New Footy - Just add water

Add AMYA number 1008(64) to the built and registered boat list!:zbeer:

I have had this Razor on the workbench for some time and I finally finished it!:smiley:

She is nothing fancy, but I am happy with how she turned out. The skin is 1/32 ply with balsa bracing; three coats of spar urethane was used for seal and finish. I used components I had laying around for control: Futaba Attach 2-channel AM radio, Futaba 122JE Receiver, Cirrus CS-80BB for main, JR 341 for rudder, and a 4-cell 700mAh Ni-Cd. I went with a McCormack rig for simplicity. The sail material is non-descript nylon rip-stop. Total weight is 19oz (538.6g) with 8oz (226.8g) of keel weight.

I will have to wait until the Spring for the shake-down cruise. We had our first snow here in Northern Virginia yesterday. Some things I know I will consider changing, post sailing, will be: the keel weight–she sits a little low; and the sail–I like the ‘look’ of the sail but it is small and a bit top heavy.

Thanks to all in the group for ‘posting’ your help. I have been lurking for some time and appreciate following and learning from the threads.

Photo attached.

Regards,

Scott Allen

Looking good mate! Well done.

Its great to have another footy in our midst!!!

Scott, looks very nice

To reduce the keel weight without radical surgery you might consider drilling holes in the existing weight and filling them with wood plugs, following with filler to fair.

Warning, Footying can be addictive

andrew

Thanks for compiments 420sailor and Andrew. I will see how the boats sails and if I need to take weight off I will look into the drill and plug method. She is not that heavy, maybe 1/16 lower then suggested waterline.

Scott

Looks good, Scott. You can bring it to the next Raleigh regatta. (whenever I figure out when that’ll be).

John

John,

Thanks. We wll have three on the pond next year in the club, so we will see if a new class takes hold.

Scott

Scott,

fwiw my razor sits with three points touching the water - two transom corners and the chine point at the front.

It isn’t worth much as trevor’s Boots-sailed razor sits probably more than 10mm deeper, and it wins things!

I fear the important component is the nut behind the wheel
andrew

Mentioned indispatches - fame at last.

The Boots rigged Razor to which Andrew refers weighs in at 21.25 oz or 602 grams. This is only 1.25 oz more than Bill Hagerup’s suggested ready to sail weight so I’ve no idea why in sits so low at the bows - the stern is no too high either. I wouldn’t have thought that 1.25 oz would make that much difference to the ride height.

The hull is completely standard 1/16" balsa sheet glued with “weatherproof” PVA wood glue. The appendages are 2 thicknesses of 1/16" ply. Everthing is covered with a primer and a couple of coats of International Japlac paint

The radio is a straight out of the box Hitec 2 channel affair which means chunky Rx and servos. The aerial is taped outside the hull immediately below deck level.

The sails however are state of the art McCormack rigs. The one to which Andrew refers is a Boots the chemist carrier bag, two layers stategically cut and sealed with a soldering iron so that the company name is visible. ( If I start doing really well I’ll ask for sponsorship :rolleyes: ) The “mast” is a 3.2 mm carbon tube and the boom a 1.5 mm carbon tube. The boom is attached to the 1/16" piano wire McC Z piece with a length of rubber band and the outhaul to the boom is a length of electrical insulating tape.

Several of my earlier McC sails used .002" drafting film with 6 mm wooden dowel “Masts” and 4 mm wooden dowel booms. In any reasonable breeze these work quite well, but in very light winds the sail would have difficulty setting. So the plastic bag sail is light enough to turn very easily and the plastic sets as well. It may well not be the optimum aerodynamically, but it works and there’s just enough room for the sail number :smiley:

I don’t know about "the nut behind the wheel " comment. This is not only my first footy but is my only boat - ever. Most sailing is done solo on the local canal with one cometitive run at the Burton club - where I learned the importance of light rigs in light winds and two runs at the Bournville club.

Cheers,

firstfooty