New rc landyacht video....

…shot yesterday in 10-15 mph winds. The parking lot was small, so I found myself having to turn as soon as I was up to decent speed.
http://tinyurl.com/ypszza

Sorry if I seem to be “hogging” the gallery section, but since no one else is using it, I figured “what the heck”.

Adding the motocycle sound while accelerating was a neat dea!

Tomo,
That was the sound of the wind on the sail…just kidding…:wink:

Here’s another version from the same day, a bit rough because it was my daughter’s first time using this camera:

http://www.livevideo.com/video/005CAE80410A4E2BBE5F7B81E88DD064/k1-model-landyacht-1.aspx

While the paint was drying on my Footy hull I took a break with my daughter to do some more filming. This is my K1-SS model; SS stands for “supersized”.
It measures over 6’ long & 4.5’ wide.
http://www.livevideo.com/video/66C51644589844ABADA6BF4797281F12/k1-ss-model-landyacht.aspx

Were those tires soft or were they … errr, ummmm, never mind :wink:

:D:D:rolleyes:

I’ll take a point for that one! Was worth it.

Dick,
What are you trying to do, get me in trouble again?? :wink: :wink:

Actually, these were the Dubro pneumatic tires which are in between the skate wheels & the foam wheels in terms of traction. It’s hard to see in the video, but when the wind pipes up they start to sideslip a bit, but it’s a very controllable “crabbing” motion

I took the afternoon off & plan to pressure wash the “big” boat (below).

Bill

But of course - better you than me ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually I still have those scooter wheels and haven’t found an easy way to measure just how soft/hard they really are. Seller didn’t know and didn’t care. Do you have a measurement device? I can ship them to you for a test if you have a way to do it. I think they are a bit softer than in-line skate wheels - but cannot substantiate with factual measurement how much, only subjective “feel” (by finger squeeze).

:zbeer:

Dick,
No I don’t. I would suggest going to a shop specializing in inline skates & checking them out for comparison. Skate wheels will have 2 numbers printed on them. One is the diameter (in mm), the other is the Durometer rating (the lower the number, it is softer with better “grip”). The best comparison would not to try to feel the softness, but to drag the wheels sideways on a hard surface & feel the friction on each.
Bill

Does “pre-loading” the weight of these depending on wind strength play an important part - or is the thought “lighter is better” for acceleration reasons?

Dick,
This is the classic design conundrum: what will increase performance of one characteristic will also decrease performance of another. Balancing these trade offs is at the core of any design decision. In this case, heavier wheels will act as ballast (increasing stabilty & momentum), but as you point out will also impede acceleration. There is no one “correct” answer in this case, but I guess my preference would lean towards lighter (foam) wheels. This will allow faster speeds in light winds, but ballast weight can always be added elsewhere when the wind pipes up.
Bill