RC Landyacht sailing video

This is a British design called the 1DL, made by Ian Moore who is the navigator for the Emirates Team New Zealand crew, sailing the Americas Cup in Valencia. It shows how simply these things can be made from a plastic tube, carbon fiber rod & mylar film.

http://tinyurl.com/kv3ad

Regards,
Bill
US 66

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about! Looks like just the type of simple design our club is looking for Bill.

The link doesn’t seem to work on Firefox - so open it with MS Explorer guys.

I had bo problems with my netscape.

Is he ever going to share his design? Maybe all we need to know is what kind of “pipe?” That and how the axle is mounted.

thx

Muzza,
Glad to hear you liked the concept. All you really need is a decent triangular shaped platform with wheels & electronics. It appeared that they were “overcanvassed” for the size of their platform in this wind. Properly proportioned rigs don’t capsize nearly this often. (Time to get out the scissors.)

Also, we’ve also found that a flexing platform is alot more forgiving in it’s ability to absorb gusts. Here’s the full URL for anyone having problems with the "Tinyurl’’ version:
http://www.emiratesteamnz.com/ot_dailygrind_play.aspx?video=060725_landyacht-lg.wmv&res=1&name=Ian%20Moore&pos=Navigator

I liked the part about racing & then going to “have a beer afterwards”…:wink:

Bill

The 1DL started out of an open class box rule which we all spent way too much time and money on so we decided to go one design. All the boats are made from simple materials (drain pipe Primarily) but are made on a jig so they are all the same and they all use the same sheeting servo and wheels and carbon axle. The steering is made from the landing gear of a model aeroplane. There are now 50 of them world wide in UK, Netherlands, New Zealand, USA and Japan. Mark Jardine and I, who started the class, are now working on a way to keep the one design part of it but to let people build their own, perhaps a simple kit or just a set of plans that could be freely distributed. I would be grateful for your thoughts on this. All the best. Ian

PS we are having a European Champs on 13th of August in Valencia (12 Entrants so far)

WOW , I never thought we’d get a visit from you, personally. :bravo: Maybe my email of last night worked.:slight_smile:

Personally, I think the pipe idea makes it esier to build, and it looks good for beginning builders.

I’m thinking of putting everything through the pipe; the axle, the mast, the nosewheel. Even the servos and radio will go into a cut-out on the top of the pipe. Makes for a quick assembly & disassembly, and it all will probably fit into a long box or a bigger pipe. The slip-on sail has me thinking tho.

I think you’ve come to the best place, if you want to get the word out on your design. We’ve got some great designers from all over the world,; from France, Germany, Brazil, U.S.A., even down under.

Check out the Footy yacht section or http://footy.rcsailing.net/ Developed by some of the gents right here!

thx:tapedshut:bravo:

Ian,
People have been asking for free plans & it could be something that would spur interest in the hobby.

Good luck at the European Regatta. Please give us the results.
Any chance it will be videoed?

Regards,
Bill K
IRCSSA US 66
http://www.iceboat.org/RCBoats/rc%20boats.htm

I’m having great fun researching this. Sure - “free” plans would be helpful, but there seems to be enough out there for someone with a background in the soft water equivalent to have a go at designing something themselves within the chosen class. In addition to Bill’s site, Kris Seluga’s notes here http://www.rclandsailing.com/design.html are great.

I’ve started pulling together some notes on materials etc with a view to coming up with a simple prototype, which draws heavily on the information already available online. I’m still trying to decide whether to start with a Class II or Class III - but I guess Class II makes sense, as we can experiment for a slightly lower cost.

Bill - do you think that the “better air” accessed by the taller Class III rig makes it worth diving straight in with the larger model?

Bill’s comment above with regard to the flexing platform presents a challenge, coming up with something flexible, but strong enough not to fail. I love these little engineering problems.

I note that other solutions include a flexible mast which will fall off to leeward in gusts (not an option with a wing) and also one model online which using a spring system on the stays to achieve the same result. All good stuff.

As rank amateurs at this, we’ll go for a non-wing sail to start with. I’ve probably got enough “junk” in my garage to make a start (plywood, carbon, epoxy, aluminum, mylar etc). The wheels and the mast looks like being about the only things I’ll need to go shopping for.

We’ve got two more months of software sailing to go this year, so look for our first embarrasing attempts to be hitting the car park in November. I’ll document the failures as we go. :slight_smile:

IMO, the only thing that you really need to know, other than what pipe to use, is how to attach the carbon rod axle, nosewheel, mast and servos.

I think the servos go into rectangular holes cut in the top of the pipe ( like a 1 1/2" schedule 20 (“thin-walled” PVC) in the usual way, with the radio & battery stuck on with velcro, the cross axle through the center of the pipe with some wood/plastic/etc. reinforcements there, and the same with the nosewheel and mast, but with more substial supports.

Muzza,

Yes, Kris has some very solid engineering based info on his site.

Personally I’m a bit biased towards the larger Class 3, as I don’t think the added material costs would be all that much & the build time would be almost the same. The advantage would be better air with the taller rig, but a possible disadvantage would be transport issues if you had a very small car. Don’t get me wrong, there have been some very nicely built Class 2 models. If you go to Class 3, I would suggest maxing out the platform at 1m wide x 1.5m long, but don’t feel compelled to reach the full 2m height limit. Try to keep weight as far aft as practical.

As far as plank flexure, check out the IRCSSA Yahoo forum for the “Plank Deflection” comments. My 36" wide planks bend between 1" & 1.5" with an 8# weight, the softer the better until you start bottoming out. Two pieces of 1/8" thick x 1.5" wide pine,spruce or fir, laminated into at least a 1" camber will be a good starting point. The beauty of using wood is that it can be easily softened or stiffened, which carbon fiber rod cannot. The camber is essential if it’s bending enough. Also, a simple sleeved luff sail over a CF tube will work just fine for a rig.

Bill

I wish I could make one myself. I’ve been wanting to try LandSailing for a few years. Just too many projects going, #1 being a new jib for my ODOM, and #2 is to put aFooty in the water before I go visit my girl in FL.

3 or 4 all-nighters in a row would get me caught up.:smiley:
3or 4

Tomo,
I find it interesting that you felt compelled to comment on “the only thing that you really need to know” before you’ve ever done it.
That reminds me that you were building a Footy 6 months ago. How far along is it? Photos?
Bill K

How would I even know how to start on one of there isn’t any information yet?

I work on boats if and whenever I get some time, which is only on weekends. Sailboats are last on my list of priorities. And I don’t take photos, because it’s only for my own satisfaction.

And it’s almost done. OK?

Oh, OK, glad to hear it. Let us know how it sails.

I guess what I’m getting at is that if you have low interest in actually building a landyacht, and have no direct knowledge or experience to contribute, I’m not sure why you bother to post a comment.

BTW, there is all sorts of information out there (as noted by Muzza). If you aren’t provided with all the details (plans), most of the fun is putting together the concepts into a final form. This is called DESIGN.