Outline for Moderation

I made this outline so that forum members know what they can expect of me, and what I expect from them in the future. That is as long as everything outlined bellow is ok with Chad. I would encourage the other moderators to post something of a similar nature.

If a Post is deemed to be unacceptable I will proceed in the following way.

1. The author will be notified by e-mail/pm, and asked to voluntarily change the post to make it acceptable.

2. After 24 hours from the sending of the e-mail/pm, if the post has not been changed, it will be changed by me to make it acceptable. At the bottom of the post a message will be added that reads: ?edited by forum moderator date/time?

Unacceptable Behavior

1. Bating Tactics: Innuendo, allegations, accusations, etc.

2. Ridiculing: Verbally degrading other forum members by saying that they are ?100% wrong?, ?don?t know what there talking about?, ?uneducated?, ?and idiot?, ?don?t understand the topic?, etc.

3. Hostile E-mails: If a forum member receives a hostile e-mail, sent from this forum or a regular e-mail account because of a comment they made on the forum; please notify a moderator, or the forum administrator, so that appropriate measures can be taken. Every member should be able to speak there mind without fear of reprisals.

4. Unfounded claims: To reduce conflict between members avoid statements that are not readily verifiable by fellow members such as; ?my boat is the fastest?, ?my boat is the most high tech?, ?class a is the coolest?, ?class a is the fastest?, etc.

Advice for users

When making posts about topics that other members might be passionate about please consider some of the following statements ?I think?, ?I believe?, ?in my opinion?, ?it?s my believe?, etc.

-Dan

Just for info, and AGAIN before registering here:

If you agree to the terms and conditions stated below, press the “Agree” button. Otherwise, press “Cancel”.

In order to use these forums, users are required to provide a username, password and e-mail address. Neither the Administrators of these forums, or the Moderators participating, are responsible for the privacy practices of any user. Remember that all information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to share any of your personal information. Any user who finds material posted by another user objectionable is encouraged to contact us via e-mail. We are authorized by you to remove or modify any data submitted by you to these forums for any reason we feel constitutes a violation of our policies, whether stated, implied or not.

This site may contain links to other web sites and files. We have no control over the content and can not ensure it will not be offensive or objectionable. We will, however, remove links to material that we feel is inappropriate as we become aware of them.
These forums give users two options for changing and modifying information that they provide in their profile:

Users can login with their username and password to change any information in their profile.
In case of lost password, users can send an e-mail to chad@buckeyeweb.com.

Cookies must be turned on in your browser to participate as a user in these forums. Cookies are used here to hold your username and password and viewing options, allowing you to login.

By pressing the “Agree” button, you agree that you, the user, are 13 years of age or over.

If you do agree with the rules and policies stated in this agreement, and meet the criteria stated herein, proceed to press the “Agree” button below, otherwise press “Cancel”.

Furthermore, I agree with all points Dan made in his post.

Something usefull…when editing post(s) try to underline what you edited or any other sign should be OK as well…no comment about this… (no offense).

Here is my email address, in case of any questions, suggestions or complains[:-angel].

wis_mer_hell@hotmail.com

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

Dan,

Those are pretty broad topics. But it sounds like you have the right idea. Kudos to you for stepping up to the plate and taking a swing at this…

One clarification question: Are you going to act “pre-emptively”, or only when someone objects? In other words are you going to be a referee (calling fouls when you see them) or a judge (settling disputes brought to you by others)?

Good Luck

• Will

Will Gorgen

A thought on editing of problem posts.

I don’t know if letting somethng stay up for 24 hours is a good idea. A lot of people can read and respond to a post in that period.

A possible solution would be to have the moderator immediately remove the offensive material, then notify the poster and allow them to suggest a substitute for the moderator’s changes.

Don’t know if its the best answer, but it doesn’t let problematic material stay out in the open for very long.

I would also issue the following suggestion to those individuals editing their own posts for clarity. I know that we all make mistakes when typing and press the submit reply button before we have thoroughly thought about what we have written.

When replying in the heat of reading a post a suggestion to all,is “wait”, “rethink”, and “wait again”.

We have had comments about people editing their post. This forum allows for two commands which can make it simple to do.

1. The Strikethrough command where you bracket the text being removed by the <s> remove </s> commands. This will strike through the text. The method to do this is under the forum code link.
  2. Use the <u> underscore </u> command to indicate text that has been added.
  3. If you put text in a posted message which upon review you deem offensive or questionably offensive. Just delete it and issue a blanket apology.

Remember, we are not face to face, we don’t see the non-verbal communication that is being sent in face to face communications, we don’t hear he chuckle even if we put the smiley faces or :<) in our text. Remember, if you wouldn’t say it face to face, or over the phone, don’t put it in writing.

Doug Hale

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>
In order to use these forums, users are required to provide a username, password and e-mail address.
Users can login with their username and password to change any information in their profile.
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>
A question, WHO are " Anonymous Members ", if, to use the Forums the above is required?.
Surely would be much better, now we are all behaving like Gentlemen, for all posters to be seen at all times?.
Unseen posters is inviting deceit, if the above info is required to join the forum, it should remain on view.
John.

Will, Roy

The decision to be pre-emptive or not depends on a post. For example if a member calls someone a ?blankedy blank blank?, etc I will edit the post and then notify the member, to allow them to make it more acceptable. The 24 hour notice is more for the ?questionable? posts. I would encourage members to contact a moderator if they take exception to something, and not post a reply. Hopefully I won?t have to make any pre-emptive edits, or any edits at all for that matter.

John

As I understand it, ?Anonymous Members? is a login related option. You can be online without other members knowing you are. If you make a post, the forum will associate your username with the post, so you can?t make an anonymous post. I?m not sure I understood your question, so if need be shoot me a pm.

-Dan

dan
i like the rules. i will follow them. but only if chad will agree to them. the only i problem i see if number 4 . anybody can say, they have proven tech. that will beat most boats. but the problem i have is , people who make a post saying that thier design is 40% faster than ALL boat in the water. this (%) is where i have my problem. i know of one skipper who can make junk fly faster than me. does that meen his boat is faster, no it meen he is faster. he can say his piece of junk is faster but he cannot say 40% faster.
otherwise i like all of what you said
cougar

Update on previous “bitching rant” !

Since I was very much disappointed (mad?) about sending emails and private messages and receiving no answer from Chad, I think it only fair to finally report I received a response from him today regarding the issues I was bringing to his attention.

Suffice to say - I did get a response today. Will see what happens from here on out.

<font color=“maroon”><blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by dansherman

I made this outline so that forum members know what they can expect of me, and what I expect from them in the future. That is as long as everything outlined below is ok with Chad. I would encourage the other moderators to post something of a similar nature.

If a Post is deemed to be unacceptable I will proceed in the following way.

1. The author will be notified by e-mail/pm, and asked to voluntarily change the post to make it acceptable.

2. After 24 hours from the sending of the e-mail/pm, if the post has not been changed, it will be changed by me to make it acceptable. At the bottom of the post a message will be added that reads: ?edited by forum moderator date/time?

Unacceptable Behavior

1. Bating Tactics: Innuendo, allegations, accusations, etc.

2. Ridiculing: Verbally degrading other forum members by saying that they are ?100% wrong?, ?don?t know what there talking about?, ?uneducated?, ?and idiot?, ?don?t understand the topic?, etc.

3. Hostile E-mails: If a forum member receives a hostile e-mail, sent from this forum or a regular e-mail account because of a comment they made on the forum; please notify a moderator, or the forum administrator, so that appropriate measures can be taken. Every member should be able to speak there mind without fear of reprisals.

4. Unfounded claims: To reduce conflict between members avoid statements that are not readily verifiable by fellow members such as; ?my boat is the fastest?, ?my boat is the most high tech?, ?class a is the coolest?, ?class a is the fastest?, etc.

Advice for users

When making posts about topics that other members might be passionate about please consider some of the following statements ?I think?, ?I believe?, ?in my opinion?, ?it?s my believe?, etc.

-Dan

<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”></font id=“maroon”><hr noshade size=“1”><hr noshade size=“1”>
Based on this outline of “Suggested Behaviour” - (the ONLY SET OF RULES POSTED) my original post followed these guidelines and was deleted - WITHOUT WARNING OR NOTIFICATION FROM THE MODERATOR!

In my original post - there were NO: <blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Innuendo, allegations, accusations, etc.<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

In my original post - there were NO:<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”> Verbally degrading other forum members by saying that they are ?100% wrong?, ?don?t know what there talking about?, ?uneducated?, ?and idiot?, ?don?t understand the topic?, etc.<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”> IN FACT - I asked what school the poster earned his degree at - that allowed him to be such a knowledgeable person in fluid dynamics, physics, etc. IT WAS A QUESTION !!!

In my original post, there were NO allegations of: <blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Hostile E-mails: If a forum member receives a hostile e-mail, sent from this forum or a regular e-mail account because of a comment they made on the forum; please notify a moderator, or the forum administrator, so that appropriate measures can be taken. Every member should be able to speak there mind without fear of reprisals.<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

In my original post, there were NO: <blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Unfounded claims: To reduce conflict between members avoid statements that are not readily verifiable by fellow members such as; ?my boat is the fastest?, ?my boat is the most high tech?, ?class a is the coolest?, ?class a is the fastest?, etc.<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

In my original post I DID FOLLOW the suggestion: <blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Advice for users -
When making posts about topics that other members might be passionate about please consider some of the following statements ?I think?, ?I believe?, ?in my opinion?, ?it?s my believe?, etc.<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

I followed what little provided rules were provided, yet in return for suggested rule compliance, NONE OF THE FOLLOWING WERE FOLLOWED - <blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>

2. After 24 hours from the sending of the e-mail/pm, if the post has not been changed, it will be changed by me to make it acceptable. At the bottom of the post a message will be added that reads: ?edited by forum moderator date/time?<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

<font color=“red”>So Matt - where exactly DO YOU STAND and WHAT IS YOUR EDITING POLICY?</font id=“red”>
(I believe that is an allowable question?)

Matt,
Where does my posting of “Chin,chin,old Boy,Chin chin”, break the above Rules?.
John.