Oversized boat

With the recent post on planking it occured to me that when I built the plug for my Mistral I didn’t cut the shadows down to allow for plank thickness. Would anyone venture a guess as to what effect having the boat 1/4" wider and 1/8" deeper would have. I can see that the displacement would increase but I ballasted to float on the design waterline. Wetted surface would increase. What effect would this stuff have on the boats performance? Just curious- there is obviously nothing I can do about it.
Don

Don Case
 Vancouver Island

I’m guessing any differences in performance compared to a “true” Mistral, will be less than the differences in the skippers, sails, wind shifts on the day etc.

In theory,the hull will be ever-so-slightly fuller in the bow. As she’s ballasted to the design waterline, I’m guessing she’s a touch wider at the waterline beam too. How does weight compare to other Mistrals?

So in theory, she may be a little stiffer to windward and tight reaching, but will have to punch the waves a little more. She may have a little more floatation in the bow - good downwind in a blow. She’d be slightly sticky in the light on all points of sail (depending on that weight thing - more wetted surface?) If the hull weight was low, then the ever-so-slightly greater displacement will have allowed more lead on the keel to get her down to design waterline - she should be quick on a power-reach eh?

In practice, I doubt you’d notice any difference. I’d be happy to take a hull from your oversized mould![8D]

Muzza

If I have time this week. . . I will widen the mistral lines out in the computer and figure out what you have done to the displacement and water line. Ill let you know what displacement you would have to sail at to bring it down to the designed waterline, or, at the existing disp, what the new waterline will be. But if mike hughes is around, he probably can tell you quicker than I because I would have to first model the mistress.

-Todd

Thanks guys
This is interesting.I might learn something .
Don

Don Case
 Vancouver Island