NZL hard up for cash?????????????????

just read this, and its hard to belive.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&checked_boats=1190309&slim=quick

-Dan

Hi!
Well, no hula(s) is included in this price, since it’s NZL 10-12 built in 1991. So I have second thoughts on this…
Regards,
Booster

I spent 4-5 nights a week in Nassau for a couple of years, and I never saw a concrete bridge span such as that anywhere on the island.
I guess that pic is from another time.

Ron Bacardi had a magnificent double headsail (roller furling) sloop that was tied up at his dock next to his gorgeous home. I would delay turning final each time go over those houses and look at the boats, and gave the folks on the left side of the plane a nice view as well.

[:-captain]Of course <font size=“2”>NZL</font id=“size2”> is hard up for cash.
Our <font size=“3”>$</font id=“size3”> is worth <font size=“2”>US60</font id=“size2”> cents so everything from offshore costs a fortune.[:-crazy] Two ACC boats for under US $1 million seems like a pretty good deal to me.[:-disguise] If you cant afford that, then you defiantly cant afford to play in their play group.[:-dog]
Whilst NZL 80 & 81 may have been dogs, you can bet these two are well made.
If you can`t spring for the big ones try my size.

Do it NOW before it`s too late.http://nz.msnusers.com/SharedPicturesIanHB/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=59

I may be wrong, but I think you’ll find that NZL 10 and NZL 12 are not owned by Team New Zealand.

I recall that they were purchased by International Americas Cup Challenge after the 2000 regatta, and were used for charter work out of Nassau.

These are the two boats that were used in the “Road to the Americas Cup” regattas in Auckland during the lead up to the 2000 defence. They were never used by New Zealand other that as trila horses, even back in '91. Neither boat ever sailed in the LV Cup.

Muzza

Hi IanHB!
Well: “Whilst NZL 80 & 81 may have been dogs, you can bet these two are well made.” Probably, Clay Oliver and his design team initially was intended to “go straight”, as I discussed in the post “The Hula Full Story”. Thus, the NZ-designs were beamier than those in the LV Cup. The beam-induced stability can be worth the increased drag. However, when the grey-zone inboard water concept probably was incoorprated in all the LC Cup boats their designers made the boats narrower, since the stability already was at hand. In fact, the beamier NZ-boats with their comparatively low sides (free-boards) revealed the NZ’s perfectly legal intentions.
Regards,
Booster

Hi again IanHB!
What about NZL 80&81? Perhaps they can be revamped for Spain? If the measurmentguys keep a close look at the water being pumped in and out. And if it become mandatory to install moisture gagues inboard, there readings can be made by the measurmentguys continously under the races!
Regards,
Booster

Booster - you are kidding right? I never can tell with your posts. :slight_smile:

NZL 82 is now in France (based near Marseille), having been towed by her tender for 220 nautical miles from La Spezia in Italy, where she was offloaded from the ship that took her to Europe from New Zealand. She’ll be sailing in Marseille on August 31.

Muzza

BTW - there is no NZL80 in the IACC class - this sail number “80” is held by the Luna Rossa syndicate.

NLZ80 is however the sail number of Alfa Romeo, Neville Crichton’s Reichel Pugh 90.

Follow this link for some cool pics. http://www.reichel-pugh.com/racing/d118.php

Now that would be a good project for the scale-sail enthsusiasts.

Muzza

Muzza!
Well, during the 1-ton Cup in Marstrand about 1985, the boats adopted dehumidifiers between the races. Simply by mounting a Munsters aggregate to the hatch. Regarding AC in Spain: To keep the moisture gagues dehumidified, of course, such devices can be handy. Thus, using the Munsters concept extremely dry air with low “vapor pressure” attracts moisture molecules. Hence, each moisture gauge can have a fellow Munster and the measurmentguys are pleased!
Regards,
Booster

nzl 81 was a good boat. guys. dont forget that races 2,3,5 were close. race 1 and 4 were bad and that was the fault of the team. you have to remeber that nzl 81 was facing coutts. now as for strapped for cash. why would i want a boat that lost? and built over 13 years ago. sell nzl 32 Black majic. and i am intrested?
cougar
long live the cup and cris dickson[:-bonc01]

Buy them, cut a bit off their masts and keels to depower them, charter them out for ?80 per hour per person. Works for Sunsail in the Solent with the old french boats!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

Hi!
Even better: Buy them, keep their masts and keels, charter them out to NZ or Alinghi (remove the hula(s) if necessary). Works to win th AC in Spain if the measurmentguys are active in the LV Cup, as well as, the AC!
Regards,
Booster

Booster, you’ve lost me completely. I’m so puzzled by your post above. I guess I’ve missed something in translation. Can you clarify it please. Thanks so much. Not sure what you mean by removing the hula - these boats never had a hula.

Cougar - I’m guessing you are meaning NZL 82. NZL 81 did not sail in the Americas Cup. But you are quite right, we didn’t see the best of a fine boat.

Yes - the most likely use for these old boats is either charter work, or to join the group of older IACC boats that race on San Francisco Bay.

Muzza

Hi!
Muzza, I was referring to the NZ boat in the latest AC, and her sistership.
Regards,
Booster

Got it Booster. Thanks for putting me straight on that one.

Happy sailing.

Muzza