ok another good topic, keel fixtures

sorry about all the questions but this is my first time building a boat, i was wondering if theres a resource page for all this but if not than how can i go about cutting an accurate slot for the heel to go in and second fixing the keel inside the boat, i’ve only built from kits before so this is new to me any advice is appreciated.

i love tinkering with these boats it takes up time i’m sure my girfreind is going to hate it soon

<font size=“3”><center>http://www.amya.net//index.html</center></font id=“size3”><hr noshade size=“1”>
Try this link - then go to “CLASSES WE SAIL” and then go to US 1 Meter Class. They have an excellent construction and tips manual for pretty much any kind of boat you want to build. Even though they are a 1 Meter class, most of the articles and instructions can translate up to bigger boats, or down to smaller boats.

More to the consturction guide than can be summarized here, but plenty of info on how to make/attach a keel, etc.

OMFG thank you that is just what i needed, i think i may build me one of these:) they look like fun. ntm a good summer project since i’m almost done with my vic, no i just need to understand all of what they were sayin lol o well i’ll get it eventually, i think i may build the “zipper” usom. thanks guy so much i’ll be back with more questions no doubt.

i love tinkering with these boats it takes up time i’m sure my girfreind is going to hate it soon

Put the keel trunk in first using some sort of cradle and either a string or a laser beam to make sure it’s centered and vertical, then turn the hull over, shine a bright light up through it, and use a small dremel type tool to cut the hole in the hull to match the opening in the keel trunk.

If you leave the top of the trunk open and stick a keel or other type of straight edge upright it will be easier to make sure the trunk is perfectly vertical in relation to the hull.

Precision Park West:
Higher Technology Racing Solutions
“Beyond Hyperbole”

The ZipperIII is available from Jim. I think you should try that one. All the rest in the catalog are 10 to 20 years old. The Zipper III was just completed.

That website is the only reason I built a USOM. If any other class had had the same info available there is a good chance I would be sailing something else. I think the website is a real asset to the USOM class. The fact that a lot of the information is applicable to any class doesn’t hurt either. We need more sites like that.

Thanks
Don
Vancouver Island

Not only the Minuteman MYC Greg, not only the Minuteman,…[:D][:D][:D][:D]