Open Design Class

Design Rules for Open Design Class Model Yacht

This is a set of rules based here are for the Open Design Class for those that wish to design a model yacht for racing competition this could also be used for model yacht design competition as well.

[ul]
[li]To designed for racing. [/li][li]The open design class comes in various length sizes the are 1 metre, 2 metre, 2.5 metre, 3 metre and possibly 3.5 metres Length overall. [/li][li]This boat can be a Monohull, Catamaran, Trimaran or even a Quadmaran. [/li][li]The beam, draft, draught, hull construction, keel types, sail area, mast configuration setups etc is pretty much left up to the designer/s , this also includes the use of water ballast, canting keels, canting rig are allowed but water ballast is not to be use to shift once you are racing. All servos etc must be in water tight containers and also have bilge pumps to pump out any access water (depending on size).[/li][li]Sails can be reefed into the mast, jibs can also be reefed (if possible) spinnakers can be used, bow spirits can be used and retracted, this will depend on the size of the model. The type of sail cloth and the weight of such is left up to the designer.[/li][li]The design can have a cabin if you like for aesthetic looks but not necessary. [/li][li]The model is to be self righting in the event of a knockdown [/li][li]The model can be sailed in lakes, bays, estuaries and coastal/open waters[/li][li]The boat is to be built and repaired by the home builder[/li][li]Boats must be fully transportable whether in a car or on a trailer (depending on the size. [/li][li]Depending on the size and the complexity of the vessel you may need more than one modeller to sail the vessel, unless you use a large RC Unit of up to 48 channels. Also depending on the size and complexity that an Internal combustion engine (diesel) can also be fitted with folding prop (2.5 to 3.5 metre range) [/li][li]The plans shall contain information to build the model or if not stated on the plans then a construction manual must be well written with lots of photos and diagrams which will be done step by step for the builder to build the model.[/li][li]All plans will include fully detailed drawings i.e. a sheet on sails another on rigging etc etc just like you find on Full Size Yacht Design. [/li][li]All products are to be ?Off the Shelf? where there are no products that are ?Off the Self? then the designer must develop their own products on the plans for the home builder to build it.[/li][li]A badge is to be designed for this class and placed on the mainsail and also the length is to be included i.e. ODC 1/M, ODC 3.5er etc come up with something that is really cool.[/li][li]A list of suppliers would also be a helpful when sourcing out suppliers.[/ul] [/li]
Your thoughts on the above design rules.

The words “multihulls” and “self-righting” are normally contradictions - it can be done, but adding the equipment to do it negates much of the multihull’s light weight.

:snorkel:

Joz,
WOW, I can see you put alot of thought into this list. My only comment is that they are so are so wide ranging that they could be summarized with the phrase “anything goes”, which is pretty much what I’ve always understood the “Open Class” to mean anyway. My point is that a set of “rules” so all inclusive to allow anything from a Footy to a 3 meter trimaran becomes more or less meaningless.

Most classes are established to enable competition between similar categories of boats. The AMYA Open Class seems to be a “holding tank” of designs that don’t fit into other classes, but have not yet gained enough momentum to claim a class of their own.

Regards,
Bill K

Joz,
WOW, I can see you put alot of thought into this list. My only comment is that they are so are so wide ranging that they could be summarized with the phrase “anything goes”, which is pretty much what I’ve always understood the “Open Class” to mean anyway. My point is that a set of “rules” so all inclusive to allow anything from a Footy to a 3 meter trimaran becomes more or less meaningless.

Most classes are established to enable competition between similar categories of boats. The AMYA Open Class seems to be a “holding tank” of designs that don’t fit into other classes, but have not yet gained enough momentum to claim a class of their own.

Regards,
Bill K