New/old hull mold

i have a mold that i got off of a freind of mine a long time ago (actually my highschool sailing coach). the mold was originally made from a fiberglass hull being pressed into plaster and left to dry. the dimensions are as follows 36" long, 4" draft (bottom of hull to deck), 8 3/4" max beam, 6 inch max beam (bottom of the hull), 6" deck exit, 3 1/8" exit (bottom of the hull, hard chine/skiff style waterline). the mold has nice smooth curved sides leading to a flat bottom… which i’m not happy with i’d like to get some curve into it towards the bow/mid section.

Pretty much i decided its time to do something with this mold. from what my freind told me about the boats he made from this mold when it was in its prime, they were fast, sea worthy, and would plane and surf in heavy air. when i say sea worthy i mean lake st clair waves, not pond waves. i was considering using USOM fins with 3-4 lbs. ballast and between 500-600 sq inches of sail area. the rig and sail plan are going to be of my own design. i have pictures of the mold, i can post them with a brief explanation as to how.

I’ll keep everyone updated with progress, but what should i use to fill the pits and such in this mold, would bondo work?

Victoria “t” no longer a one design, and dedicated express 27 foredeck

Sounds cool.
Got any pics?

<font size=“1”>19 out of 7 people have trouble with statistics</font id=“size1”>

I take it the mold is actual plaster. If so, easiest and most effective to work with for filling and fairing would be to use “lightweight spackling”, available from most any paint supplier.

It’s basically fast-drying acrylic resin filled with micro-balloons - essentially shrink-free, light, smooth, easily spread, and sandable.

Bruce Crichton
AMYA 14043
Footy #761
footy.rcsailing.net
footyclass.org

yes, i have many pictures. i’ll try to get them up soon, and thanks the spackling should work great!

Victoria “t” no longer a one design, and dedicated express 27 foredeck