Multihull Footy

My only word is Beautiful. Wish I had your talent. What is the weight of each hull? I would like to make a Footy from one of them.

Nigel, your glass work is beautiful, more a piece of art than a model craft in my humble opinion.
We all look forward to more photo`s of your progress.
Best wishes, Ian.

Morning all.

Ya, I’ve been in cat mode these days. Even carved-up a powercat last night.
Going to glass the shape today-ish.

The hulls pictured weigh 2x15gm.

No talent here. :slight_smile:

Like my buddy who is very proficient on the guitar says. “I didn’t get this way from talent”. And he’s right. It’s all practice. The more you experiment, the more you will find out stuff. And hopefully it’s the good stuff. :wink:

Nigel how right you are ~ it is just that ~ I have fond out with my bottle boats that in order to make it repeatable I had to practise and experiment

Like I found that by running the drill back wards with a hole saw it would still cut the bottle but it did not grab it!
Rgds
AndyT

Hi Nigel - Looks to me (from the large weave in the photos) like you are using 6 oz. cloth for the layup. That seems a bit heavy and a bit of an epoxy sponge for lightweight hulls. It could also be loose weave 4 oz. that is specific to vacuum bagging, but that technique would be overkill for these small boats.

I know that its quite pricey, but 3 oz. cloth would be a more appropriate weight cloth. But even this light cloth is not competitive weight-wise with other construction methods or sheathing weight fiberglass. Carbon is sexy though!

Nigel,

Beautiful work! Please don’t kid yourself about the skill required, MY experiments usually only tell me how NOT to do things the next time!

Bill

Out of curiosity I Googled Carbon Fibre Cloth and found a supplier in Vancouver, but the cloth was all listed by thickness in Millimetres. How does this compare with a nominal weight in Ounces?
Rod

@Niel. I just used what was in the shop. Yep, there are many ways to skin a cat. That’s why these wee boats are cool. Seen that Brigantine?:cool:

@Sailtwister. That’s what my experiments tell me as well, then I proceed to the next, with a little bit more wisdom.

@rod. Usually the thickness will be in the info. or specs about the given weight of cloth. I’ve seen In metric, where the cloth’s weight is gram per meter squared. And also in imperial, like ounces per square yard. But only the thickness?..Don’t know.

If your having problems searching your area for supplies, check out shops that use the stuff (boat shops, aircraft shops, truck cap mfgs. etc), and ask where to go in terms of supplies.