My next boat

Hi mates,
I’m working on my new boat for the 2012 season but have been running into problems recently. Should I paint the boat in red or will a blue boat be much faster?

;)Cheers;)
Rolando

split the difference. one hull red, one hull blue…

Red and blue together would make it “Deep Purple”! :slight_smile:

And I think you want a boat that really “Rocks” - right? :cool:

Metallic deep purple for your “Purple Heart” or your “Highway Star” ->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRt3PIDER94&ob=av2e

Thanks for all the ideas guys,
It did help me much to decide on the color scheme. I will paint all three hulls of my new boat in fire-red. Should I upload some pics of the painted boat when done?

Now I’m thinking about the other two boats that will follow - any color ideas? :wink:

Cheers
Rolando

Cheers
Rolando

Launched my new boat in a light breeze for the first time today - fast and cool

Cheers
Rolando

Hi Rolando!

Your new boat really looks good!

Also looks to me as if you/Phanchita have copied the curve of the crossbars I designed - right?
Did Phanchita make new moulds for them?

Also for the new green “Nightmare Mk.VIII” for Melbourne/Australia!
Well done!!!

Keep up the good work and the fun you have with your son.

Idealist

PS: Could you tell me/us (more) about the design changes for the hulls of your “Firedragon”?
What is different compared to the “Nightmare Mk.VIII”-hulls?

Hi Idealist,
thank you for the compliments.
Siri does not have much time for new designs now - so I’m helping out a little bit.
I designed the FireDragon’s crossbars - I did the curves to look as I expected - no copy intended at all. The FireDragon’s floats are my design;slim with more scoop and rocker than the Nightmare 7 & 8 and enough volume at the right positions to keep the boat from stumbling. I designed them last year together with the FireDragon center hull. Took some time to complete the moulds for the center hull which is much slimmer than the Nightmare 8 center hull but I managed to do them about a month ago and build my red FireDragon. The moulds will be with Rcsails who will do future boats.
BTW - I did the female moulds for modified hulls of Siri’s old 2m project this spring - it’s too hot for me now, I will continue the project as soon as temperatures allow.

I just came home from the first test run of my son’s future boat - a Boutifar equipped with my beams and my new flat top sail. It was great fun - my son is very happy today.

I will upload more pictures to RCSails Gallery tonight and will upload a short video clip or two to Siri’s channel at YouTube the next few days.

Cheers
Rolando

Here are some clips from yesterday:

//youtu.be/ikHvYtGcoHM

//youtu.be/dp3YhTdUsNQ

//youtu.be/P6VcwGpGsmk

Cheers
Rolando

You might be able to pick up a bit more speed if you can stiffen the mast. It bends off quite a bit in some of the reaching images.

Have you the ability to have both boats on the water at the same time, so we can see both relative speed AND pointing ability? Would be nice to see the both of them heading in the same direction. When by themselves they always look fast, but can’t tell how well they point when going to weather.

Thanks, Dick

Hi Dick,
well spotted, the mast bends. I was keen to get the boats into the water before school holidays are over, so I took a 12mm mast instead of my usual 14mm mast because 14mm carbon tubes are in back order. I will swap the mast as soon as I get hold of the 14mm tubes.
I can have both boats sailing against each other at the next school holidays in autumn - I have to change the mast and build a second rig, now I share one rig on the two boats.

Cheers
Rolando

Some more clips from my second sailing trip with the FireDragon:

//youtu.be/6oYzF0EcQyw

//youtu.be/Q_0kbr6tuYg

more clips to come soon…

Cheers
Rolando

Maybe different wind conditions, but the last video (above) the red boat seems to handle the sailing a bit better than the yellow boat. (It could just be my personal view, of course) but the red boat didn’t seem to exhibit any handling difficulties and just seems to sail (and look) better on the water. Very nice build job on both boats.

Dick

Hi Dick,
the red boat sails very stable in the light winds we have now. I have experimented with different rudders on the FireDragon - my new slim rudder did stall easy so I swapped it to my old proven rudder.
The day we sailed the yellow Boutifar the wind was a bit stronger - the boat did sail a bit more nervous than the red boat.
I did some more sailing in light winds with the FireDragon, this time we had some cool gusts.
Have a look at the clips below.

//youtu.be/RkKgJfeLgA8

//youtu.be/uVyXHhbL2U8

//youtu.be/UKpS5QscTKY

I have been sailing my my son’s old 65M Adrenaline Catamaran today on the lake after I altered the mast tube to accept my standard rigs and my 65M Sowelu Trimaran. I have done some clips and will upload them over the weekend.

Cheers
Rolando

Another set of clips from the last weekend. I have sailed the ‘FireDragon’ and the ‘Inferno’ with the same rig in more wind and gusts. While the ‘FireDragon’ sailed well with the #1 rig it could have been smaller for the ‘Inferno’.

//youtu.be/3rCAAXdBk54

//youtu.be/YdBFdt8gGFU

//youtu.be/Ye68RyM3JZc

Cheers
Rolando

Waiting for a windy day for weeks, I have been lucky yesterday. With winds ranging from 2kts to 15kts in gusts it was great fun to sail one floated and on foils.

Here are some clips:

//youtu.be/8rFwHw88NV8

My FireDragon sailing fast and on one float

//youtu.be/cEHH6C26Eas

My FireDragon foiling

Cheers
Rolando

New onboard clip of my Mini40 Trimaran ‘FireDragon’

//youtu.be/OPyjpSyV3j8

Have fun watching

Roland