My RG65 Sailboat build

Could someone translate "largeur flottaison’ for me? I tried Babelfish with no luck.
Thanks
Don

Longueur de flottaison = Length water line

Largeur de flottaison = waterline beam

Thanks
Don

Hmmmmm - does this mean we “might” have someone else interested in the class ?

:smiley: :smiley: :zbeer:

Not really, I’m still tying to decide whether to switch from US1M to IOM. Although I like the simpler rules and it would fit in the car easier.
Don

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ahhhaaaaa - - even more reasons why I have a “feeling” we’ll be seeing you !

Build for the RG-65 but using your ideas of an US1M/IOM - MUCH less expensive to identify a good (or bad) design - then go build a 1 Meter

I reiterate I’m still building mine, and water is still solid here - but the way my first hull reacted to small changes in weight location in the tub, was amazing. Plus at two pounds, you should get at least another 50 mpg or so by not hauling one of those 5-10 lb. behemoths to the race site ! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, in trying to get this class off the ground we all would welcome your interest.

Hmmm, maybe my completed molds might tempt him…:slight_smile:

Toad, I’ve been halfway following your mold build but had not noticed if you had said. Are you planing on offering any hulls for sale? Or is anyone else offering hulls?

Once the hull has been completed and water tested, I will be willing to offer them for sale to help jump start the RG-65 class here in North America. There are several builders in S. America that currently do offer glass hulls for sale.

Hope to get my boat building supplies shortly and lay up several glass hulls.

cool, I’ll be watching…

Interested in making your own boat molds? I now have a step by step instructional pdf. for viewing on my website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~puddlepirate/
You will find it under the RG-65 Sailboat tab.

RT
When you pull hull from the POR-O-Cast mold do you have to use any release agents?
Don

You spray mist on thin coat of the same release agent used to make the molds into the molds before laying up a hull. It drys in about 15 minutes.

When the lay-up hull has cured, just flex the sides of the mold a bit and the finished hull will more or less just pop right out. I wash the mold release off with warm water and dishwater soap.

First lay-up curing in the molds. Will pop them out Monday and see what they look like.

Great to see interest developing in the US. I’ve been thinking about this class for awhile Looking forward to hearing more…

Toby
Sheboygan Falls, WI

First hull pull from molds. The deck and hull have a combined weight of 11 oz.

Wow that is nice. If you ever decide to sell some let me know. Byron

Sven -

per your request, I have weighed my Hull #2 which is sealed with epoxy and only has bulkheads installed - no inwales, kingplank, keel trunk, bow bumper, etc. and weight came in a 2.8 oz. (79.38 gr.) and I weighed the deck from Hull #1 since it was still not attached, and with it sealed as well, it weighed 1.1 oz. (31.18 gr.).

My total weight (compared to your glass hull) is 3.9 oz. - or 110.56 gr.

During building, I did not concentrate (or consider) weight as I built, so my guess is that I probably could also shave off a few oz. as well.

Photos are of what was weighed.

Will try a number of different lay-ups using no gelcoat. No gelcoat would save probably about 6-7 oz.?

I don’t have any carbon tape here but do have a bunch of thin fexible carbon rod from kites. Will run some down the length of the hull as stiffeners.