power jack

guys
have any of your guys use the hitec 785hb winch? all the stats call for a 6 volt pack. I am wondering if anybody has used a seperate power pack for thier winch. I would like to see how to wire up a second pack . Then use a power jack plug. the idea i want to use . Is to put a 6 volt nicad pack and attach it to the keel fin. Then just use the jack to charge it. Does anybody know how to do it?
cougar:idea_125:

Are you talking about one of those switch things with the charging jack? It has a little door covering the charge jack.

You’ll need a solder on a separate cord to the battery to charge the battery, and cut the red wire going to the receiver (I think that’s what you want).

tom
sort of what i am looking for. my winch is run from the reciever pack. 4.8 volts. i would like to run it from a seperate pack ie 6 volts, so i am wondering how i could wire up the servo. AND wire up the charging jack. I think you get the idea though
has anybody tried running a 7.2 volt flat pack. though the reciever/servos
cougar

In fast electrics some people will power the Rx straight from a 9V battery. Convenient & light. Receivers are mostly CMOS circuits, which run on 3-15 volts, but some are oddball TTL parts (probably the older units).

The important thing for your setup to power the winch and rceiver separately is to cut the red (V+) wire between the receiver and winch, but keep the black and white (Ground and signal) wires connected. That way the receiver and winch never share battery wring. Then connect separate batteries to each. I think it would be easer to run the Rx of fthe winch battery.

To charge the winch battery you’ll just need an extra tail & connector long enough to reach out. You could use a 7.2 Volt flat pack; check your winch info to see if you can run it straight or you’ll either have to remove a cell or install a voltage regulator of some sort.

Cougar -
any reason why you can’t purchase a battery holder for 4 1.5v AA size batteries? I use 1.5 volt which, times four, gives me 6 volts. The holders are plastic, prewired, and run about $4.00 or so. They include the appropriate type of plug for radio receiver being used when you order them.

I do have to pull my holder from inside the hull for charging, but I have a double wire charger that does the Tx batteries INSIDE the radio, and the second line connects to the battery holder plug.

I run my HiTech servo/winch (it’s a HS-815BB) using the recommended “Y” Harness which powered both servo and receiver. My guess (??) is the smaller ones could work in a similar method.

dick
you have just posted what i was thinking. buying a ready made pack though. then hooking up the servo to it. the problem i seem to have . is that , I cant get my head wrapped around the idea of a charging jack? now i have 3 wires . red, white, and black. now I assume white and black are the signal wires and that red carries the power( me being canadian red = hot= power) you cut that wire and put in the battery. BUt does anybody have a diagram showing How to hook up a charging jack so that i can use a ready made nimh pack. or does dicks idea show the best way to do it?
cougar:angel:

Dicks idea is just like yours, but you don’t need the charging connector because you just replace the loose alkaline cells instead.

The reason for cutting the red wire between the sailwinch and the receiver is so the the winch battery isn’t powering the receiver, and the receiver battery isn’t powering the sailwinch servo.

The black wire is a common ground, so you need to leave all the black wires uncut, and the same with the white ( or sometimes yellow) which is the signal wire from the receiver.

BTW- instead of cutting the wire, you can just remove the metal contact from inside the male connector, and secure/insulate with tape, etc., in case you want to return things back to normal.

Did you consider just powering the whole thing through the sailwinch battery connector? It would only require the one battery. The Hitec HS-815BB servos do this via the ‘Y’ cord.

thx

I found this on the RMG Sailwinch site. I don’t know how close it is to what you want, but at least it’s a drawing.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/rmgsw/alt-cct.htm

Tell me more about the “three way switch with a cap” sounds what I am looking for.

Ernie Thorpe, Ventura CA

Way too complicated. Everyone I know runs a six volt, five cell pack for both the receiver and the servos/winch. The receiver is fine with six volts and it gives more grunt to the winch.

On one electric mono, I power the receiver & rudder servo with a regular 9-volt battery! I glued the connector to the bottom, so to turn the boat on or off, you just plug in or pull out the battery.