One Third ACC

Here is the ultimate toy for the boys. Now available on E bay.
It is a one third scale ACC used for tank testing, and now rigged for your sailing pleasure.
There are two of them. Anyone for match racing?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Americas-Cup-1-3-scale-sailing-model_W0QQitemZ4617095389QQcategoryZ63730QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can’t find it.

Wow, if only I had the money.

Some of the pictures look like picture of the full-sized boat or of a 1/2 scale boat. The picture of the keel bulb looks awfully big for a 26-foot model.

Otherwise, that model is longer than the old 24-foot weekender.

speaking of things on eBay, check this one out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7394629246&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Too bad he didn’t include more pictures, although I guess they’re availble upon request.

For about the same money, you can sit IN one or ON the other. :sly:

Looks similar in size to an Etchells but a helluve lot faster probably.:spin:

notice that the rig is tiny for the boat. The hull and the foils are all to scale, but the sail area was reduced to avoid overpowering.

I’ll bet they kept the rig for whatever new hull is being tested, and they put on the smaller one for the sale.

I’ll bet they kept the rig for whatever new hull is being tested, and they put on the smaller one for the sale

I bet they didn’t,
Its the cube law…the full size sail plan would be to much for a 1/3 scale model.
Length is 1/3
sail area is 1/9
displacment is 1/27

A sail area of 1/9 the orginal will be to much for a boat that weighs 1/27 of the original.
Thats way model yachts don’t look like real ones.

I wasn’t referring to the rig from the full-sze yacht! The mast alone would probably capsize that model. Not to mention the tons of tension from the runing rigging.

Brett,
You are entirely correct about the “scaling effect”. Length, area and volume never scale down proportionately to each other. That being said, I wonder if there isn’t something else going on here. By comparison, my 25’ shoal draft cruising sailboat (SA/D~17) has a 31’ mast & this one is only 25’ tall. I wonder if the narrow beam doesn’t have a big impact on form stability.

Tomo,
I don’t think anyone was talking about the full sized rig. That would be absurd.

Regards,
Bill

To me, it looks like Brett was suggesting I was thinking that the Rig in the picture was the full-sized rig. It looks a lot like one, but obviously a scaled hull needs a scaled rig. Maybe Brett would cexplain his statement.

Anybody happen to know the spec on the full-sized rig (mast height & weight?)

thx

I think my statement was clear,Bill and others seem to have understood what I wrote.
But here goes again just for you Tom,
A 1/3rd scale model will have a mast 1/3 the length of the full size boat.BUT the sail area will only be 1/9 of the full size boat.Sounds alright so far we have less sail area than the real boat by a long way…BUT the displacment of our 1/3 size boat is only 1/27 of the full size boat (3x3x3) so even the 1/9 sail plan will be to much for this boat to carry.
Tom I read your profile…IT instructor and scientist and I really wonder…

I agree with your mathematics, but you mean the scales should be scaled down by that much to remain accurate. That’s not always the case.

And my profile is VERY ACCURATE. The company I work for pays me well to do the job I do very well. You were expecting a dissertation on cosmology?

I agree with your mathematics, but you mean the scales should be scaled down by that much to remain accurate. That’s not always the case.

Unbelivable…

And Exactly What Do You Mean By That???

warnings given