Pea Pod Plans?

Hi, I’m new to this group. About 20(+/-) years ago I got the plans for a Pea Pod sailboat from some hobby magizine. The boat was built with “door skin” plywood. The plywood was cut into 4 peices and laced together and fiberglassed seams on the inside. I built it and was vary pleased with the results and it was easy to build. The finished size was approx. 36" X10" beam.

Due to a number of moves, I no longer have the plans and have never completed the radio instalation and rigging so I am unsure how to go about building the mast, sails, etc. The basic boat is still in great shape!

Can anyone help me with how to aquire a copy of the plans and/or give me some advice on how to figure mast hight, sail size and shape or anything that would help?

Thanks!

I have a friend here in town that built one about 25 years ago for a project with cub scout group. I will check and see if he has any information for you. (He keeps everything)
[:D]

www.LudwigRCYachts.com

Have you looked at the thechnicle article at www.amya.org that is all about scratch building u.s.onemeter boats? there’s a wealth of info there on making keels, rigs, radio installation etc. Off hand 36x10 sounds about right for the proportions of a real pea-pod to me. The original pea-pods I think had very simple sprit sails. Have you seen Chapelles book on early american small boats? Its the definitive record (I think) on pea pods which are very elegant. I bet if you got a hold of an old fin and bulb from an R/C Laser it would be about the right weight. WWW.towerhobbies.com has all the radio stuff.

I like pea pods-
Good luck

I have some photo copied plans - both stock and then the revised hull/sail version. We have a couple sailing here, and a couple more being built. Email me and I can scan and send you pages, or mail to you. Just need to find them - moved offices and they are probably still in a box.

A rather “ungainly” looking boat, east to build using stitch and glue method and thin 1/8 inch or 3mm plywood. Sails OK for as heavy and wide as it is. No problem giving controls to kids and letting have a go - since they are pretty bullet-proof.

<center></center>