Nirvana Questions

Hi Folks!

I am new to this hobby. I wanted to say hi & ask a couple of questions. I just got a new Nirvana and was wondering how you transport the sails to and from the field. The sails are mylar and can get wrinkles in them very easily. Do wrinkles in the sail matter? If they do not matter, is it a good idea to just pre wrinkle the sail? That way wrinkles will not show.
Also why does the boom have an adustment for setting it at different angles?
Does it change the aifoil?

Thanks in advance,
George

George,

No, you don?t want wrinkles in your sails. You need to take care that you don?t by transporting them carefully. Many people make sail boxes to prevent damage. Some are as simple as folding over large sheets of cardboard to building them out of thin plywood. Think of it as a briefcase for your rig. Also have seen very well made rig bags made from heavy Mylar and composite sail cloth. You slide your hole rig into this bag.

Not really sure just how the Nirvana is rigged, but several here have the boat I believe and should be able to help out lots. 

Keep the sails as smooth as possible. You?ll most likely get some creasing over time, but treat them well as they are your engine.

We have over 15 Nirvannas in Central Park this year. Most people just keep the sails on the boat when transporting it. Just keep the nose pointed into the wind and try not to let the sails flap too badly.

Wrinkles are a bad idea, set up properly the sails should be wrinkle free and take on a smooth shape.

Thanks guys for the advice, I will make some cardboard sail protectors.

How about the angle adjustment on the main boom?
What does the main sail do if the boom is allowed to have an angle of less than 90 degrees?

Also what does the loosness of the sail do?
I see that there is an adjustment to move the end of the sail and jib tight and loose.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by pookee

Thanks guys for the advice, I will make some cardboard sail protectors.

How about the angle adjustment on the main boom?
What does the main sail do if the boom is allowed to have an angle of less than 90 degrees?

Also what does the loosness of the sail do?
I see that there is an adjustment to move the end of the sail and jib tight and loose.

<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Hi George -

While these are basic questions, and simple to answer, they are all part of the “concept” of sailing - and each could have a book devoted to it. I will answer rather briefly, and others may add on, but I would suggest a visit to your local library and pick up any of their books on beginning sailing. Some will be more detailed than others, but much as other hobbies/sports, there is so much detail, you may become quickly “overloaded” ![:D]

Normally (usually) the boom is at right angles to the mast, and the mainsheet is holding the end down and parallel to the deck. As you release tension on the main sheet, to allow the boom to move out when sailing downwind, that tension is released, but the sail still has wind on it. This wind, pushing on the sail area will begin to raise the end of the boom, and in a way decrease the sail area available. The mainsail will begin to have a very large curve (belly or camber) to it.

The item in question is called a vang (or boomvang) and it helps keep the boom level when the mainsheet tension is reduced when the boom is over one side or the other of the boat. It also keeps the trailing edge of the sail (leech) tight.

As you have already noticed, the “outhaul” on each of the sails has the ability to tighten or loosen the bottom (foot) of the sails - both jib and main. As you move the outhaul inwards, the sail will develop a bigger “belly” (camber) which can help downwind sailing or if sailing in large waves (more power). On the otherhand, as you move the outhaul back towards the ends of the boom, the foot of the sail will get tighter, and there will be less curve (camber) to the sail. This will help pointing closer to the wind when sailing upwind, and will help depower the mainsail whan sailing in heavy winds. Again, there is a lot of adjustments possible, so learning how to “tune” your boat is something all of us try to become good at - and some are just better than others. Experience will eventually let you know good versus bad adjustments. For the time being, move the outhauls all the way out, then bring them in about 1/4 - 1/2 inch. That would be a good starting point.

One other adjustment that is possible, but not used as often on r/c boats as they do on big boats, is a downhaul. This pulls down on the leading edge of your mainsail and removes lots of wrinkles.

In a sense, you can pull down on the leading edge; out on the bottom of the sail and using the vang you can keep the trailing edge of the sail tight. All of these adjustments working together give your sail shape, remove wrinkles (not creases or fold lines!) and the mainsheet is basically your accelerator.

Again - grab a couple good beginner books on theory of sailing. While we all are here to help, many will use nautical terms and names, so be sure to try to learn them as well - since then we are all speaking the same “language”.

Good luck as you begin to learn - and post your questions here so we all can help you learn. If you have a club nearby - be sure to visit, introduce yourself, as then there will be experiecned people close by (hopefully) to help you with the adjustments, and even answer your questions. Don’t overlook joining the AMYA (American Model Yacht Association) as they have a great quarterly magazine with info on all classes, and information on “how-to-do-it” articles.

Thanks Dick!
I appreciate your explanations.
Do you know of a good book I can start with?
Thanks again,
George

Just plunk “Sailing” into Google and you should hit a half dozen instruction sites.Try this one-just forget the on board stuff.

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/learningtosail/

Thanks
Don
Vancouver Island