,when it’s time to reef.
On normal multi’s a manual could provide a guide of when to downsize the rig BEFORE handling gets too bad…

Doug Lord

Give him a bucket, because he is dribbling s*** again.

Contradictions in statement as usual, but this time in the same post.

Gale
If you haven’t worked it out yet. FIGJAM will not endorse anything that HE hasn’t designed. “Conventional sails” aren’t any good, rigs used on boats they weren’t designed for are not allowed(unless HE says there a good idea).

Unless you are prepared to use and fully endorse his thinking, ideas and technological advancements in R/C sailing don’t even bother doing it because you will never be any good. Might as well just go and play with small toy power boats- don’t think HE has anything to do with them.

Peter

Gale, the words I used were “upper outhaul” ; that is not an uphaul!
The tip that this works on is “bent” (extruded carbon) back so that the point where the peak (upper aft point on a gaff rigged sail) attaches is horizontal. The peak is attached so that it can be adjusted fore and aft just like the outhaul on the boom.(very handy). The throat position is the top of the luff on a gaff rig and is adjustable for initial set up but the downhaul(not cunningham) is used to adjust luff tension.
I think beginers should sail powered up multihulls-they got the thing for speed so they might as well learn right off the bat. BUT they should preferably sail the first few times in light air with the full rig. Failing that they should have guidance on how to set the boat up for the conditions. Under no circumstances should a beginner sail a multi without having it set up properly for the conditions. If manufacturers provided guidance with a manual then the beginner could whip out his/her windmeter and know exactly whether or not to change rigs up or down or to reef.
I’m convinced that a foiler (Bradfield type only-not surface piercing)is without a doubt the best beginers boat to buy ready to sail. Unless the person is an expert builder foilers are too difficult for BEGINING BUILDERS but are absolutely perfect for BEGINING SAILORS. The combination of breathtaking speed, ease of handling and lack of capsize/pitchpole is sure to encourage any beginner.
I’m also looking into canting keels as a possible solution (see “F48 for the masses” under Multihulls) for some beginners because the added power seems like it would make up for the bulb drag;2 pounds (about 1kg) used this way DOUBLES an F48/mini 40’s Righting Moment. Small weight -large power boost but rightability has to be tested.
I believe in going fast; I think that is what most people who get rc multihulls want…

Gale ,I conceived of the multiOne and asked Kris Harig to be class secretary.A number of us discussed the various possibilities at length; Dick and to some extent Kris came up with the idea of a “Sport” version(low sa-cheap cost). Read the archvies about that class: I was insistant then(as I am now) that for that boat to be reliably and successfully sailed by a beginner in medium to strong winds foils would be a requirement not an option.Thats why the boat has a max 48" beam!

edt:add multiONE
Doug Lord

Doug -
half height mast, half (or less) sail area, same beam = ??? righting moment?

Let me get this right–the multi-one class as conceived can’t be sailed successfully unless it is equipped only with a “bradfield” foiler system? And the only person selling this “system” has never had a multi-one available for sale?

Well, if true it explains why no one has registered a boat in years and why the class doesn’t seem to have any hope of achieving 20 boats…

Maybe its time to fold up the whole multi-one experiment and let it revert back to its alleged creator…

And it is truly amazing how once again this turned totally into a discussion of Doug Lord and his “ideas”…

Doug
Some home truths. You did not concieve the multione idea, maybe the name. The idea of one metre multihull’s has been around for years. They have been built upto about 4 years ago by people over here. Graham Howard was one and so was Tranth. Graham was into these boats 10 years ago, not sure how long Tranth has been at it.

What you have done is take an old idea and alter it abit. Don’t forget there are people all over world that use this forum. Ideas that YOU say YOU concieved have/may been done before. I was talking to some-one just a few hours ago who built a r/c spinnaker boat in 1971. He explained to be exactly how it worked. He has never heard of you, doesn’t use the internet but has been involved with innovative ideas on r/c boats for nearly 40 years.

So the next time YOU advertise that YOU have designed and built a new concept/technological advanced/major design breakthrough or whatever else YOU want to call it, just remember there are other people around this large world(made smaller via the internet) that tinker with r/c boats as well.

Peter

Peter, I have NEVER claimed to have the first spinnaker boat; Rich Matt was the first in this country-over 24 years ago! I have the first beam reach to beam reach fully gybable patented spinnaker system though!
And the first production spinnaker boats including the first (as far as I know) spinnaker equipped rc multihull.And the first production asymetrical spinnaker boat with a retracting bow pole.
I also have NEVER claimed that the multiONE was the first one meter multihull! Only that to be successfull with beginers it would need to have a Bradfield type foil system which is still the case.

Roy, I have provided the details of the rc version of the Bradfield system for free to any experienced builder; see Foiler Design under multihulls.Any skilled builder can use the info provided to design and build a succesfull foiler for fun or profit…
A multiONE or a 2 Meter can be built or anything in between -NOW.

edt:add BRD info
Doug Lord