Painting my hull and finishing it?

So I got my glassed hull as smooth as possible, then I get all the dust off the hull. I then painted it with Krylon Fusion black paint, I made several very light passes and gave plenty of time to allow it to dry. 8 hours later when it was dry, I Sanded the transom with 2000 grit sand paper. When sanded with the 2000 grit paper the transom was smooth, but the finish was dull without any shine? Do I now wax the hull to get the shine back or use a polyurithane finish over that, then sand that?

What are the steps yal use do when painting your hull.

Thanks and I am loving building my own hull! I am going to make a couple of Footies with the same process making a female mold.

Vince

You might like to take a look at my latest project… it features on my website at the moment. There’s a full building diary plus finishing tips…

The final finish on my glassed/painted surfaced is T-Cut, a car paintwork cutting compound - designed to put a shine back on your car. Brings a hard surface up like glass…

Philip Rawson

www.flymodels.co.uk

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by philiprawson.rcsailing@nt

The final finish on my glassed/painted surfaced is T-Cut, a car paintwork cutting compound - designed to put a shine back on your car. Brings a hard surface up like glass…

Philip Rawson

www.flymodels.co.uk
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Philip -

As I recall - you really can’t bring a shine back if you used regular enamel paints. You have to “spray in” the shine, whereas lacquer (bad for plastic hulls) and the newer acrylics and polyurethanes can be buffed/polished to a shine - or clear coated.

This may be old info - and the formulas for paints easily could have changed. Since I’m not a painter by trade, can anyone in the industry update on what can/can’t be polished to increase or bring back the shine? I always thought enamel stayed soft (compared to lacquer or the “thanes”) and polishing could help, but the shine was in the application.

Good subject. Any auto painters out there?

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Dick Lemke

Philip -

As I recall - you really can’t bring a shine back if you used regular enamel paints. You have to “spray in” the shine, whereas lacquer (bad for plastic hulls) and the newer acrylics and polyurethanes can be buffed/polished to a shine - or clear coated.

<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

You’re no doubt correct that some paints can’t be buffed… My experience is fairly limited to buffing epoxy, two pack clear coats, cellulose and some spray paints… some of the softer paints need a couple of weeks to dry hard enough to take a shine and some need treating very gently. I’ve not tried enamels on a surface I needed to polish…

Philip Rawson

www.flymodels.co.uk