News from 2011 Euro Footy GP

Hello,

Thomas put in some more pictures in the german footy forum. Here is the link:

http://www.footy-sailing.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=178

Ina

Hello

the 4. euro footy Grand Prix 2011 in Konstanz is now Geschiche. I am grateful for the model skipper Club Konstanz for the good preparation and implementation of the regatta. The team under the direction of Marc Orthmann has done a very good job. The footy class is known on this international event in Europe. We owe that also your coming to Konstanz. Yet it was also important to learn how to organize such an event. I should like to thank me also for the many clues that I have received, for an optimum racing line.
Congratulation to the winner of the euro footy GP 2011. I have set out the key moments in the following Fotols. The first photo was only sample more to follow.

Hallo,

der 4. Euro Footy Grand Prix 2011 in Konstanz ist nun schon Geschiche. Ich bedanke mich beim Modellskipper Club Konstanz für die gute Vorbereitung und Durchführung der Regatta. Das Team, unter Leitung von Marc Orthmann hat eine sehr gute Arbeit geleistet. Die Footy Class ist durch diese internationale Veranstaltung in Europa weiter bekannt geworden. Das verdanken wir auch eurem Kommen nach Konstanz. Dabei war es uns auch wichtig, zu lernen solche eine Veranstaltung zu organisieren. Ich bedanke mich auch für die vielen Hinweise die ich erhalten habe, für eine optimale Wettfahrtleitung.
Herzliche gratulation an die Gewinner des Euro Footy GP 2011. Die wichtigsten Momente habe ich in den folgenden Fotols festgehalten. Das erste Foto war nur Probe weitere folgen.

The participants of the euro footy GP 2011 in Konstanz

Just a question. Does anyone at these events measure sail area? The black GBR boat sails look huge in comparison to the boy in the chair.

Thanks, Dick

Hi Dick,
I was not at the event so can’t be 100% sure, but no my son’s rigs were not measured, why would they be? the rigs are not restricted - yet-. I know that this is a common topic of conversation and the Ice that you refer to has 2 rigs larger than were taken to Konstanz. the largest used was 650mm tall the next is 750mm and the largest carried by any Ice that I am aware of was 1000mm (1 meter!) tall. This huge rig dwarfs the hull and whilst was not a great success it did prove that the powerful hull shape can carry a lot of sail in the right conditions.

I fear any limit on the size or area of rigs would hinder the development of the more powerful hull shapes favouring a narrow class. I look forward to a major event with stronger winds to see how the development of hull shapes might change then.

Rob - as a multihull enthusiast, I am aware of overpowered rigs, and the need to constantly play to keep the boat upright (we don’t use lead). I have several playgrounds for development within and outside of parameters, but my reason was simply as knowledge as to the sail area size. If the hull can handle it - great - but I wasn’t and won’t comment on the Footy rules. It was an information only question - nothing else implied.

Thanks for the reply however and congratulations on having something that can sail with this much sail area.

Cheers

Dear all Footy sailors and other sailors as well,

As I am now back home I would like to share some words. I would like to take the opportunity to direct a big thank you to the organisers of the Footy Euro Grand Prix 2011, bravo it was a really nice event. I have been to quite a few big events and this was really well organised in terms of social events as well as regatta management. To organise international regattas is not really easy and it takes quite some experience to manage it. We had not too many contacts or protest so that was good.

People are asking about the winning boat, I would like to give you some of my design ideas and the thoughts about this boat…

Some backround…
I am a "big"boat sailor and have been sailing and working with sailing all of my life, I just love sailing. A few years back I moved to Switzerland with my family and I brought my IOM with me, searched the Internet and found some RC sailors in Versoix (www.modelyachtclubgeneve.ch). I decided to start a little business supplying the Swiss market with IOM parts. I scanned some RC sailing forums and found the Footy class as well, as I was looking for something that would be a really good “step in class” to RC sailing as we are struggling with getting people into the RC sail racing also as a school building project.
The Footy class seemed like a really cute/neat/nice class to try. As I am an engineer and like product development I decided to design my own Footy, off I went with a blank sheet of paper and a box of known dimensions;-) I designed a “Volvo ocean racer” styled hard chined hull and decided to use the McRig type rigging, changing it into my own ideas of racing equipment. The boat sailed well but I had absolutely no idea how it would compare with other as we have no other Footy sailors around. So I decided to participate in the Footy European Masters 2011. In the back of my head a new design started to develop of a more sophisticated Footy, the BREITHORN was born. I have decided to name all my boats after the Swiss mountains and the winning boat is now named BREITHORN.

The BREITHORN…
The key factors of the design is:
[ul]
[li] LOW DRAG, this is important in this class as they are too “short”. Pitch pooling is a problem and the boat must be really slippery to prevent this, narrow and to a certain level it is piercing the water. Low drag is equally important for the appendices. I have designed different profiles for the fin and the rudder, Fin=MW01-6.5% and rudder=MW02-8.5%. They seems to be really slippery in the reality as well.[/li][li] RESERVE VOLUME, the boat feature a hard chine above the water line, the bow section under the chine is narrow and fine and slips through the water easily and gives very nice light wind abilities. In the bow section the hull has got a negative flare below the chine that is releasing the waterflow and creates a “little” dynamic lift. When the bow presses down due to more pressure the chine “digs” in to the water and deploys a big reserve volume to keep the bow up while not induce to much drag. This is a very fine balance as too much volume will reduce/break the speed and increase the pressure which will just boosting the pitch pooling even more.[/li][li] HIGH ASPECT LENGHT/WIDTH RATIO, the boat must be as long as possible. It fits diagonally in the box and is quite narrow.[/li][li] NEGATIVE FREEBOARD, the freeboard are negative (tumblehome) in the aft two thirds and “hooks” onto the water very nicely when heeling above 20 degrees. It gives the boat very good “strong” wind abilities.[/li][li] REAR WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION, the floating level of the BREITHORN is shifted to the rear, this gives a submerged transom. I have been testing the tradeoffs with a submerged transom in terms of drag and it is only just noticeable in really light winds with some turbulence. As soon as there is a little wind giving pressure to the rig the boat pitches forward and get a nice release angle in the transom. Same with the bow, in static float position the bow is above the waterline, but as soon as the boat is under dynamic load from the rig it goes gently into the water and get its full waterline length.[/li][li] ROUND, DEEP SECTION, the bilge has got a rounded fairly deep section giving enough displacement. [/li][li] LIGHT DISPLACEMENT, the ideal weight of the boat is 350 grams which is very light and it takes careful building to obtain this weight, however it works well up to 400 grams as well, the winning prototype weights just 400 grams in ready to sail state. [/li][li] SIMPLICITY, last but not least, I wanted to design a boat with a sophisticated design married with simple solutions and ease of use and maintenance. The boat is designed to be moulded even thou it will be possible for homebuilders to build the BREITHORN with strips of wood as well.[/li][/ul]

The BREITHORN seems to perform as expected and further tests will take place during this summer. The first test in the Footy European Masters 2011 went really well and I am very happy for the 1st place as well as the win of the Design Award. However the boat need further tests and some adjustments, mostly in terms of RC installation, battery trim system etc.

My intentions with the BREITHORN…
As the Footy class is really a builders class I have decided to release the plans for the BREITHORN for free. The idea is to release the hull plans as well as a suggested layout for the RC equipment, positions and layout of the fin, rudder and CE for the sails. My intention is to start a thread here on this forum, even thou I am not really used to take an active role in the forums:-)
The BREITHORN will also be released as a kit containing assembled hull/deck, a moulded carbon fin (not installed), moulded carbon rudder as well as some small bits and pieces. Hopefully I will even provide the bulb. The boat will be moulded in Kevlar® to obtain a very durable and resistant hull, as the hull structure has almost no structural stress points only a few carbon reinforcements are needed in the keel/mast sections. It will be moulded with a thin coat of white polyurethane primer.

Timeline…
The plans will be released in the end of the summer (Aug/Sept) due to some final testing. Plans will be A4 printable pdfs. The hull kits will be available during end of September 2011. All will be available on my site: XXX (awaiting approval from the postmaster of this forum)

Rigging…
I am almost finished with a full set of drawings to my design of the high aspect FOOTY UNARIG including sails outlines, reinforcements etc etc. This will also be readily available during the end of the summer.

Last thing, I am not used to have an active role in forums, so please give me some feedback if I am on the wrong way or something;-)

Enjoy!

/Marcus WAHLIN SUI-120

Marcus
It is very good news that you propose making your ‘Breithorn’ plans freely available to the wider Footy community. I think this gesture is very much in the spirit of sharing ideas which characterises the Footy class. It’s even better news that you’ll be selling a kit for those who want to ‘join in’ with a very competitive and fun package but without the time or inclination to undertake a self build.
Please let me know when they’re available. I’m still not sure which category I will fall in to as I’m also very tempted to try one of Flavio’s wonderful semi scale Footys. There’s only so many projects that should be lined up ready for next winter.
Regards
Phil

Hi,

one picture is better than one hundred of words…

see here more photos of Konstanz championship…

Flavio

Folletto ITA - 150

Hi ,

these are new photos of races showing the great number of “ICE” footies sailing on the lake.

Without doubt , next time, we will see a large fleet of Breithorns too…

Flavio

Folletto ITA 150

Hello
Here the running list of the 5 euro footy Grand Prix in Konstanz